Last Updated on August 28, 2023
St. John’s University School of Law is a Roman Catholic law school in Jamaica, Queens, New York, United States, affiliated with St. John’s University.
The School of Law was founded in 1925, and confers Juris Doctor degrees and degrees for Master of Laws in Bankruptcy and Master of Laws in U.S. Studies. Over 15,000 St. John’s Law graduates are practicing law in the United States and foreign jurisdictions. In 2019, 89% of the law school’s first-time test takers passed the bar exam.
LL.M. in Bankruptcy law
St. John’s University School of Law offers the only LL.M. in Bankruptcy law in the United States. The program is a 30 credit LL.M., with 6 credits devoted towards a thesis. St. John’s School of Law offers over two dozen classes focusing on various issues in bankruptcy. Required courses for the program are: Reorganization Under Chapter 11; Bankruptcy Fraud, Ethics, and Malpractice; Bankruptcy Taxation; Bankruptcy Jurisdiction; Bankruptcy Procedure; and Consumer Bankruptcy. Classes are taught by a mixture of law professors, Federal Bankruptcy Court judges, and practicing attorneys. The St. John’s LL.M. in Bankruptcy Program is fully accredited. It has been approved by the New York State Department of Education, and has received the acquiescence of the American Bar Association.
Bar passage rates
St. John’s University School of Law typically ranks in the top 4 – 6 in bar exam passage for first-time test takers among the fifteen New York State law schools:
July 2004 – 87% / Overall New York State Average – 76.5%
July 2005 – 89% (4th) / Overall New York State Average – 75.9%
July 2006 – 91% (4th) / Overall New York State Average 79.4%
July 2007 – 90% (6th) / Overall New York State Average – 79.1%
July 2008 – 91.8% (7th) / Overall New York State Average – 83.2%
July 2009 – 92.1% (4th) / Overall New York State Average – 79.8%
July 2010 – 87% (6th) / Overall New York State Average – 86%
July 2011 – 88% (7th) / Overall New York State Average – 86%
In 2013, 87.5% of the law school’s first-time test takers passed the bar exam, placing the law school seventh-best among New York’s 15 law schools.
July 2014 – 87% (4th) / Overall New York State Average – 83%
July 2019 – 89% (5th)
National Ranking: for 2020, U.S. News & World Report ranked St. John’s Law 74th
According to St. John’s University School of Law’s official 2018 ABA-required disclosures, 82.3% of the Class of 2018 obtained full-time, long-term, JD-required employment ten months after graduation. St. John’s University School of Law’s Law School Transparency under-employment score is 7.1%, indicating the percentage of the Class of 2018 unemployed, pursuing an additional degree, or working in a non-professional, short-term, or part-time job ten months after graduation.
st johns university law school tuition
|J.D. Program||Per credit||Per Semester||Per Year|
|Full-Time Day – 1st – 3rd Year||$2,339||$32,750||$65,500|
|Part-time – 1st – 4th Year||$2,339||$24,570||$49,140|
|Law School Student Activity Fee||$200|
|Law Academic Success Fee (Students entering 20-21)*||$376|
|Law Academic Success Fee (Students entering 21-22)*||$386|
|School of Law Graduate Program|
|Graduate Law – Bankruptcy||$2,183|
|Graduate Law – U.S. Legal Studies||$2,728|
|Graduate Law – Transnational ALDA||$2,728|
|Graduate Law -Transnational Legal Practice||$2,728|
|Law School Student Activity Fee||$200|
Important Additional Information
- All fees and the entire tuition for each semester are due and payable in full or on a University Payment Plan before registration can be completed.
- 2021-2022 Tuition rates are effective as of Summer 2021 through Spring of 2022.
- The Law School Activity Fee covers and supports student journals and all Law co-curricular activities.
- St. John’s Law School partners with bar review leader Barbri to offer law students a comprehensive academic and professional support program. This includes access to BARBRI’s bar review and other critical academic success resources as part of the law school curriculum. The Academic Success fee for this service is applied to your tuition bill each semester. This provides you with integrated bar prep from day one and cost-savings as you prepare for the bar exam.
- Students will get early access to their bar prep program, as well as MPRE, 1L mastery series, and other resources available in bar tested subjects.
- Students will get to practice with bar questions in each subject area, as faculty will have a bank of over 1000 multiple choice questions available in every subject area tested on the bar exam.
- This fee also includes the cost of the bar prep course that each student will enroll in prior to sitting for the bar examination.
- Summer and Winter courses are offered on a per credit rate.
- The University reserves the right to change the schedule of tuition and fees when necessary, but every effort is made to maintain them at the lowest possible level.
PLEASE NOTE: The University anticipates the reopening of the physical campus for the Fall 2021 semester and delivering a majority of courses in-person while still providing students with the option of having some academic programs delivered in an online learning format. However, the University continues to reserve the right to alter its academic programs and campus offerings to respond to future events and circumstances, including a resurgence of COVID-19 or governmental orders to cease or limit on-campus operations and return to a fully remote learning environment.