Last Updated on December 20, 2022
Are you an international student? and been puzzled by the contradictory information you encountered on the internet. You need not look further, this article allows you to learn more about loughborough university ranking engineering.
Read on to discover the latest information on loughborough university ranking economics. It is possible for you to find more information about loughborough university ranking qs on infolearners.
About loughborough university ranking 2021
Loughborough University is ranked in the top 10 in each of the most recent national league tables, cementing its status as one of the country’s leading higher education institutions.
The Guardian University Guide 2021
In the Guardian University Guide 2022, Loughborough was ranked 10th overall.
See how Loughborough ranks
The Complete University Guide 2022
In the Complete University Guide 2022, Loughborough was ranked 7th overall.
See how Loughborough ranks
The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021
Loughborough University has maintained its top ten ranking for the fifth year running, securing seventh place in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021 and remains the top university in the Midlands.
This success follows on from Loughborough being named The Times and Sunday Times University of the Year for a second time in the 2019 guide.
In the 2021 guide Loughborough is ranked seventh out of 135 universities and is first in four subject tables: Building; Communication and Media Studies; Criminology; and Librarianship and Information Management. The only universities that rank top for more subjects than Loughborough are Cambridge and Oxford.
UK university rankings and league tables are highly competitive. There are over 150 higher education institutions to choose from in the UK, and it is important you have all the information on where to go and what to study before applying. Important factors to consider when choosing a UK university include:
Cost of living
Percentage of international students
The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide is considered the most trusted quality indicator of undergraduate study at UK universities, and the 132 universities ranked in its 2022 edition can be found below.
UK University Rankings 2022
- 1 University of St Andrews
- 2 University of Oxford
- 3 University of Cambridge
- 4 Imperial College London
- 5 London School of Economics and Political Science
- 6 Durham University
- 7 University College London
- 8 University of Warwick
- 9 University of Bath
- 10 Loughborough University
- 11 Lancaster University
- 12 University of Glasgow
- 13 University of Edinburgh
- 14 University of Bristol
- 15 University of Leeds
- 16 University of Southampton
- 17 University of Strathclyde
- 18 King’s College London
- 19 University of York
- 20 University of Aberdeen
- 21 University of Exeter
- 22 University of Sheffield
- 23 University of Manchester
- 24 Queen’s University Belfast
- 25 University of Birmingham
- 26 Royal Holloway, University of London
- 27 University of East Anglia
- 28 University of Nottingham
- 29 Harper Adams University
- 30 Heriot-Watt University
- 30 University of Liverpool
- 32 University of Surrey
- 33 SOAS University of London
- 34 University of Reading
- 35 Cardiff University
- 35 University of Dundee
- 37 University of Leicester
- 38 Aberystwyth University
- 39 Swansea University
- 40 Queen Mary, University of London
- 41 University of Stirling
- 42 Newcastle University
- 43 University of Essex
- 44 Ulster University
- 45 Aston University
- 46 University of Kent
- 47 University of Sussex
- 48 Keele University
- 49 University of Lincoln
- 50 University of Chichester
- 51 Coventry University
- 52 University of Hull
- 52 University of the Arts London
- 54 Oxford Brookes University
- 55 City, University of London
- 56 Norwich University of the Arts
- 57 Edinburgh Napier University
- 58 University of Plymouth
- 58 Edge Hill University
- 60 Glasgow Caledonian University
- 61 Goldsmiths, University of London
- 62 Robert Gordon University
- 62 Northumbria University
- 64 Bangor University
- 65 University of Roehampton
- 66 Queen Margaret University
- 67 St Mary’s University, London
- 68 University of Chester
- 69 University for the Creative Arts
- 70 Nottingham Trent University
- 71 Manchester Metropolitan University
- 72 Sheffield Hallam University
- 73 UWE Bristol
- 74 University of West London
- 75 University of Huddersfield
- 76 Staffordshire University
- 77 University of Sunderland
- 78 St George’s, University of London
- 79 Cardiff Metropolitan University
- 79 Arts University Bournemouth
- 81 Liverpool Hope University
- 82 Bishop Grosseteste University
- 83 University of Wales Trinity Saint David
- 83 Birmingham City University
- 83 York St John University
- 86 University of Worcester
- 87 Falmouth University
- 88 University of Portsmouth
- 89 University of Greenwich
- 89 University of Bradford
- 89 University of Buckingham
- 89 University of Bolton
- 93 Liverpool John Moores University
- 94 Abertay University
- 94 University of Derby
- 96 University of Hertfordshire
- 96 University of Gloucestershire
- 98 University of Salford
- 99 University of South Wales
- 100 London Metropolitan University
- 101 Kingston University
- 101 Plymouth Marjon University
- 103 Bath Spa University
- 103 Leeds Arts University
- 105 University of Suffolk
- 106 Bournemouth University
- 106 University of Winchester
- 108 University of Central Lancashire
- 108 University of Northampton
- 110 Wrexham Glyndwr University
- 110 University of the West of Scotland
- 112 Leeds Beckett University
- 112 Solent University
- 112 Hartpury University
- 115 Anglia Ruskin University – ARU
- 116 Royal Agricultural University
- 117 University of Brighton
- 118 Teesside University
- 119 Canterbury Christ Church University
- 119 Bucks New University
- 121 Brunel University London
- 122 Newman University, Birmingham
- 123 Middlesex University
- 124 Leeds Trinity University
- 125 University of Cumbria
- 126 De Montfort University
- 127 London South Bank University
- 128 University of Wolverhampton
- 129 University of Westminster
- 130 University of East London
- 131 Ravensbourne University London
- 132 University of Bedfordshire
The history of Loughborough University can be traced back to the establishment of a small technical institute in 1909. Originally, Loughborough University of Technology provided education only in technical subjects like art and science. The university was given its current name in 1996. Currently, the university has 22 academic schools and departments, over 100 research groups, institutes and centers, and over 35 professional services, teams.
|Academic staff per students8%||365||58.000|
|Academic staff per bachelor degrees awarded8%||487||43.889|
|Doctoral degrees awarded per academic staff8%||322||62.889|
|Doctoral degrees awarded per bachelor degrees awarded8%||360||58.556|
|World teaching reputation8%||243||72.012|
|Citations per academic and research staff8%||473||45.500|
|Doctoral degrees awarded per admitted PhD8%||55||93.750|
|Normalized citation impact8%||381||56.111|
|Papers per academic and research staff8%||478||44.889|
|World research reputation8%||217||75.066|
|INTERNATIONAL DIVERSITY RANKING|
|Share of international academic staff2%||152||82.556|
|Share of international students2%||154||82.333|
|Share of international co-authored papers2%||339||61.000|
|Reputation outside region2%||188||78.375|
|FINANCIAL SUSTAINABILITY RANKING|
|Institutional income per academic staff2%||471||45.750|
|Institutional income per students2%||396||54.375|
|Papers per research income2%||309||64.444|
|Research income per academic and research staff2%||494||43.111|
|Research income per institutional income2%||503||42.000|
Located in the center of Loughborough, UK, the university campus covers an area of 440 acres. The campus has a world-class infrastructure and provides a plethora of facilities like huge lecture theatres, a well-stocked library, well-equipped laboratories, an extensive IT network, a conference center, excellent accommodation, and Loughborough Students’ Union. The university also has an arts center, a bank, a health center, two theatres, restaurants, and some shops. Also, it provides the students with excellent sports facilities. The university has a postgraduate campus in London too. Both the campuses have won many awards and rankings for the facilities they offer.
Loughborough University offers numerous undergraduate, doctoral and postgraduate programs in various fields like accounts, finance, engineering, sciences, architecture, business, computer science, management, mathematics, languages, sports, economics, arts, social sciences, media, and psychology. The university houses more than 17,000 students and over 3,700 staff members. It is a member of a renowned international academic network, UNITECH International, and has collaborations with many international institutions like MIT, IIT Delhi, and Nanyang Technological University. It also has strong links with many funding agencies and sponsors like the Brunei High Commission, the Libyan Embassy, Oman Cultural Attaché Office and the Chevening Organization. The university equips the students with the skills and knowledge required to improve their employability and offers them plenty of outstanding career opportunities.
Loughborough University has a large network of alumni. There are more than 178,000 alumni across 169 countries. Sir Peter Bonfield is BT Group’s former chief executive. Lord Sebastian Coe is an Olympic athlete well-known for holding the world marathon record. Paula Radcliffe is Williams Formula One team’s Head of Vehicle Performance and Rob Smedley’s former race engineer. Malcolm Sayer is a successful car and aircraft designer. Rosalind Ayres is a popular English actress. Tanni Grey-Thompson is a television presenter, Welsh politician, and a former wheelchair racer. Clive Woodward used to be an English rugby player and served as the coach for the England rugby team from 1997-2004. There are lots of other distinguished and notable names linked to the university.
Loughborough University is ranked 231 in QS World University Rankings by TopUniversities and has an overall score of 4.4 stars, according to student reviews on Studyportals, the best place to find out how students rate their study and living experience at universities from all over the world.
On this page you can see how the university is ranked on international rankings and find out what students are saying about their study experience.
Loughborough is small but has a great campus and really good education and facilities. Would definitely recommend.
Latest critical review:
During my university study i have learned many things in addition to my academic studies. I dealt with many cultures due to the variety of the students origins also learned to respect those people differences and opinions.
Universities in the UK are some of the most highly regarded in the world, and for good reasons. Some of the world’s most highly regarded research takes place in British universities, which are regularly featured in international rankings. While studying in the UK, you will be able to develop in a highly multicultural environment with high chances of pursuing lucrative careers after graduation. The teaching in the UK is designed to encourage new idea generation, encouraging individual research and group cooperation, through class discussions and creative assignments.
Read more about studying abroad in United Kingdom
Loughborough University is located in Loughborough, United Kingdom and is featured in the best 1000 universities in the world, according to the most well-known international university rankings. Find out its position in each of these rankings or see what other universities made the ranking lists.
|English Name:||Loughborough University|
The superb 440 acre single-site campus is the University’s most glorious asset, offering great facilities for every aspect of student life, with plenty of open space, gardens and sports areas, interspersed with academic buildings and student accommodation.
In 2012, the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park was the home of the celebrated London Olympic and Paralympic Games. Now the Park is one of the most exciting new developments in London, Here East – and Loughborough University is part of it.
Loughborough University London is an inspiring postgraduate campus that enhances our existing world-class partnerships and excellence in research, to deliver an industry-focused learning experience that is second to none.
The campus is based in the former press and broadcast centres at the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, and currently offers 25 full and part-time master’s programmes.
Our teaching and learning offers academic excellence in a broad range of disciplines, from sport and exercise science to engineering, business and the arts, and was recently awarded Gold in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF).
Our renowned student experience gives every student the opportunity they need to achieve their full potential. Our strong connections to industry boost these opportunities by providing students with access to placements. They also form the backbone of our enterprising outlook which is helping business to innovate, expand and improve performance.
Our approach to creating an exceptional student experience and delivering the highest level of teaching and learning is quite simple; we put our students at the heart of everything we do. The positive impact of this approach was highlighted in the National Student Survey 2017 results, when Loughborough was ranked the top mainstream university in England for overall satisfaction.
Our outstanding research is generating globally important work that is driven by society’s need for solutions to real-life issues, making it not only cutting-edge, but relevant too.
Our reputation for sporting excellence, which spans performance, facilities, expertise and working partnerships, confirms our position as the number one university for sport.
Our superb 440 acre single-site campus is the University’s most glorious asset, offering great facilities for students, staff and visitors to the University.
Our Students’ Union is one of the very best in the country and is one of the only unions to be owned and managed by students.
The elements above, combined with our focus and a strong sense of community spirit, has created something that is truly special and distinctive amongst UK universities.
Loughborough University is one of 165 universities included in U-Multirank for United Kingdom. Loughborough University is a large government dependent private university located in Loughborough with 17670 students enrolled (2018 data or latest available). It was founded in 1909. With regard to the scope of its subjects and degree programmes offered, the Loughborough University is a comprehensive institution.
The Loughborough University graduation rate is 86,53 for bachelors (B score) and 94,52 for masters (B score). As made clear by its sunburst chart – a snapshot illustration of the university’s performance profile across the five U-Multirank dimensions – the Loughborough University is strongest in Research. Its overall profile shows top performance across various indicators, with 4 ‘A’ (very good) scores overall. For a comprehensive overview of this university’s performance, see its complete performance scores in the tables below.
Located in the heart of England, East Midlands, Loughborough University is a public research- based organization that lies in a small bustling town of Loughborough. The institute has been ranked in top 10 by all three national league tables and has been rated five star for excellence by QS Star Scheme which makes it one of the best UK universities for international students. It has been ranked as university of the year in 2020 and also won the student choice award.
The university which is renowned for its sports driven courses is spread in the lush campus that welcomes more than 18,400 students, about 3300 of which are international students from over 140 different countries. Nearly 12% of the employees are international members from across 70 countries. The university has more than 170 clubs and societies which engage over 3,300 students. Admission at Loughborough University is available in multiple intakes and follows January 15 and and September 6 as its application deadlines for international undergraduates and graduates, respectively.
Scholarships are offered separately for international students, undergraduate, and graduate students, and subject-wise. Some of the most demanded courses here are Engineering, Architecture, Computer Sciences, Biology, Economics, and Business Management, etc. Loughborough University has rich gender equality as it has a female and male ratio of 41:59. With an acceptance rate of nearly 68%, the institute is a moderately competitive university to get into when seeking to study in the UK.
Loughborough University Rankings
|Basis of Ranking||Ranking||Websites/Institutes|
|World University Ranking 2021||226||QS Ranking|
|World University Ranking 2021||351-400||Times Higher Education|
|Young University||62||Times Higher Education|
|European teaching||48||Times Higher Education|
|University of the year||5||The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide|
|Teaching||Gold||Teaching Excellence Framework|
|World Ranking for sports-related subjects||1||QS Ranking|
|National Ranking for student experience||1||Times Higher Education|
|Location||Loughborough, United Kingdom|
|Mode of Program||Full time, distance and online|
|Admission Helpdesk||[email protected];|
call at +44(0)1509 222201
Loughborough University Programs, Camus and Accommodation
- The institute has a bustling campus which spreads across 440 acres of lush, green and that is accredited to the internationally recognized environmental management system
- A student village for the residence of 600 students along with their recreation and fitness facilities is provided by the university
- The student village has a world class Elite Athlete Center and Hotel which includes 44 four-star bedrooms and many more facilities
- The university has more than 170 clubs and societies to choose from with a thriving campus offering endless growth opportunities for its students
- Nearly 50 million GBP have been invested in the new residence halls making by the university for the comfort of its incoming students
- Undergraduate students have 16 halls for them both on and near campus and 3 halls of residence for postgraduate students.
- Undergrad residence halls include Cayley, David Collett, Elvyn Richards while post grad halls include John Phillips, Forest Court, Harry French.
- The institute offers various courses for international students at undergraduate and graduate levels.
- The university is divided into four colleges which are further fragmented into 10 schools, 20 academic departments and 100 research groups.
- A range of undergrad courses and degrees are offered including BA, BSc, BArch and Bachelors in Engineering along with masters degrees like MSc, MA and MBA programs
- Short courses like postgraduate certificates (PGCert) and postgraduate diplomas are also offered by the university.
Loughborough University Admission process
- UG applications- Apply through the Universities and Colleges Admission (UCAS).
- PG applications- Apply through University’s online application system
General requirements: Official academic transcripts, official degree completion certificate, Letter of Recommendations
Additional requirements: Birth certificate, passport copy, personal statement, essay, and research proposal (for research programs).
English proficiency Requirements:
|IELTS||6.5 overall with 6.0 in each individual element (Some program might require more)|
|TOEFL IBT||Overall 92, 22 is the minimum for each test|
|Language Cert||Combined written and oral test C1 expert pass|
|Duolingo English Test||110|
|Country||Admission Requirements (UG)||Admission Requirements (PG)|
|India||Secondary 12th School Leaving Certificate|
CBSE ICSE West Bengal Board – 78%-88% average in best 4 subjects
Other state board – 83%-93% in best 4 subjects
|Any universities under India Ranking of Higher Educational Institute Framework- 65% (First)|
Other Institute- 70% (First with distinction)
|Canada||General High School Diploma – 80%-93%|
60% or higher in grade 10 maths (Maths Specific Requirements)
A level Maths, both Mathematics 30-1 & 30-2 (Specific Requirements)
|First class Honour- 70%|
GPA (out of 4.0)/Percentage- 3.7/85%
|British Columbia||‘BBBBBB’ –‘AAAAAA’ from best 6 subjects in grade 12|
Subject with grade ‘A’ or ‘B’ (Specific Requirements)
|Japan||Upper Secondary School Leaving Certificate|
Candidates must have 12 years of school education
Subject with 75%-80% (Specific Requirements)
Loughborough University Cost of Attendance
The table below shows the cost of living in the UK for international students enrolling at both undergrad and postgrad courses at the institute. The tuition fee varies from course to course and is as mentioned below.
|Undergraduate tuition fees|
|Programs||International Tuition fees|
|Brand A courses||18,650 GBP|
|Brand B Courses||23,100 GBP|
|Brand C courses||19,100 GBP|
|Postgraduate Tuition fees|
|Program||International tuition fees (GBP)|
|Brand 3||23, 500|
Note: Postgraduate fees is only for the Loughborough campus and not the London campus
Loughborough University Scholarships/Financial Aid
- The University invests more than 1 million GBP each year in undergraduate scholarships and bursaries to provide financial support for international students looking to study in the UK
- All self funded international students are automatically registered for the international scholarship which waives off 25% of tuition fee for the first year of study
- About 10% scholarship for students who achieve an upper second class degree and are self funded, international students.
|Name||Money Worth (Pounds)||Eligibility|
|International Scholarships||25% of first-year tuition fee||International Students|
|Loughborough University Bursary||Up to 3,600 over 3 years||UK Students|
|Performance Programme Bursary||1,000 paid in 3 equal installments across the year (reviewed Annually)||UK Students|
|Mature Athlete Bursary||1,000 paid in 3 equal installments across the year (reviewed Annually)||UK Students|
|Sports Scholarships||Up to 5,000 per year (depends on sports performance)||The UK and International Students|
|Athlete with a Disability||1,000 paid in 3 equal installments across the year (reviewed Annually)||UK Students|
|Hardship Fund||The UK and International Students||Variable|
|Opportunity Scholarships||9,000 over 3 years||UK Students|
Loughborough University Alumni Network
- A community of over 181,000 alumni from across 167 countries is a rich resource
- About 814 graduates are also proud donors to the university
- Nearly 104 alumni from the network volunteered their time to support Loughborough
- Few of the notable alumni include Ore Oduba (TV presenter), Emma Hatton (West End actress and singer), Andrew Fisher (Founder Shazam), Penny Briscoe OBE (Director of sport, British Paralympics Association and many more.
Loughborough University Placements
Career Network at Loughborough University was rated rank 1 Career services in student barometer survey of students at over 200 universities internationally. A highly active network cell which works on advising and guiding students, developing employable skills and network effectively for opportunities
The university has great international links which bring in big multinational companies for placements. Career Network offers various presentations, workshops and skill sessions. The students also get a chance to meet the employers at career fairs like the Spring fair week etc.