Last Updated on December 26, 2022
Established in 1965, Simon Fraser University (SFU) is a public research university based in British Columbia. With three campuses — Burnaby Mountain, Downtown Vancouver and Surrey — SFU is one of the biggest universities in Canada, with over 35,000 students. The university has many notable alumni including former Canadian prime minister John Turner, former governor general Adrienne Clarkson and astronaut Robert Thirsk. Get more information on Simon Fraser University Tuition, simon fraser university tuition fees for international students undergraduate, simon fraser university tuition fees for international students 2022, simon fraser university graduate tuition fees for international students, simon fraser university tuition fees for international students 2020, simon fraser university tuition fees for international students 2021 , simon fraser university scholarships international students & sfu tuition fees 2021
Why Study at Simon Fraser University?
- Programs: Simon Fraser University offers 150+ degree, major & minor programs under bachelor and master. Some top courses offered by Simon Fraser University are Engineering, Arts & Sciences, Business, International Studies, Biological Sciences, etc. Check out, programs at SFU
- Admission Requirements: The university has 37,000+ students, out of all 8,600 students are international hailing from 130 countries.
- Application Deadlines: SFU has three semester intakes, fall, spring and summer. The applications for the fall and summer semesters will begin from January 31.
- Cost of Attendance: The average cost to attend SFU is 20,000 CAD (11 lakhs) annually, which includes tuition fees, accommodation costs and travel expenses.
- Work While Study: International students willing to opt for a work-study program in Canada are required to submit an ” Employment Contract” and attain SIN. The hourly rate of pay is $15.20.
- Campus and Accommodation: Simon Fraser University has three unique campuses and one of the main campuses at SFU has a 25 meter long swimming pool. International students can choose on-campus accommodation by paying an average fee of 11,000 CAD (6,51,000 INR).
- Scholarships: International students can enroll into various scholarships in Canada and avail benefits of 10,000 CAD on overall tuition fees.
- Placements: The highest paying degree at SFU is Masters in Science with an average pay of 128,000 CAD annually and the highest paid job profile offered to graduates is Executive Management with 154,000 CAD.
Simon Fraser University Ranking
- #201–250 World University Rankings THE 2022
- #51-100 in Anthropology according to QS WUR Ranking by Subject, 2022.
- #298 in QS Global World University Rankings, 2022.
- #301-500 in Graduate Employability Rankings, 2022.
|Type of Institution||Public|
|International Students||About 9,000|
|Average GPA)||2.5-3.5 (80%-90%)|
|Location||Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada|
|Mode of Program||Part-time & Full time|
|Admission Contact||[email protected] 778-782-6930|
Top Programs in Simon Fraser University
- Simon Fraser University offers undergraduate programs across 355 subjects and graduate programs across 144 subject areas.
- Additionally, Simon Fraser offers a variety of diploma programs and certification courses.
- It has four research clusters namely Big Data, Health Technology, Health Solution, and New Materials and Technology for Sustainability.
- All the courses are offered to the international students through eight faculties of the university.
- While Simon Fraser University offers several degree programs, however, it’s popular among international students for Computer Engineering, Business courses and Arts & Humanities programs.
- SFU has the highest number of students enrolled in Biological Sciences and Economics and in recent years has witnessed student enrolment for linguistic courses.
- University is also known for providing flexible or distance education programs. Students looking for learning workplace skills, co-op education, or study abroad programs can take classes at their ease.
- Flexible courses can be taken at night, on weekends, or online. It ensures professional or non-academic students upskill leadership and mentorship opportunities.
|Programs||Fees Per Annum|
|M.Sc Computing Science||$14,619|
|M.Sc Health Sciences||$8,421|
|B.ASc Engineering Science – Computer Engineering||$22,035|
|B.Sc Computing Science||$22,035|
|B.Sc Software Systems||$22,035|
|Bachelor of Business||$20,902|
|M.ASc Engineering Science||$5,481|
Simon Fraser University Campus
- Simon Fraser University has three unique campuses in Burnaby, Surrey, and Vancouver.
- The campus showcases affordable housing options for international students. SFU has a public washroom across its campus.
- There are well sports facilities as the campus has basketball courts, indoor climbing wall, aquatic center, a 25 meter long swimming pool, and diving pool.
- Simon Fraser University has elevators, garbage lids, public phone, a kitchen area, and public space for students.
- Other campus facilities include modern lecture theatres, well equipped public lounge.
Simon Fraser University Residence
Simon Fraser University provides students with affordable housing options and all essential facilities. The average cost of living in the university campus ranges around 11,000 CAD (~6,51,000 INR). In the campus housing, everyone gets a separate single room where one can live with their own comfort. Students enjoy free and unlimited on-campus high-speed wifi.
Each residence hall is equipped with all essential needs of students, common space, study area, laundry, and washroom. It has a decent meal plan and the dining hall is located right from the residence. On-campus housing gives more security to students and life-long friends from all corners of the world.
Simon Fraser University Application Process
For admission at Simon Fraser University, international students need to fulfill the following requirements as per their level of study:
Application Portal: Online Portal
Application Fee: 125 CAD (~7,400 INR).
- Completed Simon Fraser University application
- High School transcript (all courses)
- ACT scores or SAT scores of undergraduate applicants
- Minimum GPA of 2.5-3.5 (79-90%)
- GRE scores or GMAT scores as per the course requirements
- Resume (optional)
- English Proficiency Test score
- Passport copy
- Financial statement with sufficient fund for educational expenses
- English Proficiency Test Requirements
English Proficiency Score Requirements
The university admits international students with a demonstration of satisfactory English proficiency scores. Following are the minimum scores required by the university for admission to its programs:
Simon Fraser University Cost of Attendance
The estimated cost of attendance at SFU is as follows:
|Expenses||Cost Per Term for Undergraduate Students in CAD||Cost Per Term for Graduate Students in CAD|
|Textbook & Supplies||1,170||1770|
|Health and Dental Plan||255||465|
|Residence Meal Plan||2,330||2330|
Simon Fraser University Scholarships
SFU assists its admitted students financially through awards, undergraduate and graduate merit scholarships, government awards, etc. Some of the financial aid awards are following:
|Scholarship Name||Eligibility||Application Deadline|
|Internal & Donor Funded Awards||Full-time student in a research-based graduate program;|
Must have a CGPA of 3.50 in the current program or last 2 years
|Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA)||For bachelor’s degree students;|
Must have CGPA of 2.67 or B-average
|External & Government Funded Awards||Students registered in a research-based graduate program;|
Must have a minimum CGPA of 3.5
Simon Fraser University offers several other scholarship opportunities to its doctoral, international, and domestic students. The list of such scholarships is as follow:
- CHIR CGS & Vanier CGS Doctoral Scholarships
- SSHRC Talent Award
- Tri-Agency CGS Master’s
- Government of Canada International Scholarships
- Mackenzie King Memorial Scholarships
Explore other scholarships in Canada for international students.
Simon Fraser University Placements
Simon Fraser University is among Canada’s leading comprehensive universities and ranked in the top list of employment. Considering its placements records, Simon Fraser University has been acknowledged as one of the top universities in Canada offering employment opportunities. The average salaries of Simon Fraser University alumni according to their respective professions are tabulated below:
|Subject Areas||Average Salary (CAD)|
|IT & Software Development||90,000|
|Financial Control & Strategy||83,000|
|Executive Management and Change||154,000|
|Compliance, AML, KYC and Monitoring||74,000|
Know about high paying jobs in Canada.
Courswise average salary of Simon Fraser University graduates is as follows:
|Course||Average Salary (CAD)|
|Master in Science||128,000|
|Bachelor of Arts||67,000|
|Bachelor of Sciences||75,000|
Simon Fraser University is one of the largest research universities in Canada admitting huge mass of students every year. The university offers excellent education facilities to its international students at a justified cost. The university is rich in multicultural students hailing from around the world. Meritorious students planning to study in Canada are captivated by this university majorly due to the excellent career opportunities with satisfactory salary packages waiting for the students after graduating from the institution.
SF University Overview
Founded in 1965, Simon Fraser University is a non-profit public higher-education institution located in the urban setting of the small city of Burnaby (population range of 50,000-249,999 inhabitants), British Columbia. This institution also has branch campuses in the following locations: Vancouver, Surrey. Officially recognized by the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training of British Columbia, Simon Fraser University (SFU) is a very large (uniRank enrollment range: 30,000-34,999 students) coeducational Canadian higher education institution. Simon Fraser University (SFU) offers courses and programs leading to officially recognized higher education degrees such as pre-bachelor degrees (i.e. certificates, diplomas, associate or foundation), bachelor degrees, master degrees, doctorate degrees in several areas of study. See the uniRank degree levels and areas of study matrix below for further details.
This 55 years old Canadian higher-education institution has a selective admission policy based on entrance examinations and students’ past academic record and grades. The admission rate range is 80-90% making this Canadian higher education organization a least selective institution. International students are welcome to apply for enrollment. SFU also provides several academic and non-academic facilities and services to students including a library, housing, sports facilities, financial aids and/or scholarships, study abroad and exchange programs, online courses and distance learning opportunities, as well as administrative services.
simon fraser university tuition fees for international students 2022
|Type||New students who started in 2021/22|
|Tuition (5 courses)||$15,276 1|
|Supplementary fees 2||$455|
|Books and supplies||$1,170|
|Student Society Health and Dental plan 3||$255|
|BC Medical Services Plan (Primary Medical Insurance) 3||$300|
|Residence meal plan||$2,330|
|Total:||$23,010 / term|
simon fraser university graduate tuition fees for international students
|Type||Cost for 2021/22|
|Tuition (full-time research term)||$1,986 4|
|Supplementary fees 2||$455|
|Books and supplies||$1,170|
|Student Society Health and Dental plan 3||$465|
|BC Medical Services Plan (Primary Medical Insurance) 3||$300|
|Residence meal plan||$2,330|
|Total:||$10,618 / term|
Calculate your costs }
These costs are approximations in Canadian dollars, and will vary depending on course enrollment, program of study, and other individual and personal variables. Estimated values shall not be binding to SFU Student Services or the institution (Simon Fraser University) as a whole.
Notes and exceptions:
1 Tuition fees at the 200 level and above offered by the Faculty of Business Administration, the School of Computing Science, and the School of Engineering Science are higher: see Undergraduate tuition fees.
2 Supplementary fees includes U-Pass, student services and recreation-athletics, and student activity fee.
3 Student Society Health and Dental plan fees are normally paid at one time for the entire year. The Medical Services Plan, MSP, is paid directly to the government but is included here as a cost incurred to the student in a given term. New International Students are required to have short term primary medical insurance under [email protected] in an SFU undergraduate, graduate or exchange program. Find more information on our Medical Insurance FAQ. Additional costs will apply.
*After 6 completed terms of full-time fees in a regular fee master’s program, and 8 completed terms of full-time fees as a doctoral student.
A completed term is defined as a term a student is not on leave, or has not withdrawn (extenuating or otherwise).
|graduate co-operative education||$844.21|
Per Unit Fee Programs
In programs in which there is a final ‘capstone’ requirement such as a thesis, project, extended essay or field exam, this requirement is assigned a number of units. Students must enroll for this and pay the appropriate fee for at least one term, normally at the end of their program of study. Once they have enrolled for this requirement in a particular term, they must enroll in all subsequent terms until degree requirements have been completed.
Students in per unit programs who complete undergraduate or graduate courses in other programs at Simon Fraser University, or who complete courses at other institutions covered by the Western Deans’ Agreement, will pay the same fee per unit as they do for courses in their own programs.
Extension and Readmission
Per term fee students who receive an extension beyond the time limits of their program pay tuition at the continuing rate of 50% when enrolled.
Per unit fee students who receive an extension beyond the time limit of their program pay the per unit fee that is applicable to their program when enrolled.
Fees — Ancillary
In addition to tuition fees payable for each term of enrollment, both undergraduate and graduate students pay three further assessments. For further information, consult the undergraduate information on Student Services and Recreation-Athletics Fees and Universal Transit Pass (U-Pass BC) websites.
Graduate Student Activity Fee
Universal Transit Pass
Student Services and Recreation-Athletics Fees
Additional Fee Information
Non-degree, exchange and qualifying students, and students who take courses that are outside their program requirements will pay whatever the rate is for the courses in which they enroll (i.e. if an undergraduate course, the applicable undergraduate domestic or international fee, if a graduate course, the applicable graduate fee, etc.) in addition to their regular graduate tuition payable. For courses in specialty graduate programs, the relevant per unit fee will apply. For courses in regular graduate programs, the graduate basic per unit fee will apply.
|graduate basic per unit fee||$299.74|
Audit fees are set at 50% of the rate for the courses in which the student enrolls.
Mandatory Supplementary Course Fees
For information about these fees, which are applicable to both graduate and undergraduate students, visit Mandatory Supplementary Course Fees.
Courses at Another Institution
Except for situations covered by the Western Deans’ Agreement, a student enrolled at Simon Fraser University who is approved to complete a course at another institution for credit toward their graduate program is responsible for enrolling at the other institution and paying fees assessed by that institution. When the student submits proof of tuition fee payment at the other institution, the Simon Fraser University tuition fees for that term will be decreased by that amount and will not exceed the lesser of the two amounts.
Basic Medical Insurance
International Student Medical Insurance: $281.00 per term
For information concerning [email protected] mandatory primary medical insurance plan for new international, exchange & study abroad students, visit www.sfu.ca/medical-insurance
Graduate Benefit Plan
Graduate Extended Health and Dental Benefits
|For students beginning in:||Fall Term||Spring Term||Summer Term*|
|Extended Health Plan (Graduates) (part-time and full-time students)||$195.90||$130.60||$65.30|
|Extended Dental Plan (Graduates)(part-time and full-time students)||$269.10||$179.40||$89.70|
*For new students beginning in Summer term, you may enroll yourself during the term’s Change-of-Coverage Period. Please visit www.studentcare.ca for more details.
A refund of 75% of the tuition fee will be assessed within the first calendar month of the term. A refund of 50% of the tuition fee will be assessed within the second calendar month of the term. No other refund will be made. Students in per term fee programs are not eligible for a refund if they are still enrolled in any other course.
If students withdraw from their graduate program, refunds will be calculated from the date of the official written notification of withdraw submitted to the associate director of graduate admissions and records.
Students who complete their program early in the term may be eligible for a partial refund of the tuition portion of their term fees. For further information, see graduate and postdoctoral studies website at http://www.sfu.ca/dean-gradstudies.
Overdue Accounts and Dishonored Payments
Students with overdue accounts will be considered to be in bad financial standing and will be precluded from enrolling in subsequent terms. In addition, the University will withhold certain services, including but not limited to the release of various letters and documents such as official transcripts of academic record and parchments for degrees, diplomas and certificates. An account that is delinquent without approved resolution will be forwarded to a collection agency for appropriate action.
A student who presents payment in the form of a cheque that is subsequently returned by the student’s Letters of Permission financial institution for lack of sufficient funds or because a stop payment has been placed on that cheque will be assessed a penalty fee of $25. In the event that a student on more than one occasion submits a cheque that is dishonoured for any reason, the University reserves the right to require all future financial transactions with the University to be by cash, certified cheque or money order. The University may cancel a student’s enrollment in a term when payments made by the student are subsequently dishonoured by the student’s financial institution. Late payment fees will apply.
Students with overdue accounts will be assessed a late fee penalty on outstanding fees. 2% will be assessed each month on the outstanding balance, regardless of any pending scholarships, bursaries, awards, tuition waivers and school associate certificates. Total penalties will be adjusted to conform to Canadian laws and regulations when the final payment is made.
Full Time and Part Time Attendance
All graduate students in per term fee programs are considered full time students.
All graduate students enrolled for thesis, project or field exams are considered full time students.
Graduate students in per unit fee programs who enroll for six or more units in a term are considered full time students.