Last Updated on January 17, 2023
The University of Cologne is consistently ranked among the nation’s highest-rated establishments of higher education, and an acceptance rate at the university is a reflection of how prestigious it is. In this article, we will be taking a look at the statistics related to one of Germany’s oldest universities, to give you a clearer picture of what is expected from its candidates.
* The University of Cologne is among the institutions that don’t provide data on acceptance rates. This might happen because a university has programs where an applicant only needs to meet admission requirements to enroll and doesn’t necessarily competes with others.
Acceptance rate & Admissions
|Admissions Requirements||Secondary school certificate (Reifezeugnis) or equivalent|
|Academic Calendar||October to September (October – March; April-September)|
|Full time employee||5,000|
university of cologne admission requirements for international students
University of Cologne International Students Admissions
The University of Cologne is one of the largest universities in Germany. The University holds an eminent position in the area of strategy development for its future prospects as well as teacher education. The criteria for the selection of international students interested in studying bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral programs are different from the domestic applicants.
Application Portal: Application Portals vary with one’s qualifications. Non – EU applicants with direct (non-direct) university entrance qualification – Apply here ( Apply here)
Application Fees: N/A
Admission Requirement: The admission prerequisites for international applicants from the European Union and Non-European Union for admission at University of Cologne are as mentioned below:
- Completed Application
- Certified Copies of Transcripts
- University Entrance Qualification (Hochschulzugangsberechtigung)
- Bachelor’s Degree in the relevant field (Graduate Admissions)
- Marksheets of all the examinations undertaken.
- Credential Evaluations in accordance with Center For Foreign Educational Affairs at the Secretary of the Conference of the Ministers for Cultural and Educational Affairs.
- Accompanied by a German/English translation if required.
- English and German Language Proficiency
- TestAS results
- An original printed copy of Individual APS certificate, for applicants from China and Vietnam only
- Certified copies of school reports, for International Baccalaureate holders only
- Students should have sufficient knowledge about the courses undertaken.
- Certain Master’s Degrees requires:
- Letter of Motivation
- Personal Statement
- Copy of Passport
- Certificate of finances
- Health Certificate
Test score for Proficiency in the German Language
Applicants must have German Language Proficiency for the programs taught in German. All bachelor’s programs are taught in German. All the full-time student applicants whose native spoken language is not German need to show proficiency in the language in terms of reading, writing as well as comprehending. The requirements can be fulfilled by any of the following certified proofs:
- Certificate DHS-2
- TestDaf Certificate with the minimum qualification of C1-C2 level or TDN 4
- Deutsches Sprachdiplom Certificate
- Goethe Institut C2 certificate
- OSD C2 level
- C2 certificate
- Tele C2 level
- FSP or Feststellungsprüfung Certificate
Test score for Proficiency in English for International Students
Applicants for the programs being taught in the English language whose first language is not English must demonstrate their abilities in the language wherein they must be proficient in reading, writing, and comprehending the language. The tests with their minimum requirements are:
|Test||Minimum required score|
|Cambridge||At least B-grade in CAE, at least B-grade or better in BED, CPE|
|IELTS||7.0 with at least 6.0 in each component|
|TOEFL||Internet-based: 100; with at least 70 in each counterpart|
Country specific requirements for admission at University of Cologne
Here are the country-specific requirements for some countries if one wants to take admission at the University of Cologne:
|Country||Undergraduate Requirements||Graduate Requirements|
|India||High School Certificate (HSC) with minimum of 60%.||A 3-year bachelor’s degree with 60% or above.|
|Bangladesh||High School Certificate (HSC) with minimum of 60%.||A 4-year bachelor’s degree with 50% or above|
|Nepal||Higher Secondary Education Certificate with 70% or above.||A bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 60%.|
|Thailand||High School Certificate (HSC) with a minimum of 60%.||A bachelor’s degree with a minimum GPA of 3.0 or above (on a 4.0 scale).|
|Indonesia||Certificate of Graduation from Academic/Islamic Secondary School with an overall grade of 7 or above.||A bachelor’s degree with a minimum GPA of 3.0 or above (on a 4.0 scale).|
Visa Requirements for International Students
International applicants can apply for a student visa to study in Germany right after an application letter is issued.
Visa Application Documents:
- Valid Passport
- Proof of Financial Support
- Amount Deposited in German blocked bank account.
- German Resident Permit.
- Academic Qualifications and Language Proficiency
- Acceptance Letter from the university
- Health Insurance
- Visa Application Processing Fee