Last Updated on December 28, 2022
VETERINARY TECHNICIAN PROGRAM
What Is a Veterinary Technician?
A veterinary technician is an animal nurse.
What Does a Veterinary Technician Do?
These credentialed professionals are passionate about animal care and are dedicated healthcare professionals who nurture the health and well-being of animals through education focused on specialized knowledge of animal behavior and care, surgical assisting, laboratory testing and nursing procedures. Veterinary Technicians are qualified to work closely with veterinarians in the areas of surgery, lab procedures and radiography.
Upon completion of the program, you will be prepared to:
- observe the behavior and condition of animals
- provide nursing care or emergency first aid to recovering or injured animals
- bathe animals, clip nails or claws, and brush or cut animals’ hair
- restrain animals during exams or procedures
- administer anesthesia to animals and monitor their responses
- collect laboratory samples, such as blood, urine, or tissue for testing
- perform laboratory tests, such as urinalyses and blood counts
- take and develop X-rays
- prepare animals and instruments for surgery
- administer medications, vaccines and treatments prescribed by a veterinarian
- collect and record patients’ case histories
What Will I Learn With This Training?
At Pima Medical, your education will include real-world experience taking courses in well-equipped animal hospital settings. You’ll also experience a unique mix of online and classroom instruction.
You’ll be prepared to perform various medical tests and treating animals with medical conditions and diseases and learn how to:
- administer examination techniques, radiologic, dental and surgical procedures as they relate to veterinary care
- understand medical terminology, anatomy and physiology
- build your skills in equine, livestock and lab animal medicine
- handle birds, reptiles and some exotic mammals
- complete the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) board exam and become a professional veterinary technician
What Career Opportunities Does a Veterinary Technician Have?
Veterinary technicians have many career opportunities, including working in:
- biomedical facilities or wildlife facilities
- humane societies and animal control facilities
- other professional veterinary settings