Last Updated on January 19, 2023
UC Berkeley Tuition and Fees is $13,804 for state residents and $36,340 for nonresidents. The UC Berkeley Cost of Attendance is $27,138 for residents and $55,674 for nonresidents. The UC Berkeley Financial Aid Office: Student Financial Services provides information, counseling and assistance to undergraduate students in all aspects of financial planning.
Tuition and fees were billed to over 80 percent of Berkeley undergraduates in the fall of 2016–17. The University bases its charges on a student’s level, payment method, number of units and campus housing choice. Taking into account waivers and discounts, the maximum possible charge for a Berkeley resident undergraduate to enroll in 2017–18 will be $15,067.
The University of California, Berkeley (also referred to as Cal, University of California, UC Berkeley, and Berkeley) is a public research university located in Berkeley, California. It was founded in 1868 and serves as the flagship institution of the ten research universities affiliated with the University of California system.
university of california tuition
Education is life-changing. Our innovative financial aid programs make a world class education a reality for thousands of Berkeley students every year. This includes more than $750 million awarded in financial aid annually. We take pride in knowing that 38% of students pay nothing out of pocket for tuition due to grants and scholarships and that around two-thirds of students receive some form of financial aid. Funding your future is possible.
UC Berkeley calculates the estimated undergraduate costs using the student budget. This represents the average amounts paid by UC students, based on three types of housing situations: living in a residence hall, living off campus, and living with relatives.
university of california berkeley tuition
|Tuition and Fees||$14,254||$14,254|
|Nonresident supplemental tuition||–||$29,754|
|Student Health Insurance Plan**||$3,286||$3,286|
|Room and board||$17,220||$17,220|
|Books and supplies||$870||$870|
Calculated based on students living in the residence halls.
Tuition subject to revision by the Regents of the University of California. Out-of-state and international students will be charged Nonresident Supplemental Tuition for the duration of their undergraduate studies at UC Berkeley, accoding to the UC system-wide guidelines. Plan accordingly by understanding all of your funding options.
**Student Health Insurance Plan waivied with proof of insurance.
In addition to tuition, UC Berkeley students pay several types of fees, including a campus fee, tuition fees, student services fee, and others. A summary of these fees is included below. All fees are automatically billed to your account and will be reflected on monthly electronic bills. All fees are subject to change. (For total fees and a comprehensive student budget, visit Financial Aid’s Cost of Attendance page.)
Financial Aid Recipients
The Financial Aid and Scholarships Office releases financial aid no sooner than 10 days before the start of instruction, as long as a student meets the eligibility requirements. Students can check the status of their aid by visiting CalCentral. If financial aid payments exceed charges, the extra funds will be issued to the student as a refund 5–10 days after payments are posted. If a student’s financial aid payments do not cover all of their charges, the student is responsible for paying the remaining balance.
Show AllHide All
- Advanced to CandidacyremoveSubmit your Application for Candidacy to the Doctoral Degree (Plan A or B) form to the Graduate Degrees Office. File this form no later than the end of the semester after the semester in which you passed the Qualifying Examination. A $90 Advancement to Candidacy Fee is required; revenue from this fee is used to support graduate-student professional development.
- Campus FeeremoveThe campus fee items (subject to change) currently include:
- Associated Students of University of California (ASUC) $33.50 (Undergraduates) $27.50 (Graduate Students)
- Student Center $6.00
- Ethnic Studies $2.25
- Life Safety $46.00
- Recruitment and Retention Centers $27.00 (Undergraduates Only)
- Campus Health Care $84.75
- Green Initiative Fund $9.00
- Lower Sproul Fee $261.00
- Daily Cal V.O.I.C.E. $2.75
- Wellness $189.75
- Educational Opportunity & Equity $20.00
- Campus Climate & Equity $31.00
- Housing Security $4.25
- Student Basic Needs $15.50
- Class Pass Transit FeeremoveThis mandatory fee is assessed of all students. (Students in some special programs are exempt from this fee and are ineligible for the benefits of the Class Pass.) The fee provides for an AC Transit Class Pass, which students may use for unlimited rides on AC Transit buses and Bear Transit shuttles. Please visit the UCB Parking and Transportation website for detailed information about the AC Transit Class Pass.
- Course Materials and Services FeesremoveA course materials and services fee (CMSF) is assessed of students enrolled in specially-designated courses. The fee, which varies by section and is indicated in the course listings, is assessed to students enrolled in these courses. Students who drop the course(s) after the deadline are not entitled to a refund of the CMSF.At this time, certain courses in these areas require a CMSF:
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Earth and Planetary Science
- Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- Environmental Science, Policy, and Management
- Integrative Biology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Molecular and Cell Biology
- Nutritional Sciences and Toxicology
- Physical Education
- School of Public Health
- Undergraduate Interdisciplinary StudiesNote: Other courses may also require this fee.
- Document Management FeeremoveThis fee is a consolidation of eleven existing transaction fees into a single, one-time fee covering a variety of documents and services for the lifetime of the degree. The one-time, nonrefundable fee varies depending upon program:
- Undergraduate $207
- Doctoral $125
- Masters, PDF paying, self-supporting students $99
- JD, LLM, and Law Summer-Only $33
- Summer-Only and EAP visiting students $63If you are a Summer Sessions student who paid the Document Management fee and are admitted as a new student for the following fall term, you will only be responsible for the balance of the appropriate document fee for your degree goal.Services not covered by the document management fee will still be subject to transaction fees. These include, but aren’t limited to: express shipping, enclosure of forms with transcripts, customized verifications, replacement diplomas, and notary services. Note: Effective 01/01/2020, transcripts will no longer be withheld if a student has a Financial Hold.
- Fees for Sponsored StudentsremoveIf you are a sponsored student whose fees are paid by a governmental agency, a foundation, or other outside organization, you need to ensure that payment of fees is properly credited. If your sponsoring agency requires an invoice prior to issuing payment, contact Billing and Payment Services.