Last Updated on December 14, 2022
Are you looking for a way to earn your Ph.D in Islamic Studies online? Have you attempted to find a distance learning Islamic studies near me, but haven’t found graduate programs in Islamic studies offered locally? Distance learning is a course of study in which students do not have to physically attend the university or college. Some programs feature the standard fare of on-campus classes while others are conducted by leading scholars and teachers via the Internet.
If you are seeking to learn about Masters In Islamic Studies In India for the first time, the subject might seem overpowering for those who have not researched the subject before, but you are likely to be fascinated by the information you come across.
Read more about Online Study in Islamic Studies, Top Colleges offering PhD Islamic Studies, Doctoral Program in Islamic Studies, PhD Islamic Studies salary, PhD Islamic Studies Eligibility Criteria and phd islamic studies scholarship. You can also find articles related to Arab and Islamic Studies on infolearners.
PhD in Islamic Studies is a doctorate course of 3-5 year duration. PhD in Islamic studies is done in two perspectives; one in secular perspective and the other one in traditional Islamic perspective. This study refers to the academic studies of Islam.
This program can be pursued by the students who have completed MA or MPhil in Islamic Studies from any recognized university. The minimum aggregate is 55% marks or above. The course is divided into semesters which get conducted in 6 months, along with thesis and research papers.
Admission to PhD in Islamic Studies program is done on the merit-based obtained by the candidates at the graduation level. Also, there are many national and state-level colleges/universities which conduct entrance exams for PhD in the Islamic Studies program. While some colleges conduct personal interviews by the faculty.
This course also focuses on other topics such as socio-economic structure, administration, military, development of various sciences and thought mysticism, cultural life, literature, and fine arts, and many other aspects of Islamic civilization.
This course is suitable for those who wish to build their career in working for fields such as teaching Islamic religion, Philosopher, Economists etc. Candidates who wish to keep their Islamic religion alive in the modern world can go for this program, as it will help to gain in-depth knowledge of Islam history.
PhD Islamic Studies: Course Highlights
The highlights for the PhD Islamic Studies course is given in the table below:
|Full-Form||Doctor of Philosophy in Islamic Studies|
|Examination type||Semester Wise|
|Eligibility||Minimum 55% marks at postgraduate level|
|Admission Process||Entrance/ Merit-Based|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 50,000 to 1,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 3,00,000 to 8,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||NGOs, Religious Center, Travel & Tourism, Universities, Journalism, Madrasa, etc.|
|Job Positions||Social Welfare Officer, Teacher, Operator, Translator, Tourist Guide, Writer, Regional Planner, etc.|
PhD Islamic Studies: Admission Process
- Most of the colleges and universities follow an entrance-based process for admission to PhD Islamic Studies courses.
- On cracking the entrance test, candidate’s research topic, proposal, methodology etc. are checked and an interview is held.
Entrance Based Admission
Most of the colleges and universities offer admission to PhD Islamic Studies courses on the basis of entrance exams like UGC NET, CSIR NET etc.
The step-by-step procedure for entrance-based admission is as follows:
- Step 1: Students have to register on the official website.
- Step 2: Fill the application form with correct details.
- Step 3: After examination, a cutoff list will be released on the website. Seats will then be allotted to candidates based on their scores in the entrance exam.
- Step 4: Some colleges also conduct personal interviews and group discussion for admission to this course.
- Step 5: On meeting all the eligibility criteria, a student will then be offered admission to the course.
What is the PhD Islamic Studies Eligibility Criteria?
- Qualified in any one of the entrance exams: NET, DET, SET, UGC (JRF), CSIR (JRF), Teacher Fellowship or Inspire Fellowship, or equivalent entrance exams.
- Candidates for Ph.D. in Islamic Studies must have pursued Masters in Islamic Studies or equivalent to the degree provided by a recognized university/college.
- Candidates must have gained 55% or its equivalent to CGPA (6.25 in 10 scales) aggregate marks in their Masters or any equivalent to the Master’s degree by statutory regulatory bodies.
- A relaxation of 5% is given from 55% aggregate marks or an equivalent relaxation grade to differently-abled candidates as per the decision of the university/college.
Which are the popular PhD Islamic Studies Entrance Exams?
There are many national and state-level entrance exams to appear for the admission into the PhD Islamic Studies program. Listed below are some of these popular PhD Islamic Studies entrance exams.
- GATE: GATE is a national-level exam conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science and IITs to select candidates for the award of PhD degree jobs or lectureship in Indian universities and colleges.
- UGC NET: The National Testing Agency conducts this exam on behalf of the University Grants Commission. Qualified candidates are granted admission to the various doctorate level courses. This test is also used for deciding the eligibility for JRF or post of Assistant Professor in colleges and universities.
The application dates, exam dates and the mode of the exam of the above mentioned exams are provided in the table below.
|Exam Name||Application Period||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|GATE 2021||September 14 – October 14, 2020||February 5-7 & 12-14, 2021||Online|
|UGC NET 2021||February 02-March 02, 2021||May 02 – 17, 2020||Online|
How to prepare for PhD Islamic Studies entrance exams?
Below mentioned are the tips which candidates can follow to clear the Ph.D. Islamic Studies entrance exams.
- Check the syllabus: Before planning for the entrance exams, first candidates have to go through the syllabus so that they can prepare accordingly. It will help them to prepare well and manage time for their respective exams
- Go through the reference books: Reference books play a vital role in cracking the entrance exams. The edition of the reference book must be of the latest edition with well-known writers, this will help them to understand in easy language.
- Prepare a Timetable: After knowing the syllabus, candidates can prepare a timetable and follow it, which will help them to stick to their subjects. Always focus on weak topics. It will help in preparation.
- Time Management: Time management is the most important part of students’ lives. Proper time management will lead to success.
- Refer to Past Years Paper: If candidates only refer to the past few years’ exam papers then half of the preparation is done automatically. From previous year’s papers, it will give the candidate an idea to assume which subject is given more importance and from which chapter the most questions are covered.
- Attempt Mock Tests: Attempting the mock test while preparing for entrance exams will always help the candidates. This way candidates will know their strengths and weaknesses.
How to get admission to a good PhD Islamic Studies college?
Getting admission to a good college is a whole process that needs to be executed in a proper way and at an appropriate time. By following the process, will lead the candidates to their dream college. To get admission to a good college candidates needs to follow the below-mentioned tips:
- Research about the college – Generally, good colleges always demand good academic students in their college. This will lead the college to a new level in terms of academic and other traditional and cultural activities. Research thoroughly what the college is demanding and how candidates can fulfill its demand.
- Find the right college for yourself – Different colleges offer different courses and candidates have to find the right college for themselves. They can compare the top colleges and find out the courses they offer. This will help the candidates to fit in the right colleges as per their subject of interest.
- Meet the deadlines or apply early – Always remember that there are thousands of candidates who are looking for a good college. The college also gets numerous applicants, therefore candidates need to apply in the given period and should avoid the last-minute rush.
- Talk to seniors or ex-students – Knowing the reviews about the college from seniors or ex-students will always help select the college. They will give the students the exact information and let them know the inside atmosphere with pros and cons of the college. Also will help to know the admission criteria in detail.
- The entire application process shall be completed – All college applications are different and the entire process shall be completed respectively. The documents and details filled in the application form have to be precise and genuine. Before submitting candidates need to cross-check so that they do not get rejected.
PhD Islamic Studies: Syllabus
The Islamic Studies syllabus empowers students to acquire a better comprehension of the strict works, history, and current issues of Islam. Thus, they can think and argue astutely about the subject.
The syllabus is wide and goes from the beginnings of Islam to the assortment of convictions and practices of Islam and the premise of Islamic law. Students create information about parts of the rich Islamic legacy and reflect on the role played by Islam today.
Here are the tentative subjects followed by most of the college/university:
|Subjects of Study|
|History of Islam|
|Modern Practices of Islam|
|Development of Muslim Sects and Philosophy|
|Muslim Reform Movements|
|Islam in the Modern Age|
Top Colleges offering PhD Islamic Studies
The table below shows the best PhD Islamic Studies colleges and universities that offer the course in a full-time mode.
|India Today Ranking 2020||College/ University Name||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|1||AMU, Aligarh||Entrance-Based||INR 8,980||INR 5,20,000|
|2||Maulana Azad College, Kolkata||Merit-Based||INR 54,780||INR 5,00,000|
|3||MANUU, Hyderabad||Merit & Entrance Based||INR 18,300||INR 4,78,000|
|4||Aliah University -Old Campus, Kolkata||Merit-Based||INR 3,300||INR 3,52,000|
|5||Calicut University, Calicut||Merit & Entrance Based||INR 54,640||INR 2,22,000|
|6||Kerala University, Kerala||Merit-Based||INR 25,600||INR 2,50,000|
|7||M.V. College, Veer Kunwar Singh, Buxar||Merit & Entrance Based||INR 78,960||INR 3,00,000|
PhD Islamic Studies: College Comparison
The following table depicts the comparison made among the top three PhD Islamic Studies Colleges in India.
|Parameter||Aligarh Muslim University||Maulana Azad College||Maulana Azad National Urdu University|
|Objective||To provide 300 courses in traditional and modern branches of studies.||To promote Islamic learning and general education among the Muslim population in British India.||To promote the Urdu language and teach the language through vocal and technical subjects.|
|India Today Ranking 2020||1||2||3|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 8,980||INR 54,780||INR 18,300|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 5,20,000||INR 5,00,000||INR 4,78,000|
PhD Islamic Studies Vs MPhil Islamic Studies
Both PhD Islamic Studies and MPhil Islamic Studies are doctoral level courses in the field of Islamic Studies.
The comparison between PhD in Islamic Studies and MPhil in Islamic Studies are as follows:
|Parameters||PhD Islamic Studies||MPhil Islamic Studies|
|Course Name||Doctorate of Philosophy in Islamic Studies||Master of Philosophy in Islamic Studies|
|Duration||3-4 Years||2 Years|
|Focus Area||Islamic Studies||Islamic Studies|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance Test||Entrance Test/Merit Level|
|Eligibility Criteria||Minimum 55% marks in Graduation||Graduation in any stream|
|Average Courses Fees||INR 50,000-1,00,000||INR 43,625-1,50,000|
|Area Of Employment||NGOs, Religious Center, Travel & Tourism, Universities, Journalism, Madrasa, etc.||Institutes, Private Research Centers, Religious Centers, etc.|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 4,00,000||INR 4,92,000|
PhD Islamic Studies: Future Scope
PhD degree is a doctorate level degree and is the highest educational degree one can earn in the country. Generally one does not pursue further studies post completion of the PhD Islamic Studies degree.
Employability is high and graduates are hired quickly upon completion of their degree in high pay job profiles. With this knowledge, there is no limit to learning and knowledge.
- They have teaching jobs in colleges/universities after this course and then clearing the UGC-NET exam required for becoming a permanent lecturer.
- They have many jobs in regional centers, government administration and various other fields etc.
- Students can also opt for a DSc (Doctor of Science) degree in any related field.
- Once you finish your PhD you can also be qualified for a lecturer post in Islamic Studies and also to teach in colleges and universities with UGC scales.
PhD Islamic Studies: Job Prospects and Career Options
- Candidates after the completion of the PhD in Islamic Studies program have a great opportunity to work in areas of surrounding study of Islam.
- They have a wide range of opportunities in areas of NGOs, religious centers, travel and tourism, translation bureaus, media, universities, research firms, scientific literature, hotel industry, international organizations, and much more.
- Candidates can also choose to become translators, writers, tourist guides, freelancers, liaison interpreters, teachers and professors at Madras, colleges and universities, Social workers and much more.
Some of the popular jobs of PhD Islamic Studies doctorates are mentioned below with their average salary packages.
PhD Islamic Studies Salary
|Job Profiles||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Religious Guide||Responsibilities to guide the upcoming generation with the study of Islam religion. Explain to the youth the importance of Islamic Studies.||INR 3,75,000|
|Translator||Responsibilities to translate the work whether in written or verbally without distorting the meaning.||INR 5,20,000|
|Researcher||Responsible for gathering data, planning, and designing hypotheses through surveys, reports, the internet, and other sources.||INR 6,00,000|
|Liaison Interpreter||To translate verbal communications to the target language in person.||INR 5,42,000|
|Social Worker||Support all kinds of living beings, assist family, society, individuals, groups to cope up with the problems that come through.||INR 2,80,000|
|Language Guide||Responsible for organizing and managing all the languages from different parts of the world and delivering without distorting.||INR 3,38,000|
|Journalists||Research, verify, write and portray the right information to the people in an unbiased manner.||INR 7,00,000|