Last Updated on December 20, 2022
PROGRAM OVERVIEW, FEATURES AND RESOURCES
Our diverse and strong Music Education program regularly welcomes nearly 100 new majors in the Bachelor’s, Master’s and Ph.D. programs.
- Access to multiple ensembles: bands, choirs, jazz, orchestra, opera and World Music.
- Performing Arts Library, accessible both in-person and digitally.
- Nearly 200 annual events and concerts, including live streaming.
- Breadth of courses available: music theory, history, ethnomusicology, and education.
- Applied, individual study with faculty artist-teachers: brass, percussion, piano, strings, voice and woodwinds.
- Field experience partnerships with many local school districts to prepare students for varied music teaching positions.
- Coursework in cutting-edge areas of music teaching such as music technology, popular music, World Music.
- Most courses are taught by full-time faculty members with combined music teaching experience of more than 100 years.
- An active chapter of the Ohio Collegiate Music Educators Association.
- A Community Music Initiative that connects our School to the Kent educational community.
- Faculty leadership in national music education organizations such as the Society for Music Teacher Education, Technology Institute for Music Education, Gordon Institute for Music Learning, American Choral Directors Association, American String Teachers Association, College Band Directors National Association, and others.
DEGREES AND PROGRAMS OFFERED
|B.M. Music Education*||Online M.M. in Music Education*|
|M.A. in Teaching||Ph.D. in Music Education*|
|Jazz Studies Minor*||World Music Minor*|
|Arts Entrepreneurship Minor|
*All Glauser School programs are fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music.
|Jay Dorfman, Ph.D||Herbert “Butch” Marshall, Ph.D.|
|Wendy K. Matthews, Ph.D.||Craig Resta, Ph.D.|
|Jasmine Hines, Ph.D.|
kent state music masters
EXPLORE OUR MASTER’S AND DOCTORAL DEGREE PROGRAMS
A graduate degree from the Hugh A. Glauser School of Music is your passport to the professional world and continuing advanced education. Comprehensive and intensive, our degree programs offer the right mix of academic training and applied experience.
Master of Music (M.M.)
Music Education (Online only)
Master of Arts (M.A.)
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
Graduate Assistantship Information
Financing Your Graduate Study
The Hugh A. Glauser School of Music offers Graduate Assistantships in:
- Graduate string quartet
- Music education
Students interested in a graduate assistantship must indicate their interest on the University Graduate Studies application
Graduate Audition Requirements
EXPERIENCE THE SCHOOL OF MUSIC
- Request a visit day for a School of Music tour, observe ensemble rehearsals, have a sample lesson, and more.
- Participate in one of our Academic Events!
- Attend a performance.
STEPS TO JOINING THE SCHOOL OF MUSIC
- Step 1: Explore our graduate degrees and programs to find what’s right for you.
- Step 2: Apply to Kent State University through the Graduate Studies Application.
- Step 3: Complete your School of Music audition or interview, if required. Graduate Assistantships are available based on your audition and/or interview and the needs of the School of Music.
- Step 4: If accepted to Kent State University and the School of Music, click here to accept your offer of admission through the application portal. If offered a School of Music Graduate Assistantship, please also return your signed letter to accept it.