Last Updated on December 20, 2022
The University of Pisa (Italian: Università di Pisa, UniPi) is a public research university located in Pisa, Italy. It was founded in 1343 by an edict of Pope Clement VI. It is the 19th oldest extant university in the world and the 10th oldest in Italy. The university is ranked within the top 10 nationally and the top 400 in the world according to the ARWU and the QS. It houses the Orto botanico di Pisa, Europe’s oldest academic botanical garden, which was founded in 1544.
The University of Pisa is part of the Pisa University System, which includes the Scuola Normale Superiore and the Sant’Anna School of Advanced Studies. The university has about 50,000 students (of which 46,000 are undergraduate and postgraduate studies, and 3,500 are doctoral and specialization studies).
In the fields of philology and cultural studies, the University of Pisa is a leading member of ICoN, an inter-university consortium of 21 Italian universities supported by the Ministry of Education, Universities and Research, as well as a member of the European University Association, the Partnership of a European Group of Aeronautics and Space Universities network and the Cineca consortium. It’s the only university in Italy which has become a member of the Universities Research Association.
Among its notable graduates there are several national and foreign political leaders including two Italian presidents, five Popes, five Italian prime ministers and three Nobel Laureates as students, faculty or staff affiliates.
Pisa has an athletic rivalry with the University of Pavia, which traditionally culminates in the Pisa-Pavia Regatta (Regata Pisa-Pavia [it]), the oldest competition of this kind in Italy, and second in Europe only to the Oxford Cambridge boat race.
|Global – Overall|
|National – Overall|
|ARWU National||1-3|
- In 2011, the University of Pisa came in first place among the Italian universities, according to the Academic Ranking of World Universities and within the best 30 universities in Europe.
- Times Higher Education World University Rankings ranks University of Pisa among the 350 best world universities.
- Times Higher Education Europe Teaching Rankings ranks University of Pisa among the top 100 European Universities for teaching.
- QS World University Rankings ranks University of Pisa in the world’s top 100 for Computer Science & Information Systems, Physics & Astronomy, Mathematics, Classics & Ancient History, Library & Information Management.
- The U.S. News & World Report places the University of Pisa among the world’s 300 best universities.
- The European Research Ranking, a ranking based on publicly available data from the European Commission database, puts the University of Pisa among the best in Italy and the best performing European research institutions.
University of Pisa is ranked 151 in Academic Ranking of World Universities by Shanghai Jiao Tong University and has an overall score of 3.9 stars, according to student reviews on Studyportals, the best place to find out how students rate their study and living experience at universities from all over the world.
On this page you can see how the university is ranked on international rankings and find out what students are saying about their study experience.
University of Pisa Rankings
University of Pisa is ranked #189 in Best Global Universities. Schools are ranked according to their performance across a set of widely accepted indicators of excellence. Read more about how we rank schools.
University of Pisa Rankings
University of Pisa Subject Rankings
- #158in Agricultural Sciences (tie)
- #307in Biology and Biochemistry (tie)
- #211in Cardiac and Cardiovascular Systems
- #318in Chemistry (tie)
- #196in Clinical Medicine (tie)
- #226in Computer Science (tie)
- #241in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (tie)
- #50in Endocrinology and Metabolism (tie)
- #293in Engineering (tie)
- #415in Environment/Ecology (tie)
- #170in Mathematics
- #332in Molecular Biology and Genetics (tie)
- #273in Neuroscience and Behavior (tie)
- #189in Oncology (tie)
- #188in Pharmacology and Toxicology
- #25in Physics
- #155in Plant and Animal Science (tie)
- #144in Radiology, Nuclear Medicine and Medical Imaging
- #439in Social Sciences and Public Health (tie)
- #184in Space Science (tie)
- #208in Surgery (tie)