Last Updated on January 17, 2023
Are you looking for PhD in Petroleum Engineering in Canada ? Here at infolearners we want to help you find the right program, as well as provide information on the topic.
Are you looking for PhD in Petroleum Engineering in Canada ? Here at infolearners we want to help you find the right program, as well as provide information on the topic.
Phd In Petroleum Engineering In Canada
Ambitious students looking to make their mark should consider a Chemical and Petroleum Engineering degree. Under the research-based program, students are expected to grow their skills as they produce a significant original contribution to fundamental engineering knowledge. This degree is generally a requirement for a career in academia or government/industrial research. A PhD can also be a first step toward a chief scientific officer (CSO) position.
Completing this program
- Courses (excluding Petroleum Engineering): Topics may include mass transfer, chemical reactor design, heat transfer, fluid mechanics and more.
- Professional Development Courses: Students take two professional development courses on communication styles, presentation skills and more.
- Candidacy: Students will complete both oral and written candidacy exams.
- Petroleum Engineering: Core courses include Reservoir Simulation, Secondary and Tertiary Recovering, Thermal Recovery Methods and more.
- Doctoral Courses: Students complete Experimental Design and Error Analysis and Advanced Mathematical Methods in Engineering prior to candidacy.
- Thesis: Students will be required to submit and defend an original research thesis.
- Chemical Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Engineering, Energy and Environment (Interdisciplinary)
- Environmental Engineering (Interdisciplinary)
- Energy and Environmental Systems (Interdisciplinary)
Oil and gas, medicine, education, government sector, research and consulting. Process engineer, petroleum reservoir engineer, petroleum production engineer, environmental engineer, software development, documentation for chemical process/petroleum reservoir simulation software, sales.
A PhD in chemical and petroleum engineering is usually considered a final degree.
A minimum of 3.5 GPA on a 4.0 point system, over the past two years of full-time study (a minimum of 10 full-course equivalents or 60 units) of the graduate degree.
An MSc degree or equivalent, or equivalent from a recognized institution.
- Two official copies of your final official transcripts and degree certificates (if degree is not clearly stated on transcripts) in signed sealed envelopes from institution attended. These documents may be sent to us directly from the institution or you can have the documents mailed to yourself and then mail them to us. We do not considered open official transcripts as official.
- Statement of Interest (not mandatory)
- C.V. (not mandatory)
English language proficiency (ELP)
An applicant whose primary language is not English may fulfill the English language proficiency requirement in one of the following ways:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL ibt) score of 86 with no section less than 20 (Internet-based).
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.5 with no section less than 6.0 (Academic version).
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) score of 59, or higher (academic version).
- Canadian Academic English Language test (CAEL) score of 70 with no section less than 60.
- Academic Communication Certificate (ACC) score of B+ in each course.
For admission on September 1:
- Canadians and permanent residents: July 15 application deadline
- International students: Mar. 15 application deadline
For admission on January 1:
- Canadians and permanent residents: Nov. 15 application deadline
- International students: July 15 application deadline
For admission on May 1:
- Canadians and permanent residents: Mar. 15 application deadline
- International students: Nov. 15 application deadline
phd petroleum engineering scholarships
SWE Annual Award
Society of Women Engineers (SWE) award recognizes innovators and leaders who are in support of the advancement of women in the engineering community ranging from industry to education.
This society was founded in 1950 and is the world’s largest advocate and catalyst for change for women in engineering and technology. The educational and service organization is a non-profit one and is the driving force that establishes engineering as a highly desirable career aspiration for women.
The aim is to ensure that SWE members reach their full potential as engineers and leaders. SWE is a champion of diversity and gives empowerment to women in order to succeed and advance in their personal and professional lives.
Petroleum Engineering, M.Sc. Opportunities
The Master of Science programs in Petroleum Engineering or Petroleum Geosciences has a requirement of years of full-time study and builds on a complete BSc/BEng degree or the requisite equivalent.
The Petroleum Engineering, M.Sc. possesses two branches which include Petroleum Engineering and Petroleum Geosciences. The specialization options for Petroleum Engineering include Reservoir Engineering, Petroleum Production, and Drilling Technology while that of Petroleum Geosciences ranges from Petroleum Geophysics to Petroleum Geology.
The program started in August but the application would be on till 1 Dec 2022 for International classification and 1 Mar 2022 for EEA/EU. The program intensity says full time and it has a duration of 24 months.
- Star Scholarship and Fellowship
The Star scholarships and fellowships support those pursuing degrees related to the oil and gas industry.
With regards to eligibility, applicants must be students enrolled, or soon to be enrolled, in a curriculum related to the petroleum industry, must be an SPE member, and must be enrolled the year following the application year. Applicants must comply with sanction policy and are to complete the electronic application submission process. Award funding is to be in December each year.
Nico van Wingen Memorial Graduate Fellowship
This memorial graduate fellowship, Wingen Memorial Graduate Fellowship in petroleum engineering, is supported by the SPE Foundation.
All the recipients of this award are nominated by the SPE Student Chapter Faculty Advisor or Department Chair.
Up to two awards are given in the amount of USD 5,000 each per year, for up to four years.
Applicants must be SPE members at an official student chapter and must be at the Ph.D. level. They must intend to pursue a career in academia and if awarded, must submit annual confirmation from advisor showing progress and a justification for renewal and must comply with sanction policy.
Henry DeWitt Smith Memorial Fellowship
Henry DeWitt Smith’s example served all of his adult life in the mining industry and this is his heritage to the industry. In memory of Henry Dewitt Smith, his wife, Ellen Burke Smith, created the Henry DeWitt Smith Fellowship. The recipient will receive a single payment of USD 5,000.
The applicant must be pursuing a graduate degree (master’s or Ph.D.) in petroleum engineering or a related field must be an SPE member, and must comply with sanction policy. Invariably, it is a petroleum engineering scholarship.
The electronic application submission process must be complete.
Applications must be submitted only via the link provided in order to be accepted.
In applying, the online application form CDT (UTC-5) is to be submitted and one must submit at least one recommendation and documentation for entry exams (if applicable)
HSF/ Marathon Oil College Scholarship Program.
The HSF/Marathon Oil College Scholarship Program is a scholarship wherein scholars will be paired with a Marathon Oil Corporation employee who will serve as a professional mentor.
This scholarship is open to colleges majoring in fields like Chemical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Geology/Geosciences, Environmental Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Information Technology (IT/MIS), Mechanical Engineering.
This scholarship is open to Hispanic American, African American, Asia Pacific Islander American, and American Indian/Alaskan Native heritage students who are citizens of the U.S. Also, a minimum 3.00 GPA (out of 4.00) is required of applicants.
AEE Foundation’s Scholarship Fund
This Scholarship program was established to encourage qualified practitioners in energy engineering and energy management.
It is done via awarding scholarships in order to help them further their education in these fields. To date, 1500 outstanding students have benefited from this foundation as it has awarded over $905,000 in funds.
The AEE Foundation, being aware of the rising costs of higher education, decided to expand its efforts to support and improve the financial support of the Scholarship Program.
To this effect, the Foundation continues to welcome contributions from AEE members, chapters, certified professionals, corporations, and individuals who according to history are the backbone of this foundation’s funding.
Major leaders of industries increasingly recognize the value of this scholarship program and the relevance of their role in contributing to the future energy visionaries’ development.
Candidates, undergraduate or graduate degree students, enrolled in an accredited college or university focusing on energy engineering, energy management, and energy/sustainability are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
For individuals to apply, they must be nominated by a local AEE Chapter. Via electronic means, all scholarship forms must be sent to the Scholarship Chair.
EME Department Scholarships
The scholarship, in all cases, the scholarship sponsors give definite specific guidelines for the use of their funding.
Each scholarship is awarded in accordance with the donor’s wish. Applicants are evaluated by the criteria of the available awards and the best match of students to scholarships. Not all applicants receive awards because there are more applicants than the available funds.
The existence of Endowed scholarships is because generous alumni and friends have donated funds to support the students. Afterward, those funds are invested, and the principal remains invested and intact.
Frank F. and Clare M. Aplan Centennial Scholarship
All full-time undergraduate and graduate students enrolled or planning to enroll in the mining engineering program who have achieved superior academic records or who manifest promise of outstanding academic success, and who have a proven financial need.
phd in petroleum engineering in usa
- Louisiana State University: LOCATIONBaton Rouge, LATUITION$19224GRADUATION RATE67%View School ProfileOverview: Louisiana State University is the state’s premier flagship university. It was founded originally as the Agricultural and Mechanical College. Today the university has grown to 14 schools and colleges. LSU’s College of Engineering is home to exciting research opportunities and has been part of the university since the early 20th century. Currently, LSU is chiefly known for its affordable programs, offering about $300 million worth of financial aid and scholarships annually.Program FeaturesThose who already hold an MS in Petroleum Engineering are eligible to apply for LSU’s Ph.D. program. Those who have a similar and related MS degree may also be eligible to apply. The Craft & Hawkins Department of Petroleum Engineering offers this degree.
- One-year residency
- Interdisciplinary – must take courses outside department
- Fall and spring termsNotablesAssistantships are offered only to exceptional students. Interested applicants must indicate on their application that they would like to apply.
- Missouri University of Science and Technology: LOCATIONRolla, MOTUITION$14133GRADUATION RATE63%View School ProfileOverview: The Missouri University of Science Technology, more commonly known as Missouri S&T, is a public land- and space-grant university. Although the school initially focused on promoting STEM-related majors, the university offers a total of 99 programs in the humanities as well. Students who are particularly interested in engineering programs have come to the right place! Missouri S&T offers a variety of engineering research and job opportunities. The school’s engineering college has been ranked No. 3 in the country. Program FeaturesMissouri S&T offers either a Ph.D. or a Doctor of Engineering in Petroleum Engineering. Students have access to state-of-the-art lab equipment where they can perform different projects and research. Possible areas of research are:
- CO2 sequestration
- Well-completion performance studies. NotablesThere are several scholarships available specifically for Petroleum Engineering students. Interested students should apply online.
- New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology: LOCATION Socorro, NMTUITION$13741GRADUATION RATE45%View School ProfileOverview: Looking for a school that focuses on STEM programs and research? The New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology is the right place for you! NMT was established in 1893 in a booming mining town, hence its current name. Although the school grew slowly, NMT saw a boom after the Great Depression due to people needing higher education. The school saw a demand for Petroleum Engineering, and created programs and even a research center in 1977. PayScale ranks NMT the No. 9 best school on their list of public universities in the nation for return on investment. Program FeaturesThose who already possess an MS with a thesis can apply to NMT’s Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering. This program requires at least 60 credit hours, with 30 of them composed of level 500 courses. Other program features are:
- Four-member committee that oversees each student
- Industry workshops
- Option to join professional societies. NotablesThere are five basic subjects that students must master: Petroleum Economics, Production Engineering, Reservoir Evaluation, Reservoir Engineering, and Drilling and Completion Engineering.
- Stanford University: LOCATIONStanford, CATUITION$16562GRADUATION RATE95%View School Profile Overview: Considered to be the most prestigious university on the West Coast, Stanford University is a private university located in the San Francisco Bay Area. It was founded in 1885 by former state senator and American tycoon Leland Stanford, along with his wife Jane. Leland dreamt of providing an affordable education in liberal arts and technology to an area that was still up and coming. Today, Stanford is nationally and globally recognized for its amazing programs, faculty, and research. The U.S. News & World Report ranks the school No. 7 in the nation. Program FeaturesStanford’s Energy Resources Engineering department offers a Ph.D. program in Petroleum Engineering. This degree is an extension of the Master’s program and is ideal for those with fantastic scholarship. Potential courses in the program include:
- Numerical Linear Algebra
- Geothermal Reservoir Engineering
- Reflection Seismology. Notables There is also the unique option of declaring a Ph.D. Minor at Stanford. Declaring a Ph.D. minor means that the student will only take part of the credits required for the entire Ph.D. degree.
- Texas A&M University: LOCATION Killeen, TXTUITION$19554View School Profile Overview: Texas A&M University was the state’s first public institution of higher education. Its campus is located in the Houston-Dallas-Austin triangle, giving students prime opportunities to network in the state’s major cities. Currently, more than 59,000 students are enrolled throughout the school’s 125 undergraduate, 200 graduate, and 100 doctoral programs. In 2018, Money ranked Texas A&M as the No. 1 public university in the state for having the best value. Program FeaturesTexas A&M’s Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering program is for Master’s students who wish to continue on to a future in research. Throughout the program, students will take a variety of tests, coursework, residencies, as well as submitting a dissertation. Key features of the program include:
- Minimum of 64 credit hours for Master’s holders
- Personal counseling
- Transfer credit accepted Notables Students must complete at least nine credit hours per semester or enroll in the ten-week summer semester to meet the residency requirement.
- Texas Tech University: LOCATIONLubbock, TXTUITION$15820GRADUATION RATE59%View School ProfileOverview: Since its founding in 1923, Texas Tech University has developed strong programs in the STEM fields, as well as in the liberal arts. Before the TTU known today was established, the school was called the Texas Technological College. In the 1960s, the institution started to grow and is now the seventh-largest institute in the state. Several of TTU’s engineering programs have been highly-ranked nationally for their value. They are also known for offering an affordable education with a high return on investment. Program FeaturesLearn from experienced professionals through TTU’s Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering program. Students will be adept at the basic principles of engineering and the application of advanced research methods. There are five core areas of studies, including Computation, Reservoir Engineering, Drilling Engineering, Formation Evaluation, and Production Engineering. Students must take at least two courses in each of the five core areas to meet their degree requirements. Notables Students can transfer up to 24 credit hours from the Master’s program to the Ph.D. program.
- University of Houston: LOCATION Houston, TXTUITION$15664GRADUATION RATE48%View School Profile Overview: With over 46,000 enrolled students, the University of Houston is an empowering campus in one of the state’s major cities. UH offers 46 doctoral degrees and 29 on-campus research centers. The university was founded in 1927 and transformed higher education for students, particularly during World War II. Today, many of UH’s programs are recognized nationally. The U.S. News & World Report awarded UH the honor of being recognized as one of the best engineering schools in 2019. Program Features UH’s Petroleum Engineering Ph.D. program is a challenging, but rewarding degree for future high-level professionals or researchers. Students can either apply after completing their undergraduate degree or as an MS holder.
- Part-time internships
- Fall and spring terms
- Assistantships, fellowships, grants, and financial aid available Notables There are specific scholarships available for Petroleum Engineering students.