The Bond University packaged degrees allow you to combine your passion for science with your desire to be a physiotherapist, completing two degrees in just four years. The Bachelor of Exercise and Sports Science equips you with an understanding of health and human movement, while the Doctor of Physiotherapy integrates the clinical, pathological and related sciences with the physiotherapy knowledge preparing entry level physiotherapists for their next role.
Bond University’s Bachelor of Exercise and Sports Science sequentially followed by the Doctor of Physiotherapy enable you to become both an accredited exercise scientist and an accredited physiotherapist.
The Bachelor of Exercise and Sports Science equips you with an understanding of health and human movement including healthy ageing, chronic disease prevention, athlete preparation, exercise prescription, health promotion and nutrition. It provides a strong foundation for the Doctor of Physiotherapy, enabling you to explore areas of study such as anatomy and physiology, exercise physiology and biochemistry, biomechanics, motor learning and control, as well as sports nutrition and exercise prescription and planning for both athletic and non-athletic populations.
The Doctor of Physiotherapy offers an innovative problem based learning model of physiotherapy education to prepare entry level physiotherapists for their roles and responsibilities as first contact practitioners. The program integrates the clinical, pathological and related sciences with the physiotherapy knowledge, skills and professional behaviors and attitudes required to examine, diagnose and treat physiotherapy clients.
The Doctor of Physiotherapy assists you to progressively develop and apply your knowledge, skills and professional attitudes and behavior for physiotherapy practice and places a strong emphasis on clinical experiential learning with 50 per cent of the program undertaken in a clinical context. The first 30 weeks of clinical practice addresses five core areas in both hospital and community settings and one elective. Variable experiences across the lifespan are sought in the clinical areas of:
- orthopedics cardio-respiratory practice; out-patient musculo-skeletal practice (hospital or private practice settings)
- neurological and ortho-geriatric rehabilitation (hospital and community settings)
- chronic disease and disability, whether pediatric or adult in context
- pediatrics or women’s / men’s health, or
- private / sports practice.
Applicants with recent secondary education (within the past two years)
Applicants must meet the University’s general minimum admission criteria.
In addition, this program requires successful completion of:
- English, and
- Mathematics at the level of Mathematics A or equivalent; and
- One (1) of Physical Education or Biology or Chemistry or Physics or Science 21 or equivalent.
For more information Visit University Website.
Does this course require proof of English proficiency?
The TOEFL iBT® test is accepted by 11,500 universities and higher education institutions in over 160 countries. Book your test today!
The Doctor of Physiotherapy produces work-ready graduates equipped with the knowledge, skills and professional attributes and behaviors to be eligible for registration as a physiotherapist in Australia.
The Bachelor of Exercise and Sports Science enables you to seek employment in a range of careers in Australia and around the world such as an exercise and sports scientist, strength and conditioning coach, athletic/sport program coordinator.
Graduates may be eligible to progress to further post-graduate research, leading to potential career options in research organizations and academia.
Due to program sequencing, students may not be able to commence the postgraduate program immediately on completion of their undergraduate degree. International students should be aware that the Australian immigration authority may require them to return home before commencing their postgraduate degree and seek advice accordingly.
Bachelor of Exercise and Sports Science
The Bachelor of Exercise and Sports Science program comprises 24 subjects, as follows:
University core subjects (3)
- CORE11-001 Critical Thinking and Communication (CORE 1)
- CORE11-002 Leadership and Team Dynamics (CORE 2)
- CORE11-003 Ethical Thought and Action (CORE 3)
Plus: Beyond Bond: Professional Development and Community Engagement
Foundation subjects (6)
- Chemistry for Living Systems (BMED11-114)
- Exercise Health and Disease (SPEX12-310)
- Health Research Methods (HPER12-101)
- Human Control Systems (BMED11-112)
- Human Organ Systems 1 (BMED11-110)
- Principles of Human Structure and Function (BMED11-109)
Introductory specialist subjects (8)
- Functional Anatomy (SPEX11-113)
- Medical Biochemistry 1 (BMED11-205)
- Medical Biochemistry 2 (BMED12-209)
- Motor Control and Learning (SPEX12-309)
- Physiology of Exercise (SPEX12-306)
- Principles of Biomechanics (SPEX11-303)
- Psychology of Sport & Exercise 1 (SPEX11-101)
- Sport and Exercise Nutrition (NUTR12-101)
Advanced specialist subjects (7)
- Advanced Biomechanics and Motor Control (SPEX13-325)
- Advanced Physiology of Exercise (SPEX13-312)
- Exercise Prescription and Practice 1 (SPEX13-318)
- Exercise Prescription and Practice 2 (SPEX13-327)
- Professional Practice and Practicum 1 (SPEX12-331)
- Professional Practice and Practicum 2 (SPEX13-332)
- Psychology of Sport and Exercise 2 (SPEX13-311)
Students must also complete any compliance requirements.
Doctor of Physiotherapy
The Doctor of Physiotherapy program is a set program. Students must complete the following 18 subjects:
- Principles of Physiotherapy (20CP) (PHTY91-410)
- Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy I (20CP) (PHTY91-408)
- Cardiorespiratory Physiotherapy (20CP) (PHTY91-409)
- Musculo-skeletal Physiotherapy I Clinical Practice (10CP) (PHTY91-411)
- Cardio-respiratory Physiotherapy Clinical Practice (10CP) (PHTY91-412)
- Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy II (10CP) (PHTY92-415)
- Neurological Physiotherapy (10CP) (PHTY92-416)
- Musculo-skeletal Physiotherapy II Clinical Practice (10CP)(PHTY92-417)
- Neurological Physiotherapy Clinical Practice (10CP) (PHTY92-418)
- Physiotherapy Leadership, Management and Advocacy (15CP) (PHTY92-419)
- Physiotherapy for Chronic Disease and Disability (15CP) (PHTY92-420)
- Chronic Disease and Disability Clinical Practice (10CP) (PHTY92-421)
- Maximizing Human Potential (15CP) (PHTY93-423)
- Diversity and Life Stage Clinical Practice (10CP) (PHTY93-424)
- Evidence Based Practice Research (Part A) (15CP) (PHTY93-421)
- Evidence Based Practice Research (Part B) (15CP) (PHTY93-422)
- The Well Rounded Physiotherapist (5CP) (PHTY93-426)
- Elective Subjects – complete (1) of the following options:
- Clinical Internship (20CP) (PHTY93-425)
- Innovation and Global Practice in Physiotherapy (20CP) (PHTY93-427)
For more information Visit University Website.