Last Updated on January 17, 2023
You’re here to find out more about studying abroad at the University of Cologne. You want to know whether the programme is right for you and what it would be like living in Germany. The good news is that the University of Cologne has everything you need to know, but we’ll do a quick introduction for you anyway, just so you can settle in quickly.
The University of Cologne is located in the beautiful city of Cologne, Germany. The university was established in 1991 and is one of the oldest universities in Germany. With an enrollment of over 48, 841 students, the University of Cologne is one of the prestigious universities in Germany with a national rank of 12 by QS World.
The University of Cologne is divided into six faculties and offers around 102 undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in the fields of Political Science, Economics, Health Economics, Marketing, International Management, Neurosciences to Biochemistry, Sociology, and Social Research.
- The University of Cologne conducts a qualifying examination known as the TestAS. Students need to clear this exam if they seek admission at the University of Cologne.
- The University of Cologne offers undergraduate programs in the German language only, therefore students are required to have at least DSH Level-2 German Language proficiency.
- The applications can be being accepted in Summer and Winter Intake Sessions.
- The University of Cologne doesn’t’ charge any application fee.
|Application Portal||Online -Portal|
|International Application Deadline||August 20 (Winter Semester)|
|Programs Offered||Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral degrees|
|Intake Session||Summer and Winter|
|International Admission Help Desk||Contact Form|
University of Cologne Admission Deadlines
Students should prepare all their application related documents 3-4 months prior to the start of their course. The university takes a longer time to process all international applications, therefore, it is advised to students to prepare all their documents and VISA in advance to avoid the last-minute hassle.
The deadlines are as follows:
|Summer Application||Apply by January 15|
|Winter Application||Apply by August 20|
University of Cologne International Students Admissions
The University of Cologne is one of the largest universities in Germany. The University holds an eminent position in the area of strategy development for its future prospects as well as teacher education. The criteria for the selection of international students interested in studying bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral programs are different from the domestic applicants.
Application Portal: Application Portals vary with one’s qualifications. Non – EU applicants with direct (non-direct) university entrance qualification – Apply here ( Apply here)
Application Fees: N/A
Admission Requirement: The admission prerequisites for international applicants from the European Union and Non-European Union for admission at University of Cologne are as mentioned below:
- Completed Application
- Certified Copies of Transcripts
- University Entrance Qualification (Hochschulzugangsberechtigung)
- Bachelor’s Degree in the relevant field (Graduate Admissions)
- Marksheets of all the examinations undertaken.
- Credential Evaluations in accordance with Center For Foreign Educational Affairs at the Secretary of the Conference of the Ministers for Cultural and Educational Affairs.
- Accompanied by a German/English translation if required.
- English and German Language Proficiency
- TestAS results
- An original printed copy of Individual APS certificate, for applicants from China and Vietnam only
- Certified copies of school reports, for International Baccalaureate holders only
- Students should have sufficient knowledge about the courses undertaken.
- Certain Master’s Degrees requires:
- Letter of Motivation
- Personal Statement
- Copy of Passport
- Certificate of finances
- Health Certificate
Test score for Proficiency in the German Language
Applicants must have German Language Proficiency for the programs taught in German. All bachelor’s programs are taught in German. All the full-time student applicants whose native spoken language is not German need to show proficiency in the language in terms of reading, writing as well as comprehending. The requirements can be fulfilled by any of the following certified proofs:
- Certificate DHS-2
- TestDaf Certificate with the minimum qualification of C1-C2 level or TDN 4
- Deutsches Sprachdiplom Certificate
- Goethe Institut C2 certificate
- OSD C2 level
- C2 certificate
- Tele C2 level
- FSP or Feststellungsprüfung Certificate
Test score for Proficiency in English for International Students
Applicants for the programs being taught in the English language whose first language is not English must demonstrate their abilities in the language wherein they must be proficient in reading, writing, and comprehending the language. The tests with their minimum requirements are:
|Test||Minimum required score|
|Cambridge||At least B-grade in CAE, at least B-grade or better in BED, CPE|
|IELTS||7.0 with at least 6.0 in each component|
|TOEFL||Internet-based: 100; with at least 70 in each counterpart|
Country specific requirements for admission at University of Cologne
Here are the country-specific requirements for some countries if one wants to take admission at the University of Cologne:
|Country||Undergraduate Requirements||Graduate Requirements|
|India||High School Certificate (HSC) with minimum of 60%.||A 3-year bachelor’s degree with 60% or above.|
|Bangladesh||High School Certificate (HSC) with minimum of 60%.||A 4-year bachelor’s degree with 50% or above|
|Nepal||Higher Secondary Education Certificate with 70% or above.||A bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 60%.|
|Thailand||High School Certificate (HSC) with a minimum of 60%.||A bachelor’s degree with a minimum GPA of 3.0 or above (on a 4.0 scale).|
|Indonesia||Certificate of Graduation from Academic/Islamic Secondary School with an overall grade of 7 or above.||A bachelor’s degree with a minimum GPA of 3.0 or above (on a 4.0 scale).|
Visa Requirements for International Students
International applicants can apply for a student visa to study in Germany right after an application letter is issued.
Visa Application Documents:
- Valid Passport
- Proof of Financial Support
- Amount Deposited in German blocked bank account.
- German Resident Permit.
- Academic Qualifications and Language Proficiency
- Acceptance Letter from the university
- Health Insurance
- Visa Application Processing Fee
University of Cologne Undergraduate Admissions
University of Cologne offers over 100 specialized degree programs in German across more than 300 courses. The University of Cologne offers undergraduate degrees in German only, therefore students are required to clear German language proficiency exams to be eligible to study at the university.
- Admission portal: Uni–assist or KLIPS
- Application fee: Not Applicable
- Complete Application
- University Entrance Qualification
- Official High School Transcripts
- German-language proficiency (at least at the level of DSH-2)
- TestAS certificate
- Statement of Finance
- Valid Passport
- Letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- Portfolio- as per the program.
University of Cologne Graduate Admissions
It offers Master’s and Doctoral degrees. The medium of instructions for some programs is English.
Application Portal: Uni-Assist Portal
Application Fee: N/A
Admission Requirements: The program-specific admission requirements are tabulated below:
|Course||Application Deadline||Minimum ECTS Credit Requirements||Minimum GPA in UG Coursework||Language Proficiency Required|
|Master of Business Administration||August 20||48 credits in Business Administration; 18 credits in Economics; 15 in Statistics &/or Mathematics||2.7||German & English|
|International Management (CEMS MIM)||March 31||48 in Business/Administration & Economics with a minimum of 18 ECTS credits in Economics; 10 in Statistics &/or Mathematics||2.5||English and 2nd CEMS Language with a minimum B2 level in native or other languages|
|Master Economics||August 20||40 in Mathematics 48 in Business, Administration & Economics or Social Science with a minimum of 18 ECTS credits in Economics and 15 in Statistics &/or Mathematics||2.7||English|
|Master Economics Research||July 15||48 in Mathematics/Statistics and 20 in Economics OR 48 in Economics and at least18 in Statistics/Mathematics||2.5||English|
|Master Health Economics||August 20||60 in Health Economics or in the field Business, Administration & Economics; 15 in Medicine; 18 in the field of Methods in Health Economics||2.7||German and English|
|Master Economics System||August 20||20 in Information System; 30 in Business, Administration & Economics;30 in Informatics/Mathematics/Statistics or in all||2.7||German and English|
|Master in Political Science||August 20||36 in Political Science; 9 in Methodology & Empirical Social Research||2.7||English|
Applicants must go through the program-specific admission requirements for both Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees before making an application. International applicants must apply for a visa as soon as possible. Admission decisions will be communicated via email. Students will receive login details for the University’s KLIPS 2.0 online application portal to the same email address as mentioned in the application. The application status and admission decision will also be indicated in the KLIPS 2.0 account.
university of cologne application
Deciding to apply for the EMBA is an important step. If you are ready for the next career level, you should apply for the Cologne-Rotterdam Executive MBA. In the section below, you will find the necessary information for your application.
Start your application in our online-application-tool now.
How to apply?
The application for the Cologne-Rotterdam Executive MBA can only be done via our online-application-tool. It can be handed in before the application deadline, because admissions decisions take place continuously.
Take advantage and use our early bird offer: If you submit your application by January 31, 2022, you will receive a discount of € 3.000 on your tuition fees!
The application tool is hosted by our partner university, Rotterdam School of Management. If you have any questions regarding the tool or any other topics or if you would like to know if you are eligible for the programme, we encourage you to contact our Admissions Manager Benedikt Bänsch via [email protected] or via phone at +49 (0) 152 244 25953 for further questions or consultation.
The programme starts on 05 September 2022.
Application deadline: August 2022
Application Criteria and Requirements
The EMBA is a top programme and the EMBA student body consists of only the most exceptional candidates that undergo a rigorous application process. In order to be eligible for this programme, you will need to demonstrate:
- Academic excellence: a higher education degree (university degree or equivalent, min. bachelor degree)
- Professional achievements and goals: a minimum of four years of work experience. This experience should demonstrate clear evidence of solid career progression
- Leadership abilities: initial experience with managing people or projects
- English language proficieny: Level B2 (CEFR/GER)
Find further information on the proof of English language proficieny here.
More than a specific specialist knowledge, certain skills and a suitable mind-set are required from the students to successfully achieve the double EMBA degree:
- Clear career goals
- High motivation in order to master the challenges of the study programme
alongside the daily job
- Excellent communication skills and sociability
- Teamwork skills
- Emotional intelligence