Last Updated on August 28, 2023
MA Linguistics or Master of Arts in Linguistics is a 2-year full-time postgraduate program. Linguistics is a scientific study of human language with its nature, structure, and variation that includes a comprehensive and thorough study of core areas.
Basically, it is a study of the relationship between written and spoken languages. More clearly it is the study of language which identifies the common element connecting the languages and draws its relevance from Archaeology, Anthropology, Psychology, Philosophy, Sociology, English, Computer Science, and almost every other subject.
- Full-Form: Master of Arts in Linguistics
- Duration: 2 years
- Eligibility: Graduation with minimum 50% aggregate from a recognized university.
- Admission Process: Entrance Exam/ Merit-based
- Top Institutes: JNU, BHU, Calcutta University, Aligarh Muslim University, Delhi University, etc
- Average Course Fees: INR 4K – INR 15K
- Job Options: Speech Trainer, Speech Therapist, Linguist, Proofreader, Editor, Teacher, Lecturer, Dictionary Compiler, Content Writer, Language Coordinator, etc.
- Average Salary: INR 3 Lakhs – INR 8 Lakhs
- Higher Studies: PhD and MPhil
MA Linguistics Admission Process
The admission process generally varies across colleges. Most of the institutes offer admission to students based on their performance in a relevant entrance test. College Application forms for admission are available both offline and online.
- The admission application form can be collected from the college or can be applied online by going through the respective university’s official website.
- The candidates will then have to sit for the entrance exam.
- A merit list will be released after evaluating the scores of the candidates in the entrance exam.
- If the candidate has cleared the cut-off then they will be shortlisted for further admission procedures.
MA Linguistics Eligibility
- Candidates should have passed a graduation degree in any stream from any of the recognized universities/colleges of the country.
- As a qualifying criterion, some colleges/ universities require a minimum of 50% marks in graduation to get admission into this course.
- Some relaxation is given to the reserved categories.
MA Linguistics Entrance Exams
No separate national-level or state-level MA Linguistics exams are conducted. Institutes like DU and BHU conduct department level examinations. Other institutes that conduct internal exams include Jawaharlal Nehru University.
Some points that are useful while preparing for MA Linguistics entrance exams are:
- Students should know the entire syllabus of the entrance exam which they are going to give because some of these exams are purely based on language-based knowledge.
- Students should consider analyzing previous year question papers for the reference.
- Students should also focus on preparing a language Portfolio that might be considered during the admission process.
How to get admission in a good MA Linguistics college?
To get admission in top MA Linguistics colleges, the following points must be kept in mind:
- The candidate should start working on a personal interview round after checking that they are eligible to apply for the MA Linguistics program.
- A good score in the qualifying exams is the basic selection procedure followed by a personal interview in which the panel will judge your interests and skills.
- Keep your portfolio updated and ready. Learn new language-based skills and techniques, and include them in your portfolio.
MA Linguistics: What is it about?
MA Linguistics: What is it about?
- MA Linguistics is the study of language which identifies the common element connecting the languages and draws its relevance from archaeology, anthropology, psychology, philosophy, sociology, English, computer science, and almost every other subject.
- It offers an understanding of the basis of valuable insight into the relationship between language, culture, and society, analytical and linguistic skills, and skills in the practical application of theories to the social context by introducing different aspects to the analysis of language use.
- This kind of modernized linguistics is the scientific study of all aspects of the world’s languages from their sound systems and grammatical structure through the interaction of language with culture.
- The discipline includes three broad areas: theoretical Linguistics (phonology, syntax, semantics), psycholinguistics (language acquisition, language processing), and language Use (discourse studies, bilingualism, phonetics, historical linguistics).
MA Linguistics: Course Highlights
Candidates wanting to pursue this course can check out the important details about MA Linguistics, mentioned in brief in the table mentioned below.
|Full Form||Master of Arts (Linguistics)|
|Eligibility||Graduation from a recognized university with a minimum of 50%|
|Admission process||Merit-based/ Entrance Examination|
|Course Fee||INR 4K – 15K|
|Average Salary||INR 3 – 8 LPA|
|Top Recruiters||Hindustan Times, India Today, NDTV, Times of India, Times Internet, etc.|
|Job Profiles||Speech Trainer, Speech Therapist, Linguist, Proofreader, Editor, Teacher, Lecturer, Dictionary Compiler, Content Writer, Language Coordinator, etc.|
|Areas of Employment||Translation Departments, Speech & Hearing Centers, media transcription, News & Media organizations, corporate communication, government language department, etc.|