Last Updated on August 4, 2022
Pharmacy education canada has become the excellent place of international students in search of postgraduate pharmacy education in the country. It is an institution that has been established to provide students who are seeking to pursue their career in medicine after getting a degree from other universities from all over the world. Graduates from pharmacy schools can then go on to become pharmacist, practice as community pharmacists, or engage as researchers.
The demand for pharmacists is expected to rise over the next 10 years with an additional 15,500 pharmacists needed across the UK by 2028. The majority of these – 11,300 – will be needed in England and Wales. This is due to the increasing population and ageing of the population, and changes in prescribing patterns. Pharmacists work in retail pharmacies, hospitals and other settings dispensing medications to patients. Pharmacists understand how medications work and interact with the body. Many pharmacists do research, publish articles on new drug therapies, monitor new developments in drug therapy, consult with members of their health care team and conduct health assessments on patients. That said, are you interested in learning about master in pharmacy in Canada fees? Are you keen on knowing more about scope of MS in pharmacy in Canada? Are you curious in finding out more about Canada pharmacy colleges list and you don’t know how to go about it? Have you been searching for pharmacy assistant certification without leading anywhere? Save the time and effort by visiting our site.
Postgraduate Pharmacy Courses In Canada For International Students
Pharmacy degrees cover topics like the development and production of pharmaceutical drugs, patient safety, and efficient dosage and usage of medication. Top pharmacy schools prepare future pharmacists for innovations in human health, while studying Chemistry, Biology, and Medicine. Pharmacy careers include working in Clinical, Veterinary, Military, Pharmacology, Toxicology and more.
- M.Sc. On Campus
The graduate programs in our department at Dalhousie University are designed to provide in-depth experience in laboratory research in experimental Pharmacology, and provide a broad knowledge of academic pharmacology.
- M.Sc. On Campus
University of Manitoba
Pharmacy from University of Manitoba offers research-based training in areas including pharmacology, pharmacoepidemiology, drug utilization and medication safety.
- M.Sc. On Campus
University of Waterloo
Graduate students at the University of Waterloo School of Pharmacy learn the latest research methods in our state-of-the-art facilities.
- M.Sc. On Campus
Pharmacology and Therapeutics
University of Manitoba
Pharmacology and Therapeutics from University of Manitoba consists of a combination of coursework and a research component.
- M.Sc. On Campus
Memorial University of Newfoundland
We offer a master degree in Pharmacy at the Memorial University of Newfoundland. Memorial’s School of Pharmacy provides cutting-edge research in an up-close and personal environment. The School of Pharmacy provides graduate students with the opportunity to conduct original research related to Drug Discovery and Delivery, Health Outcomes, and the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning.
- M.Sc. On Campus
Physiology and Pharmacology
Western University – Canada
Physiology and Pharmacology from Western University – Canada aims to train students in Physiology and Pharmacology.
- M.Sc. On Campus
The Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics at McGill University offers training leading to M.Sc. (Thesis) and Ph.D. degrees.
Benefits Of Masters in Pharmacy Canada
There are many job opportunities arising in the field of pharmacy, so it is a highly recommended profession for students looking at their future career prospects. Understand this growth opportunity in pharmacist recruitment. Based on a comprehensive review of multiple governmental and non-governmental sources (Department Health Service, Department of Education, Australian Bureau of Statistics), over the period 2019-2028 new job openings (arising from expansion demand and replacement demand) are expected to total 12,500, while 16,600 new jobseekers (arising from school leavers, immigration and mobility) are expected to be available to fill them.
- Around 6 top Canadian universities, globally ranking within #600, offer a master’s in pharmacy.
- Higher education institutes in Canada offering pharmacy specialization are ranked among the top 250 global universities.
- Drug requirement for the aging Canadian population has risen, spiking the demands for postgraduates in pharmacy within pharmaceutical & biotech companies. (CphA)
- Retail pharmacists take up the majority percentage of pharmacy students.
- 76% in New Brunswick
- 80% in Manitoba
- 89% in Newfoundland.
Universities offering masters in pharmacology includeMcGill University and Western University. Masters in Pharmaceutical Sciences is another popular pharmacy course specialization available in some of the top-ranking universities like UBC, Dalhousie University, and University de Montreal.
With less strict admissions policy and relatively affordable tuition, the University of Manitoba can be considered by the students looking for admission in masters in pharmacy in Canada.
master of pharmacy salary in canada
A person working as a Pharmacist in Canada typically earns around 151,000 CAD per year. Salaries range from 72,300 CAD (lowest) to 236,000 CAD (highest).
This is the average yearly salary including housing, transport, and other benefits. Pharmacist salaries vary drastically based on experience, skills, gender, or location. Below you will find a detailed breakdown based on many different criteria.
The median, the maximum, the minimum, and the range
Pharmacist salaries in Canada range from 72,300 CAD per year (minimum salary) to 236,000 CAD per year (maximum salary).
The median salary is 157,000 CAD per year, which means that half (50%) of people working as Pharmacist(s) are earning less than 157,000 CAD while the other half are earning more than 157,000 CAD. The median represents the middle salary value. Generally speaking, you would want to be on the right side of the graph with the group earning more than the median salary.
Closely related to the median are two values: the 25th and the 75th percentiles. Reading from the salary distribution diagram, 25% of Pharmacist(s) are earning less than 103,000 CAD while 75% of them are earning more than 103,000 CAD. Also from the diagram, 75% of Pharmacist(s) are earning less than 204,000 CAD while 25% are earning more than 204,000 CAD.
Masters in Pharmacy in Canada For International Students Admissions & Eligibility
To study in Canada, international applicants are required to submit additional documents, proof of language proficiency, and a study permit. The details of eligibility and admissions process for masters in pharmacy in Canada are as follows:
Where to apply:
International applicants can apply online through university-specific admission portals or online form.
Eligibility for Masters in Pharmacy in Canada
- Completion of four-year bachelor’s in science in a relevant field.
- The minimum GPA requirements must be fulfilled.
- Standardized test scores, GRE, for masters applicants are not required.
NOTE: Applicants must note that the average percentage score required for admissions in the PG program varies among the universities. It is important that applicants visit the course pages for the university selected.
best pharmacy schools in canada
A master’s in pharmacy can be obtained from some of the top-ranking Canadian universities. Apart from studying MS in pharmacy from Canada, international applicants can also opt for similar programs like masters in pharmacology and pharmaceutical sciences. Given below is a detail of the universities offering masters in pharmacy program:
#1. UNIVERSITY OF BRITISH COLUMBIA
- UBC has best Pharmacy program in Canada
- MS program is best in class with focus on research.
- English requirements for international students IELTS (min):7.0 or TOEFL (iBT)>=100
- All graduate students can expect to get a funding of $21,000.
#2. UNIVERSITY OF WATERLOO:
- It is a top-league University for Research and Medical Sciences well-reputed for its consistent, quality education.
- The Master of Science degree in Pharmacy allows the student to specialize in any of the following areas of research namely:
- Drug Discovery
- Drug and Vaccine Delivery Systems and Nanomedicine
- Pharmacotherapy Evaluation
- Molecular Pharmacology
- Rational Drug Design and Medicinal Chemistry
- Pharmacodynamics and Toxicology
- Clinical and Post-Marketing
- Phases of Drug Discovery
- Evaluation of Outcomes and
- The admission requirements include a minimum average of 78% in the undergraduate studies, academic transcripts, resume, letters of recommendation and a supplementary information form.
- M.S is offered both part-time and full-time with the coursework including a minimum of three one-term courses each 0.5 unit weight, academic integrity workshop, thesis proposal and thesis defense.
- A minimum of 70% in all the courses is required for completion of the M.S program.
- Guaranteed funding is proposed for all graduate students through studentships, assistantships, scholarships, awards, and grants.
#3. UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA:
- It is a top research institute well reputed for its courses in Pharmacy, distinguished faculty and alumni.
- M.S in Pharmacy is a full-time thesis-based program with a minimum of 2 years comprising of two four-month terms with specializations in Pharmaceutical Sciences or Pharmacy Practice.
- Academic requirements include TOEFL (550 for paper-based; 213 for computer-based; 88 for internet-based) or IELTS (minimum score of 6.5), a 4-year undergraduate degree with a minimum GPA of 3 out of 4, statement of purpose, resume, previous work experience, GRE and letters of recommendation.
- Funding sources include awards, scholarships, assistantships, and Bursaries.
#4. DALHOUSIE UNIVERSITY:
- It is Canada’s oldest and most premium research institute known for its practical based educational training.
- It offers M.S in Pharmacology as well as Pharmaceutical Science with a typical time span of 2 years each.
- M.S in Pharmacology is thesis-based with research focused on cancer, cardiovascular and muscle diseases, Parkinson’s disease, Huntington’s disease, epilepsy, and drug abuse. The admission requirements for the same include a minimum average of A- in the undergraduate program along with a good TOEFL score.
- M.S in Pharmaceutical Science is research-intensive and imparts competence in the chosen specialization. The academic requirements for the same include a minimum average of B+ in the undergraduate course along with a good TOEFL score.
- Funding is available in the form of assistantships and scholarships.
#5. MEMORIAL UNIVERSITY OF NEWFOUNDLAND:
- It is a large Public University in Canada well known for its Pharmacy-related courses.
- The M.S in Pharmacy is offered by the Health Sciences Center affiliated to the Janeway Child Health and Rehabilitation Center providing education in 5 areas namely: Medicinal Chemistry/Drug design and discovery of new molecules with anti-cancer or anti-infectious properties; Pharmacology/Mechanisms of Toxicity and Protection in Neurons; Pharmacology-Pharmacokinetics/Mechanism of Cellular Failure in Autoimmune Diseases; Therapeutic Drug Monitoring; Pharmacoepidemiology.
- Admission requirements include a minimum average of 75% in the undergraduate program along with good TOEFL scores.
- Funding Opportunities are available in the form of scholarships and assistantships.
#6. UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO:
- It is a top notch University well known in Canada for its quality education.
- M.S program is offered in Pharmaceutical Sciences as well as Pharmacology and Toxicology with a minimum admission requirement of B in the undergraduate course and good TOEFL scores.
- M.S in Pharmaceutical Science offers research in the various areas of Pharmacology, Toxicology, Pharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics.
- Funding Opportunities are available for International students through assistantships and awards.
While an M.S in Pharmacy degree offers a wide range of opportunities in the health science sector and Canada providing ample career-based development, the combination makes it the ideal destination for international students.
masters in pharmacy in canada for international students fees
The tuition fees for international students in Canada has observed a rise of four percent, making studying abroad an expensive affair. International applicants spend around 13,500 USD on the tuition fees. The cost that are incurred by international applicants are detailed below:
Pursuing a masters degree abroad requires an applicant to spend a specific amount of cost on tests, visa applications, insurance, travel, etc. An approximation of these costs is tabulated below:
|Type of Expense||Cost (USD)|
|Program Application Fees||90-112*|
|Visa Application Fees||235**|
*Depends on the university
**150 USD for a Canadian Study Permit and 85 USD is Biometric fees.
Tuition Fees for Pharmacy Courses from Popular Canadian Universities
The tuition fees for postgraduate degree in pharmacy from popular universities is tabulated below:
|University||Tuition Fee/year (USD) (approx)|
|University of Toronto||40,900|
|University of Alberta||6,500|
|University of Waterloo||11,300|
|University of Manitoba||4,300|
|University of Saskatchewan||5,060|
Cost of Living in Canada
The cost of living in Canada includes accommodation, food, transport, beverage, etc. The description of expenses are tabulated below:
|Type of Expense||Cost in USD/year|
|Books and Material||756-1510|
|Food and Beverage||3,000-4,000|