Last Updated on July 29, 2023
This article is specifically designed for students in the Doctor of Philosophy program at The University of Queensland. Here you will find information about course structures, study plans, and progression routes.
Academic entry requirements
You have to prove you are prepared for PhD study. You do this by showing you:
- have completed some research experience
- have completed an approved university degree and
- can meet the English language requirements.
An approved degree needs to be:
- in an area relevant to your proposed PhD project and
- completed no more than 10 years ago.
You need one of the following approved degrees to apply for a PhD:
- Master of Philosophy (or another research master’s degree); or
- Bachelor’s degree from an approved university with at least honours class IIA or equivalent; or
- Coursework master’s degree with an overall grade point average of 5.65 on the 7-point UQ scale which includes relevant research experience, approved by the dean; or
- Postgraduate degree (at least one year full-time or equivalent) with an overall grade point average of 5 on the 7-point UQ scale, together with demonstrated research experience equivalent to honours class IIA will be considered on a case-by-case basis; or
- Bachelor’s degree plus at least 2 years of relevant research experience, including research publications.
International students who are accepted into full-time study in the Doctor of Philosophy are eligible to apply for an Australian Student visa (subclass 500).
This program has two CRICOS codes:
- 0100213 – Architecture, creative arts, education, health, information technology, management and commerce, mathematical sciences, social and cultural studies
- 0100214 – Agriculture and environmental studies, dentistry, engineering, human movement, medical studies, natural and physical sciences, pharmacy, psychology, veterinary science
Discuss your proposed project with us to determine which CRICOS code is most relevant for your visa application.
There are a number of requirements you must satisfy before a visa is granted, including the genuine temporary entrant (GTE) requirement.
Learn more about student visas
You need to demonstrate some research experience to be accepted into a PhD. If you can show you have planned and written a research project with some independence, you have enough experience to apply.
We will consider a combination of research projects from academia or industry, and also creative works and criticism.
Find out what we accept as relevant research experience
Additional entry requirements
Many departments will have additional entry requirements and may request documents to support your application, such as a research proposal. You should discuss these additional requirements with your potential thesis supervisor.
English language requirements
There are a few ways you can meet our English language requirements. If you sit a test, the following scores are needed for PhD admission:
|Test||Minimum overall score||Minimum additional scores|
|IELTS (clinical projects)||7.0||7.0 in every sub-band|
|IELTS (all other disciplines)||6.5||6.0 in every sub-band|
|TOEFL (paper-based)||570||5.0 in TWE (written), and 54 in reading & listening|
|TOEFL (internet-based)||87||21 in written, 19 in reading, listening & speaking|
Read our English language requirementsOverview
university of queensland phd programs
Search PhD Projects & Programmes
PhDs by Subject
PhDs by Institution
University of Queensland
The University of Queensland (UQ) is one of Australia¹s premier learning and research institutions. It is the oldest university in Queensland and has produced almost 197,000 graduates since opening in 1911. Its graduates have become leaders in all areas of society and industry.
UQ is one of the three Australian members of the global Universitas 21 alliance. This group aims to enhance the quality of university outcomes through international benchmarking and a joint venture e-learning project with The Thomson Corporation.
Centre for Advanced Imaging
2 Research Projects
4 Research Projects
Faculty of Medicine
1 Research Project
Institute for Molecular Bioscience
2 Research Projects
The Queensland Quantum Optics Laboratory
1 Research Project