Last Updated on July 29, 2023
Teaching is considered to be one of the noblest professions in the world. However, to shape the brightest minds of the future one must have relevant training and qualifications.
B.Ed, full form Bachelor of Education, is a 2 years bachelor degree degree one has to undertake to become a teaching professional. The National Council of Teacher Education (NCTE) has made the B.Ed degree compulsory for candidates who wish to teach at public schools in India at any level.
According to Businessworld, the Indian education sector is expected to grow by 7.5% per annum. The IBEF estimates that the Indian education market will be worth more than USD 225 billion by 2025. This is expected to create huge vacancies for teachers at the school level, which generates over 3 lakh vacancies every year according to the HRD.
The dynamic changes in school curriculum means that the B.Ed syllabus is continuously modified to ensure proper transfer of skills and knowledge to the B.Ed candidates.
The general fees of the B.Ed course is under 1 lakh per annum and B.Ed degree holders earn an average of INR 339,000, hence more than 3 times their initial investment.
Even though it is a UG level course, the candidates have to graduate before they can pursue the program
The following are some of the key facts about B.Ed course in India:
- B.Ed full form is Bachelor of Education.
- The duration of the course is for a period of 2-4 years
- The B.Ed courses are available in regular, online, distance and part time mode.
- The candidates can do online B.Ed courses from various platforms such as Coursera, edX, Alisson, futurelearn and many more.
- The entire B.Ed Syllabus is divided into 4 semesters. The subjects of the BEd courses are Contemporary India and Education, School Attachment, Health, Yoga, and Physical Education, etc.
- The top B.Ed colleges are Banaras Hindu University, University of Calcutta, St. Xavier College Kolkata, JMI, New Delhi, Delhi University, etc.
- The course can be pursued by candidates who have completed their graduation with a minimum score of 50-55% marks.
- The candidates must appear for the B.Ed entrance exam. The top entrance exams for BEd admission 2021 are DU B.Ed Entrance, MAH B.ED CET, RIE CEE, etc.
- The average course fees of the BEd course is around INR 1 lakh. The fees in the government colleges are relatively lesser
- Working professionals who wish to shift in the education sector can opt for distance BEd course.
- Candidates can opt for B.Ed abroad from top universities around the world. The average course fees of pursuing B.Ed courses from abroad is around INR 20,00,000 per annum.
- After the completion of the course the graduates are employed in educational sectors. They are mainly recruited as teachers, educational consultants, counsellor or in administrative positions such as vice principals, principles.
- However, in case of government jobs the candidates need to pass the teachers eligibility test.
- According to payscale website, the average salary of a BEd pass out in India is INR 339,000 per annum.
Many consider teaching to be one of the noblest professions in India. In order to enter into a teaching profession at the school level, it is necessary to have a B.Ed course. The B.Ed syllabus is designed to help the candidates not only gain knowledge about the different teaching methods but also gain the other soft skills such as counseling to understand the psyche of the students. The course also helps in development of a better academic system at the grassroot level.
B.Ed full form Bachelor of Education, makes the aspirants skilled in the principles of teaching and learning. It improves the candidates’ soft skills and helps them improve their communication skills so that they can understand the individual demand of the students and guide them properly. Let us observe some of the points in detail to understand why the B.Ed Course is important.
- A necessity for Government jobs: The National Council of Teachers Education mandates that the candidates who opt to pursue a teaching career in government schools must have a B.Ed Course. Even the private schools prefer teachers having B.Ed degree.
- Job satisfaction: One of the most important aspects of the teaching profession is the satisfaction associated with it. The teachers are involved in the nation building process by providing quality education to the children. The BEd degree is an ammunition that makes the nation building process a bit easier.
- Good pay and other perks: BEd full form Bachelor of Education, is helpful in getting government jobs that offer good salary to the individuals. A government primary school teacher earns a salary of INR 760,000 per annum. On top of that they enjoy perks such as medical insurance for individuals and dependents. Similarly, top private institutions provide good pay to their teaching faculties.
- Job Security: The teaching profession also delivers on the job security front. The BEd course allows the candidates an extra blanket of safety in terms of job security.In fact even amongst the covid related lockdown, schools and educational institutions have continued with their classes. According to the Naukri Job Speak Index the educational sector reported the second highest hiring index after healthcare.
- Entrepreneurship Option: The candidates after the completion of the BEd course can opt to start their own tuition institution. Times of India had reported that around 7.1 Crore India Students opt for private tuitions, thus, it provides an excellent opportunity to turn entrepreneur.
The eligibility criteria for B.Ed admission 2021, varies slightly from universities to another. However the overall criteria or the requirement remains the same.
- The candidates need to pass their graduation exam with a minimum of 50-55% overall marks from a recognized university. In the case of Bachelor of Technology or Post graduate students, the minimum marks obtained must be 55 %
- The candidates belonging to the reserved categories such as SC/ST/PWD are allowed a relaxation of 5% in the overall marks obtained.
- In particular, there is no specific age bar determined to pursue this course, but a few of the colleges ask for a minimum of 19 years of age for offering admission to this course.
- And above all the candidates in most cases must qualify the entrance examination.
Apart from these general criteria let us take a look at some of the standout eligibility criteria for top colleges/universities
- Delhi University requires the candidates to choose a subject category (Science, language, social science, home science, etc) and take one teaching subject from during the admission process.
- In case of University of Calcutta, the fresher candidates (one with no teaching experience) there is an upper age limit of 40 years. Candidates from the reserved categories are allowed a relaxation of 5 years.
- In case of B.Ed (Nursery Education) in JMI, New Delhi, a 45% aggregate score in the postgraduate level is sufficient.