Last Updated on August 28, 2023
Study programming languages, web design, and user experience to help you get ready for a job as a software developer or a programmer.
After graduation, you could work for companies that supply software tools to other businesses, to consumers, or use the programs you create in-house. Knowing that others are using and enjoy your programs can be very satisfying.
Southern New Hampshire University offers an online master of science in information technology with a concentration in software application development. The program provides students with the opportunity to undertake software projects and develop marketable, practical skills.
Applicants to the program must submit a completed online application, transcripts from all schools attended, a minimum undergraduate grade point average of 2.75, and an attestation form stating that the student has graduated from high school or received a GED. GRE or GMAT scores are not required for admission.
The 36-credit-hour program gives students a complete overview of the software development process. Right from user research to recommending software upgrades and making it run smoothly, students develop a number of useful skills. Some of the courses they study include advanced information technology, object-oriented application development, software design and modeling, mobile application development, distributed application development, and operating systems.
At the end of the program, graduates are well-equipped to pursue lucrative roles in the field of software development.
- Location: Manchester, New Hampshire
- Accreditation: New England Commission of Higher Education
- Expected Time to Completion: 24 to 30 months
- Estimated Tuition: $627 per credit hour
Career Outcomes and Job Titles
Your possible job titles with a master’s in software engineering include:
- Junior software engineer
- Senior software engineer
- Software architect
- Application architect
- Software designer
- Software engineer
- Software manager
Job and Salary Outlook
- Software Developer — This professional will see 17% job demand increase by 2024. Part of this demand will be driven by a strong need for new applications on mobile devices and tablets. Systems developers are seeing more demand because of a great increase in the number of consumer devices that use software. Also, there is much more threat to computer software security today, so this is also driving more demand. The median salary is $98,000 per year.
- Computer Systems Analyst — This computer professional will see a 21% increase in job demand by 2024, which is much faster than average. With all organizations in the economy needing more information technology in their operations, there will be many more analysts being hired to install new software and new hardware systems. Expect to be working on many projects at once, especially in smaller and medium sized companies. Also expect to see strong job growth in the healthcare sector. Median salary in this field is $85,000 per year.
- Computer and Information Research Scientist — This field will see 11% job growth by 2024, which is faster than average. There is fast growth in data collection by companies in all sectors, so it is believed that there will be more need for research for new types of computer systems and software. Also, expect more job growth in the cybersecurity software industry. The median salary in this field is $110,000 per year.