Last Updated on December 28, 2022
Collegelearners will provide you with all the relevant information you are looking for on medical laboratory science at tut requirements, laboratory courses at unisa, laboratory courses in south africa, medical laboratory science requirements at uj and so much more.
How to be a Medical Laboratory Technician in South Africa
Get the Required Qualifications
Depending on the specific career path you wish to take, you will typically need the following qualifications to become a Medical Laboratory Technician in South Africa:
- Certificate (National Senior Certificate or NC(v))
- Diploma (National Diploma in Biomedical Technology)
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Bachelor of Technology in Biotechnology
- Bachelor of Health Science in Medical Laboratory Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Internship (12-month internship )
- Final Assessment administered by Society for Medical Laboratory Technologists of South Africa
Demonstrate Competence in the Required Subjects
Different educational institutions may have different admission requirements; however, you will typically be required to demonstrate competency in the following subjects:
- Physical sciences and/or life sciences
Accumulate Years of Relevant Study and Experience
Medical Laboratory Technicians in South Africa typically study for more than 2 years.
Please note that upon completion of your studies, you will need to be assessed by the Society for Medical Laboratory Technologists of South Africa as well as register with the Health Professionals Council of South Africa (HPCSA) in order to work as a medical laboratory technician.
Find Relevant Employment Opportunities
There are plenty of employment opportunities for Medical Laboratory Technicians in South Africa who often work in any of the following places:
- Private pathology practices
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Laboratories in blood transfusion services
- National Health Laboratory Services
- CSIR, South African Medical Research Council (and similar bodies)
- Forensic Science laboratories
- Veterinary practices
- Pharmaceutical companies
laboratory courses in south africa
Laboratory Training Courses in South Africa
Discipline and quality are important aspects for smooth and trouble-free operation in all workplaces, especially laboratories. Laboratory training courses cover various areas within a laboratory, such as instrumental techniques, laboratory activities, quality and safety control and laboratory management.
MiChem Dynamics is a reputable laboratory training company, providing a number of laboratory training courses and workshops for clients in South Africa. Just like any other business, employees and management need to stay up to date regarding new techniques, International Standards, management systems and more to ensure that the organisation not only complies with regulations, but creates opportunity for improvement. Trust the experienced laboratory training company in South Africa to provide your laboratory with a wealth of knowledge and information that is easy to implement, and that will improve workflow and efficiency. Contact MiChem Dynamics today for more information about the laboratory training courses you are interested in.
Training courses for your laboratory by MiChem Dynamics
- ISO/IEC 17025:2017 Laboratory Quality Management System Training: This laboratory training course is applicable to all laboratories, covering International Standards for all organisations performing tests and/ or calibration.
- ISO/IEC 17025:2017 Laboratory Quality Management System Transition Workshop: This 1 Day Workshop explains the transition from IS0/IEC 17025:2005 to IS0/IEC 17025:2017, and how to implement these changes in your laboratory.
- Internal Auditing in the Laboratory Training: This course has been designed for managers and supervisors, and aims to give an understanding of an effective internal audit system in the laboratory. Participants will understand the principles of Internal auditing as described in ISO 19011,and be able to develop an internal audit programme.
- Root Cause Analysis Training: Identifying problems within the organization is essential for the improvement of quality, workflow and efficiency. This laboratory training course will help the management team to better identify problems and determine the root cause, in order to implement corrective actions, as well as preventative measures.
- Laboratory Management & Leadership Training: Regardless of the organisation and industry, management staff require certain skills in order to succeed as a leader. Our laboratory management and leadership training will equip the management team with the necessary knowledge and skills to effectively transition from a technical position into a management role.
- Laboratory Risk Management According to ISO/IEC 17025:2017: Risk-based thinking is a beneficial systematic approach in order to minimise and manage risks effectively. Because there are risks in all laboratory systems and activities, risk management is important for quality management.
- Management Review Workshop: This 1 Day workshop is aimed at providing the management team with the knowledge and skills to perform efficient management review meetings. Let your management meetings add value to the performance and quality of your laboratory.
- Accreditation Documents Training: This laboratory training course covers the tools and information for effective implementation of Accreditation Document.
- Microbiology Method Validation and Uncertainty of Measurement Workshop: This laboratory training course is a 1 Day course, and is focussed on the validation and quality assurance in Microbiological testing.
- Chemistry Method Validation and Uncertainty of Measurement Workshop: This 1 Day laboratory training workshop 1 Day Workshop is focused on the validation of methods used by Chemical in the Coal, Oil, Petroleum, Metals and Minerals, Food, Pharmaceutical, Water and Related Industries Laboratories.