The Master of Science in Data Science is an interdisciplinary program offered by the McGill University School of Computer Science. The program provides students with a solid foundation in data science covering areas such as data mining, predictive modeling and managing/analyzing big data.Those who want to study MS In Data Science In Canada, can go through the article below and gain valuable information.
Data science is becoming a very lucrative career prospect.Working with data science in canada colleges and data science in canada programs, the students have to make sure they are equipped with all the required skills and knowledge to successfully complete their master’s program. To know more, explore this article below.
data science in canada colleges
University of Western Ontario
The Master of Data Analytics program at the University of Western Ontario aims at preparing data analytics experts who can benefit from the reservoir of data by using advanced data analytics skills.
- Eligibility: A completed undergraduate degree with a minimum 75% average, TOEFL(IBT): 94, IELTS: 7 overall
- Course duration: 12 months, Full time
- Tuition fee: $52,047.56 CDN per year for international students
- Courses covered in the program: Introduction to Data Science, Business Skills for Data Scientists, Statistical Modelling
HEC Montreal offers Master of Science (MSc) – Data Science and Business Analytics program with a view to preparing specialists in analytics and data science by making them skilled in advanced methods of analysis, optimization, modelling, machine learning, and statistics.
- Eligibility: A completed undergraduate degree with a GPA of at least 3.0 out of 4.3, GRE/GMAT, TOEFL(IBT)/IELTS
- Course duration: 16-24 months, Full time
- Tuition fee: $27 500 CDN for the first four terms for international students
- Courses covered in the program: Forecasting methods, Decision Analysis, Statistical Modelling
Simon Fraser University
The Professional Master’s program, Big Data Specialization at the Simon Fraser university help students gain in-depth knowledge to tackle the vast amount of data generated today.
- Eligibility: A completed undergraduate degree with a GPA of at least 3.0 out of 4.3, TOEFL(IBT): 94, IELTS: 7 overall
- Course duration: 16 months, Full time
- Tuition fee: $40,543.80 CDN for the four semesters for international students
- Courses covered in the program: Data Mining, Big Data Systems, Visualization
University of Waterloo
The University of Waterloo offers two programs namely Master of Data Science and Artificial Intelligence (MDSAI) and Master of Mathematics (M.Math) in Data Science. Both programs help graduates understand the elements of Statistics, Computer Science, and Optimization.
- Eligibility: A completed undergraduate degree in Computer Science or a related discipline with a minimum 75% average, TOEFL(IBT): 90, IELTS: 7 overall
- Course duration: 16- 20 months
- Tuition fee: $ $40,000 CDN per year for international students
- Courses covered in the program: Exploratory Data Analysis, Machine Learning, Data Visualization
For detailed information about these universities and application deadlines for Masters in Data Science program, you can get in touch with Shiksha Apply team as the counselors will help you choose the right university as per your profile and requirements
University of Toronto
The Master of Science in Applied Computing (MScAC) Concentration in Data Science offered by the University of Toronto focusses on building skills related to both Computer Science and Statistics, preparing graduates to handle complex data challenges.
- Eligibility: A completed undergraduate degree in Computer Science or a related discipline, TOEFL(IBT): 93, IELTS: 7 Overall
- Course duration: 8 months of advanced courses followed by an eight-month internship
- Tuition fee: $56,000 CDN per year for international students
- Courses covered in the program: Communication for Computer Scientists, Data Wrangling, and Data Visualization
MSc in Data Science and Analytics program at Ryerson university enables the graduates to become highly skilled in technical and applied knowledge of data science and analytics.
- Eligibility: A completed undergraduate degree with a GPA of at least 3.0 out of 4.3, TOEFL(IBT): 93, IELTS: 7 overall
- Course duration: 12 months, Full time
- Tuition fee: $23,077.66 CDN per year for international students
- Courses covered in the program: Management of Big Data and Big Data tools, Data Mining, Machine Learning, Advanced-Data Visualization
Mc Gill University
Emphasising on experiential learning, Master of Management Analytics (MMA) degree at Mc Gill aimed at helping the students gain mastery over the data analytics tools which can be used for effective organisational decisions in arrays of managerial domains.
- Eligibility: A completed undergraduate degree in Computer Science or a related discipline, GMAT/GRE, TOEFL(IBT): 86, IELTS: 6.5 overall
- Course duration: 12 months, Full time
- Tuition fee: $45,000 CDN per year for international students
- Courses covered in the program: Decision Analytics, Data Mining and Visualization, Data and Distribution Systems for Analytics
The Carleton University offers Data Science collaborative programs in 13 academic disciplines ranging from M.C.S Computer Science, M.A Economics, M.A Communication, Master of Cognitive Science and many more.
- Eligibility: A completed undergraduate degree, TOEFL(IBT): 86, IELTS: 6.5 overall
- Course duration: 2 years; 16 months for the MBA
- Tuition fee: $31,258 – $51,018 CDN per year for international students
- Courses covered in the program: Data Science Seminar, Critical Data Studies, Data Integration
The University of British Columbia
Master of Data Science (MDS) program of the University of British Columbia, Canada is uniquely designed to provide pragmatic experiences to the students so that they can acquire an understanding of both the statistical and computational perspectives and help their future organizations in making informed decisions based on data analysis. Masters in data science from UBC, Canada is considered as one of the top job oriented courses.
- Eligibility: TOEFL(IBT): 100, IELTS: 7 Overall
- Course duration: 10 months, Full Time
- Tuition fee: $44,133 CAD per year for international students
- Courses covered in the program: Programming for Data Science, Data Wrangling, and Statistical Inference and Computation
Master of Management Analytics program at Queen’s University includes a balanced academic curriculum comprising of core data analytics concepts and tools along with courses on business strategy, thereby preparing experts who can derive real benefits from the world of Data.
- Eligibility: A completed undergraduate degree in Computer Science or a related discipline, GMAT: 650, TOEFL(IBT)/IELTS
- Course duration: 12 months, Full time
- Tuition fee: $72,500 CDN per year for international students
- Courses covered in the program: Big Data Analytics, Analytical Decision Making, Predictive Modelling
Eligibility Criteria for MS in Data Science in Canada
- Four years of a bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer sciences, business analytics, economics, statistics or related subjects.
- Applicants must have an average GPA of 3.0 on a scale of 4.33.
|University of British Columbia||Professional experience (optional but desirable), 65% or 8 on a 10 point scale in UG degree.|
|University of Toronto||77-79% or B+ grade in bachelor’s|
|Carleton University||GRE/GMAT score|
|Ryerson University||B grade or a score of 73-76%|
|University of Waterloo||Average of 78% or B+ grade, 1 year of senior-level experience in statistics or CS.|
|HEC Montreal||GMAT- 600, GRE, TAGE MAGE- 300|
French language proficiency: TEF/TCF- B2 to C1 level
Masters in Data Science in Canada Admission Requirements
For admission in masters programs in Canada applicants are required to provide the following documents:
- Transcripts: Applicants are required to submit official transcripts of the previous education. Some institutes may request certified copies of the documents. International applicants must provide certified English/French language translations for transcripts that are not in the English language.
- Proof of Language Proficiency: Proof for English language proficiency must be submitted by international students belonging to non-native English speaking countries. Applicants can submit test scores from TOEFL, IELTS and other standardized English language test scores. The minimum test score requirements for the universities are as follows:
|University||TOEFL iBT (minimum score)||IELTS (minimum score)|
|University of British Columbia||100||7.0 (band score- 6.5)|
|University of Toronto||93||7 (band score- 6.5)|
|Carleton University||100||7 (band score- 6.5)|
|University of Waterloo||100||7.5 (band score-7)|
- Letter of Reference: LORs may be required for admissions in some universities. Applicants are required to submit around 2-3 LORs in most universities for masters in data science.
- Statement of Purpose/Statement of Intent: Some universities may ask applicants to submit a statement of purpose along with the applications.
- Resume/CV: Applicants may be asked to submit a resume or CV with a detailed academic and work experience along with the application.
MS In Data Science In Canada
Graduate Programs in Data Science – University of Waterloo
It’s not a stand-alone program in Data Science. You could specialize in Data Science while studying either a Masters in Computer Science or Masters in Statistics.
For the Statistics track, you need to possess an Honours Bachelor (4-year) degree in Statistics, Mathematics, or related degree with a minimum overall B+ (78%) average from a recognized university. You also need a solid background in calculus, linear algebra, and computer science.
The Data Science specialization in Computer Science and in Statistics share a common structure but with different emphasis depending on which specialization students are admitted to, their skill sets, and interests
Program Cost – CAD$ 40,000
Master of Data Science – University of British Columbia
It’s a new professional Master’s program, which has been developed by the combined expertise of UBC departments of Computer Science and Statistics. The 10-month accelerated program aims to meet the need of the students by giving a fast track to their careers. It will provide the technical foundation and practical real-world data experience to prepare graduates to effectively translate data into knowledge, communicate the findings, and help decision-makers take action.
Students will learn data extraction for experimental use, application of complex techniques in data analysis and how to present and visualize the extracted data to domain experts. Utilizing descriptive and prescriptive techniques, students will extract and analyze data from both unstructured and structured forms
Program Cost – CAD$ 45,900
Master of Business Analytics – UBC
The UBC Sauder School of Business also offers Master of Business Analytics. The program covers the full analytics spectrum, from data management to data analytics to decision analytics. The MS Business Analytics program will prepare students to fill the market’s need for highly skilled analytical talent. The opportunity here is not just for a career in analytics, but a career in an emerging field where you will have the skills to shape future business decisions. Read more about MS Business Analytics in Canada.
MScAC Data Science Concentration – University of Toronto
The Master of Science in Applied Computing (MScAC) Concentration in Data Science at UoT is offered jointly by the Department of Computer Science and the Department of Statistical Sciences.
This program helps you build skills at the intersection of computer science and statistics. Learn how to solve complex data challenges and gain hands-on industry experience.
Program Cost – CAD$ 60,000
M.Sc. in Computing & Data Analytics – Saint Mary’s University
It is a 16-month professional Master’s program that combines two essential concepts of computing and data analytics: Software Design, Development & Management and Analytics & Business Intelligence. The program prepares students for rewarding and lucrative careers in the data science and analytics industry through experiential learning opportunities and industry interactions.
Program Fees – CAD$ 37,000
Master’s in Big Data – Simon Fraser University
The program provides deep knowledge of computer science to create new tools that find valuable data from the vast amount of information generated today. Students get prepared to become data architects, data scientists, programmers, and chief data officers.
The curriculum has been developed with inputs from industry experts like IBM, SAP, Simba Technologies, Tableau, and Phemi. This program is ideal for those with a strong aptitude in computer science, engineering or physics. The curriculum also includes a Co-op program (paid internship). Know more about the Big Data Co-op program and Big Data Program Curriculum.
Program Fees – CAD$ 42,300
Masters in Data Science and Analytics – Ryerson University
It’s a one-year MSc program. Students will develop a deep understanding of the technical and applied knowledge in data science and analytics along with interdisciplinary skills. The course aims to promote business growth, economic development, and employability.
The fields of study include core technical skills such as math, statistics, operations research, programming and domain knowledge that are in greatest demand in the international job market. This program will enable students to pursue careers in industry, government or research.
Program Fees – CAD$ 23,800
ms in data science in canada fees
For an international applicant planning to study in Canada, the costs for studying can be widely distributed into three categories. These are pre-arrival costs, cost of study, and cost of living. The cost of studying or the tuition fee MS in Data Science in Canada varies from 11,600 USD to 33,000 USD.
Given below is a table indicating the one-time major costs involved for an international student planning to study abroad.
|Type of Expense||Cost (USD)|
|Program Application Fees||76-136*|
|Visa Application Fees||235**|
*Depends on the university
**150 USD for a Canadian Study Permit and 85 USD is Biometric fees.
Tuition Fees for MS in Data Science in Canada
The annual tuition for pursuing masters in data science in Canada ranges from 10,000 USD to 35,000 USD.
mcgill university data science
Data science has become essential in most areas of academia and industry. At McGill, researchers across disciplines are developing more powerful data analysis and modeling tools to process increasing volumes and heterogeneous types of data. Researchers are also applying data science methodologies to solve current problems in domains ranging from the basic sciences to health care, education, economics, public policy, social media, cultural analysis, and beyond.
Drawing from a wide variety of disciplines, McGill is training the next generation of highly qualified professionals in data science.
About data science
Data science is a set of multidisciplinary skills that combines three components: computer science, statistics and domain-specific expertise. It has become essential to many areas of research and industry.
The goal of data science is to use insights extracted from large data sets to generate new knowledge. The process starts with a motivating question that can be explored with data.
- Knowledge in one or more disciplines is needed both to formulate the question or problem that needs to be solved, and to interpret the data analysis. This component is the domain knowledge, which could draw on classical knowledge (physics, biology, medicine, etc.) or transdisciplinary knowledge (cognitive science, earth system science, ecological economics, sustainability science, etc.).
- Knowledge of statistics is fundamental for designing the data collection, analyzing and modelling the data, and presenting the results in a clear way.
- Knowledge in computer science is needed to write the code and algorithms necessary to access, store, process and visualize large and complex data collections.