Last Updated on December 20, 2022
In today’s modern world, everyone needs to stay healthy. Achieving and maintaining good health is much easier when one understands the root causes of diseases. That’s why many pursue Masters in Health Promotion programs. Nurturing a life of wellness and maintaining good health must be prioritized in every community, family and individual person. Hogskolan AB offers Masters in Health Promotion Online Canada. Get more information regarding Masters In Health Promotion Online Canada, master of public health in canada for international students, health promotion masters canada, ma health promotion dalhousie, masters in public health in canada with scholarship for international students & masters in public health in canada salary
health promotion masters canada
master of public health in canada for international students
Master’s in Public Health in Canada is a 1.5 to 2-year long program offered to students from all over the world. To get admissions to Canadian universities, you will need at least 75% score in a four-year bachelor’s degree, convenient GRE score (waivers available), and IELTS score of 7.0 or its equivalent. You can apply for Masters in Public Health in Canada for the fall season, which starts in September.
An international student willing to pursue the program in any of the top Canadian universities can expect an expense around 5,000 to 44,000 USD. If you are an Indian student, you can plan for an equivalent cost of up to 32.7 lakh INR to pursue the program. However, this cost can be controlled with the help of scholarships for international students in Canada. The Canadian universities provide a satisfactory ROI, with the average salary of the master’s in Public Health graduates in Canada being 66,000 CAD per annum.
Top Universities for Masters in Public Health in Canada
A list of some of the top universities in Canada, offering master’s in Public Health is tabulated below:
|University Name||City Name||Brochure|
|University of Victoria||British Columbia||Download Brochure|
|University of Alberta||Edmonton||Download Brochure|
|Simon Fraser University||Burnaby||Download Brochure|
|University of Guelph||Ontario||Download Brochure|
|Brock University||Ontario||Download Brochure|
|Saskatchewan University||Saskatoon||Download Brochure|
|McGill University||Quebec||Download Brochure|
|Ryerson University||Ontario||Download Brochure|
|University of Toronto||Toronto||Download Brochure|
|Queen’s University||Ontario||Download Brochure|
|Western University||Ontario||Download Brochure|
Why pursue Masters in Public Health in Canada?
A total of 12 top Canadian universities offer Masters in Public Health, tuition fee starting from 5,606 USD to 47,777 USD for one year. The average per hour earning for a postgraduate in Public Health in Canada is 32 USD, which is higher than the national average. The following section throws light upon other reasons for choosing MPH in Canada:
- There is a high demand for medical professionals with a Masters in Public Health degree in Canada and job vacancies beyond 10,752 according to Indeed Canada (job portal).
- Job growth of more than 50% can be expected once the professionals start working in their field of specialization.
- The job security and stability for Masters in Public Health postgraduates in Canadian agencies is similar to that of a government job.
- More than 7 major specializations are offered in Masters in Public Health in Canada, namely- Epidemiology, Gerontology, Food Safety, Global Health, etc.
- By pursuing a Masters in Public Health in Canada a professional can help in improving community health as well.
masters in public health canada requirements
The admission process for applying to Masters in Public Health in Canada is divided into two parts for international students. International students must fulfill the eligibility criteria before proceeding with the application and supporting documents.
Masters in Public Health Application Deadlines in Canada
Applications are usually accepted for the Fall semester where classes begin in September. Usually, application deadlines begin in December and end by February. Following are the application deadlines of some of the top universities in Canada offering master’s in Public health:
|University of Toronto||January 18|
|University of Victoria||February 1|
|Simon Fraser University||January 25|
|University of Alberta||December 15|
|University of Guelph||February 1|
|Brock University||February 15|
|Saskatchewan University||January 31|
|McGill University||December 15|
|Ryerson University||January 18|
|Queen’s University||January 31|
|Western University||January 30|
Eligibility for Masters in Public Health in Canada
For international students willing to pursue a Masters in Public Health in Canada must fulfill the following eligibility criteria, to get accepted for admissions:
- The candidate must have 10+2+4 years of education for admission to MPH in Canada.
- A bachelor’s in Science with 75% is mandatory for pursuing Master’s in Public Health in Canada in fields like Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, etc.
- A test score of GRE not older than 2 years is also an important criterion of eligibility for admission to the Masters in Public Health program in Canada.
- Students with 1 or more year gaps must provide proof of experience or study certificate he/she had undertaken.
- Universities like Lakehead also require an applicant to be capable of critical analysis and good decision making.
Masters in Public Health in Canada Admission Requirements
A majority of the following given requirements are common with most of the Canadian universities that offer Masters in Public Health in Canada:
- Where to Apply for MPH in Canada?: Official website of the respective Canadian University.
- Supporting Documents: The following documents must be attached along with the application:
- High school mark sheets, transcripts, and degrees.
- Statement of Goals: Stating how pursuing an MPH degree will help the candidate achieve their goals.
- Curriculum Vitae: Updated and recent CV mentioning the applicant’s overall GPA, grades, education level, and professional or research experience.
- References: 2-3 references from academicians or professionals having closely worked with the applicant.
- Test Scores for Admission to Masters in Public Health in Canada include:
Masters in Public Health in Canada Admission Decisions
Students applying for MPH in Canada can expect the admission decision maximum by 40 days of application submission. Yet some Canadian universities may send the offer letter earlier or later depending upon their evaluation techniques.
Cost of Pursuing Masters in Public Health in Canada
The cost of pursuing a Master’s in Public Health in Canada is 37,760 USD. The cost is calculated by taking an average tuition fee and including all the costs like one-time payments, monthly costs, and annual costs. Other than the one-time fee payments, there are other factors that influence the cost. Some of these factors are:
|Factors Affecting the Overall Cost of Studying MPH in Canada|
|Tuition Fee||Housing Rent|
|Food & Beverage||Activity Fee|
|Local Travel||Laboratory Fee (if any)|
|Personal Expenses||Private Loans|
|Accommodation Location: Urban/Suburban||Utility Bills|
|Communication||Accommodation Type: On-Campus/Off-Campus|
Estimate of Expenses in Canada
A few payments are made on or before or along with the admission application, which is one-time. The following is a list of those aspects of an admission application that come under this category:
|Expenses||Cost (in USD)|
|Pre-Departure to Canada|
|GRE Test Fee||205|
|University Application Fee||75|
|Visa Application Fee||235*|
|Official Financial Statement||10,000|
|Post-Arrival in Canada|
|Hotel Accommodation||200 – 800|
|Meals||45 (per day)|
*150 USD for a study permit, 85 USD for biometric.
Note: Some universities accept MCAT in lieu of GRE. The fee for appearing for MCAT is 315 USD and the minimum score required is 512.
Monthly Student Expenses in Canada
Payments made by international students are on a monthly basis for subsistence in Canada. Some of the commonly estimated range of various costs of living in Canada include:
|Expenses||Cost (in USD)|
|Off-campus Accommodation||600 – 905|
|Food & Beverage||151 – 230|
|Personal & Miscellaneous||4,000|
|Utilities||200 – 330|
|Internet & Mobile||130|
Annual Expenses for Masters in Public Health in Canada
The annual expenses for an international student pursuing a Master’s in Public Health in Canada include the annual tuition fee. An average tuition fee for pursuing MPH in Canada for international students is 17,834 USD for one year. The following table shows the tuition fee for different universities in Canada offering MPH:
|Annual Tuition Fee in USD|
|University of Victoria||5,606|
|University of Alberta||8,000|
|Simon Fraser University||10,900|
|University of Guelph||12,000|
|University of Toronto||25,921|
masters in public health in canada with scholarship for international students
Various scholarships ranging from 900 to 17,000 USD per annum are offered to international students willing to pursue a full-time degree in Master of Public Health in Canada. The following section is a list of scholarships, awards and fellowships offered by Canadian universities:
- Professor Margaret Page Graduate Award in Nursing offered at Lakehead University to 1 graduate student in the first year of MPH in Canada. The amount offered is 453 USD per semester.
- The University of Victoria, British Columbia offers the following awards:
- Fellowships are offered to international graduate students at the university. An amount of 17,500 is awarded each year to selected students.
- University of Victoria Graduate Award of 10,000 per annum is awarded to graduate students.
- Special Graduate Entrance Scholarship (SGES) at Simon Fraser University is offered to those students who accept the admission offer for MPH/MSc/Ph.D. programs. An amount ranging from 1,000 USD to 10,000 USD is awarded.
- Isabel Loucks Foster Public Health Bursary: Covers all Canadian universities offering an MPH degree. Around 2,262 USD is awarded to students enrolled for a full-time course in Masters of Public Health in Canada.
Job Opportunities for Students with Masters in Public Health in Canada
As already discussed above, Canada has around 10,800 job openings for Public Health postgraduates alone. The average salary of an applicant holding a Masters in Public Health is 61,000 USD. Some of the highest paid jobs in MPH in Canada along with their job descriptions are given in the table below:
|Job||Job Description||Annual Salary in USD|
|Healthcare Administrator||Overall management of healthcare staff and organization.||72,850|
|Healthcare Manager||Healthcare managers supervise the planning, budgeting, and ways to improve patient care.||71,640|
|Biostatistician||Responsible for assisting medical research on living beings to draw conclusions.||61,840|
|Public Health Nurse||They educate people in terms of health and safety. Also responsible for the well being of a community and not for a single patient.||54,650|
|Epidemiologist||Involved in surveying, analyzing and understanding surge in diseases across the world.||53,450|
masters in public health in canada salary
Other than the above-mentioned MPH in Canada job profiles there are a few more which can be considered by international students. The following professions which can be taken up, post-Masters in Public Health in Canada along with their starting salaries are:
- Healthcare Consultant: 95,532 USD
- Health Informatics Specialist: 63,100 USD
- Health & Safety Engineer: 63,060 USD
- Public Health Educator: 62,900 USD
Various agencies offer MPH graduates with a job in Canada. Some of these government agencies are as follows:
|Canadian Government Agencies Hiring International Students Post-MPH|
|Vancouver Coastal Health||Cancer Care Ontario|
|Public Health Agency of Canada||British Columbia Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS|
|University of Oxford||British Columbia Ministry of Health|
|British Columbia Centre for Disease Control||Centre for Disease Control & Protection|
Overall admissions at Canadian universities in Masters of Public Health have increased to 2% for both UBC and U of T admissions. Yet seeing a surge in the job opportunities and growth in the field, it is expected that there will be an increase in MPH graduates from Canadian universities in the upcoming years.