Last Updated on August 28, 2023
Stanford University’s Computer Science Department is part of the School of Engineering. The department offers the degrees Bachelor of Science, Master of Science, and Doctor of Philosophy. It also participates in the following undergraduate inter-disciplinary programs: Computer Systems Engineering, Symbolic Systems, and Mathematical and Computational Sciences. Founded in 1965, the Department of Computer Science is a center for research and education at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Strong research groups exist in areas of artificial intelligence, robotics, foundations of computer science, scientific computing, and systems. Basic work in computer science is the main research goal of these groups, but there is also a strong emphasis on interdisciplinary research and on applications that stimulate basic research.
Do you have any knowledge about Stanford University MS Computer Science Admission Requirement? Do you ever feel confused? Do you often feel overwhelmed with all the information available so you can’t figure out which one is correct?
This article contain reliable information on Stanford University MS Computer Science Fees and other related information on, Eligibility & Entry Requirement, Stanford University Ms Computer Science Ranking, Fees & Funding, VISA & Work Study, program description and a lot more in this article. Stay with colegellearners.com
Ranking amongst the world’s top universities, the prestigious Stanford University has earned an excellent reputation across the globe since its establishment in 1891. Stanford University lies at the heart of Silicon Valley and combines top-notch academics with winning athletic programs. The University’s most famous alumni include Sergey Brin, Larry Page, Tiger Woods, and Reed Hastings.
The schools that embody Stanford’s vibrant learning environment include the School of Education, School of Engineering, School of Law, School of Medicine, and Graduate School of Business. The University offers STEM-designated Business and Law based programs that have produced notable pioneers in these fields. Mukesh Ambani, Seth Godin, Joseph Grundfest, and William Rehnquist are some of the biggest names in these domains that Stanford has educated. Additionally, the University houses a wide range of student organizations for Stanfordites, including theatrical and musical associations, namely, Ram’s Head Theatrical Society and the Mendicants. The Stanford Woods Institute is known for its commitment to finding solutions to environmental challenges and fosters overseas collaboration concerning ecological research.Stanford University offers a plethora of opportunities to lead innovation in business and technology, preparing students to enter a global workforce by providing them international exposure. The engineering department has a total graduate enrollment of 3705 with 43.7% international students. Acceptance rate for masters is 15.3% and for PhD is 9.2% respectively. The tuition fees for Stanford University is $53922 and $22005 should cover your living expenses.
- Master of Science [M.Sc] in Computer Science is a 2-year program.
- The program is a course-based.
- This program is offered full-time.
- The purpose of the master’s program is to provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary for a professional career.
- Areas of specialization include
- Artificial Intelligence
- Computer and Network Security
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Information Management and Analytics
- Real-world Computing
- Software Theory
- Systems, and Theoretical Computer Science
- M.S. degree in Computer Science is intended as a terminal professional degree and does not lead to the Ph.D. degree.
- The student-faculty ratio at Stanford University is 5:1, and the school has 69.3% of its classes with fewer than 20 students.
- 17 Nobel laureates are currently members of the Stanford community.
- According to QS Global World Ranking, Stanford University Ranked #2.
- The average salary is 112,049 USD.
|Degree Type Offered||Master|
|Fees||$ 157114 for 2 yearsor 45 Credits Program|
|Delivery Type||Full Time|
|Admission Intake||Fall (Deadline – Oct 14)|
Eligibility & Entry Requirement
- Students must complete a 4 years bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution.
- Students who meet the above degree requirement with a strong technical background in engineering, physics, or a comparable science program are welcome to apply.
- The average cumulative high school GPA of students admitted to Stanford is 3.96 on a 4.0 scale.
Indian Student Eligibility:
Indian students are eligible to apply if they meet one of the following eligibility criteria:
- Completed a 4-year UG degree with first class in a relevant field from a recognized institution
Note: A three-year bachelor’s degree in any subject is not considered sufficient for graduate study at Stanford. A two-year master’s degree following the three-year bachelor’s degree from India is required.
Along with the minimum eligibility requirements, international students hailing from non-English speaking countries need to prove English proficiency through IELTS/TOEFL/any equivalent test to get admission to this program.
Required Document List
- Online Application: Students have to submit an online application form at the official website.
- Application Fee: Students need to submit their application fees.
- Statement of Purpose: Reasons or intentions for pursuing studies in this program, including a description of prior experience.
- 3 Letters of Recommendation: Three letters of recommendation are required; one letter must come from an academic source, although Stanford prefer at least two. Recommendations must be submitted online.
- Official GRE Test Scores: Students have to submit their GRE Test Scores.
- ELP Scores: Students have to submit their English language proficiency scores like IELTS, TOEFL, or other test scores.
|fall||Oct 14, 2022|
7.0 / 9
Avg. Score in
100 / 120
Avg. Score in
68 / 90
Avg. Score in
328 / 340
Avg. Score in
Stanford University Ms Computer Science fees
Tution & Application Fees
|Year||Year 1||Year 2|
|Health Services Fees||$232||$232|
|VSR Monthly Fees||$1177||$1177|
|Head||Avg Cost Per Year|
Stanford University Ms Computer Science Ranking
Academy Ranking of World Universities 2020
Ranked #2 / 500
Computer Science and Engineering [ International ]
Scholarship Grants & Financial Aids
|Name||Amount||International Students Eligible||Application Deadline|
|Support Scholarships for Young Women||Variable||Yes||Mar 21, 2021|
|SWE Scholarships||Variable||Yes||May 1, 2021|
|The Google Lime Scholarship||$ 10000||Yes||Dec 4, 2021|
|Young Women in Public Affairs Award||$ 4000||Yes||Aug 1, 2020|
VISA & Work Study
For most students, this will be an F-1 Student Visa, although there are additional visa classifications that cover credit-based study.
Process to Obtain an F-1 Student Visa:
The first step in the process of attending Stanford is to apply. If offered admission, the next step is to complete an acceptance process. This process includes the submission of the following three documents:
- Declaration of Finance: An online form completed as part of the Stanford acceptance process.
- Proof of Funding Document: A letter or statement from the financial institution or from the family’s financial institution, verifying that there are funds sufficient to cover the program’s full cost as stated on the Declaration of Finance. This document must be shown in U.S. dollars.
- Current Passport Photocopy: A copy of the identification page(s) of the passport.
Once all acceptance items have been received and students have been assigned a Stanford ID number, Stanford University will generate their I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant F-1 Student Status).
After students receive their I-20, the following items must be completed by the student in order to obtain an F-1 Student Visa:
- Pay the SEVIS fee to the U.S. Government and obtain a receipt.
- Arrange an F-1 Visa appointment at the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate after they have received an I-20 and paid the SEVIS fee.
- Present the following items at the visa Appointment:
- Original I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant F-1 Student Status)
- I-901 SEVIS Fee Receipt
- Stanford University Admission Letter
- Original Proof of Funding Document
- Valid Passport
- 2 Passport-Size Photos
Students may work “on campus” up to 20 hours per week when school is in session and full-time and more than 20 hours a week during holiday and vacation periods.
Note: A student’s combined hours of on- and off-campus employment must not exceed 20 hours per week during the academic quarter.
F-1 students may not work off-campus during the first academic year. After the first academic year, F-1 students may engage in three types of off-campus employment:
- Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
- Optional Practical Training (OPT) (pre-completion or post-completion)
- Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training Extension (OPT)
- Severe economic hardship
Career and Placement after Course
Career opportunities are:
- Accountancy & Professional Service.
- The Actuarial Profession.
- Banking – Investment Banking.
- Banking – Retail Banking.
- Computing & IT.
- Engineering Sciences.
- General Management.
- Operational research.
Master of Science in Computer ScienceChange Course
|About this course|
- It is a terminal degree does not lead to a admission in Phd directly from MS
- Program is available with the following specialization artificial intelligence, biocomputation, computer and network security, human-computer interaction, information management and analytics, mobile and internet computing, real-world computing, software theory, systems, and theoretical computer science
- Students will study courses like Mathematical Foundations of Computing, Introduction to Probability for Computer Scientists, Theory of Probability, Design and Analysis of Algorithms and Computer Organization and Systems
RankingUniversity Rankings#2Universities Rankings
– ARWU (Shanghai Ranking) 2020#2World University Ranking
– QS 2021#2University Ranking
– THE (Times Higher Education) 2021#6National University Ranking
– US News & World Report 2021#3Global Universities
– US News & World Report 2021Course RankingsComputers Courses#2PG Computers
– THE (Times Higher Education) 2021View All RankingFees & ExpensesUSDINR1st year tuition fees
|Tuition & fees||INR 27,55,289|
Other expenses in 1st year
|Hostel & Meals||INR 6,45,830|
|Personal Expenses||INR 4,70,201|
|Campus Health Services Fee||INR 50,975|
|Document fee||INR 18,310|
Calculated at the exchange rate of 1 USD = INR 73.24|
Tuition & expenses were last updated on 11ᵗʰ June 2020Entry Requirements
|Entry requirements for this course|
|Class 12th||No specific cutoff mentioned|
|Bachelors||No specific cutoff mentionedApplicants must hold a Bachelor’s degree in engineering or medicine, a master’s degree in all other fieldsMaximum GPA at Stanford for most students is 4.3A three-year bachelor’s degree in any subject is not considered sufficient for graduate study at Stanford. The two-year master’s degree following the three-year bachelor’s degree from India is requiredFoundation Courses: Logic, Automata, and Computability, Mathematical Foundations of Computing, Probability, Algorithmic Analysis, Computer Organization and Systems, and Principles of Computer Systems. These courses can be exemptedApplicants must have strong quantitative and analytical skills|
|Exams||TOEFL : 89GRE : Accepted|
|Additional info||Applicants with degree from an institution where English was the only language of instruction may be eligible for a waiver of the TOEFL requirement|
Stanford University Tuition And Fees
Regular quarterly tuition for the academic year 2020-21, payable Autumn, Winter, Spring, and Summer quarters. For tution for next, see the Tuition and Fees, 2021-22 web page.
|Graduate 11-18 units||$18,105|
|Graduate 8,9,10-unit rate||$11,770|
|Each graduate unit above 18||$1,207|
|Graduate Engineering 11-18 units||$19,287|
|Graduate Engineering 8,9,10-unit rate||$12,540|
|Each graduate Engineering unit above 18||$1,286|
|Graduate School of Business (M.B.A. program—first year)*||$24,902|
|Graduate School of Business (M.B.A. program—second year)*||$24,354|
|School of Medicine (M.D. Program)*||$20,731|
|GSB & Law Joint Program**||$22,444|
|Permit for Services Only (PSO)||$5,476|
|Permit to Attend (PTA)***||$5,476|
|TGR (Terminal Graduate Registration)||$3,531|
|Medical School Research Rate||$3,531|
*Ph.D. students in the Biomedical Sciences and in the Graduate School of Business are assessed the standard graduate tuition rate.
**Law/GSB joint program tuition rate
***Policies concerning auditing are available in the Stanford Bulletin.
Undergraduate per credit hour rate is $1233.73
MSx: M.S. in Management for Experienced Leaders (GSB): tbd (annual, 4 quarters, Summer 2020 through Spring 2021)
TGR students who carry 1, 2, or 3 units are assessed the TGR rate of $3,531.
PostDoc Fee: $125
Graduation Quarter: $150
Campus Health Services Fee: $232
VSR monthly fee: $1,177
A Document Fee of $250 is assessed once upon first admission to Stanford as an undergraduate or graduate student, including Law, GSB, and Medicine students. Non-degree option (NDO) students, such as summer session and non-degree seeking SCPD students, are assessed a $125 Document Fee.
Some or all instruction for all or part of academic year 2020-21 may be delivered remotely. Tuition and mandatory fees have been set regardless of the method of instruction and will not be refunded in the event instruction occurs remotely for any part of the academic year.