Last Updated on December 20, 2022
Admission to the Kent Campus as a graduate student is selective. We take a holistic approach to the application review process and consider a variety of factors in the admissions decision. Our graduate programs carefully review each applicant based on multiple factors.
Approximately 1,500 international students from nearly 100 countries are currently enrolled at Kent State. We’re excited to have you join us as a graduate student and are here to help you every step of the way. We take a holistic approach to the application review process and consider a variety of factors in the admissions decision. Good luck!
Admissions Criteria and Requirements
Before you begin your application, please review Kent State’s requirements.
Education & GPA Requirements
Graduate admission requirements differ from program to program, so you will need to follow the expectations of the specific department, school or college you wish to apply to. Please check the website www.kent.edu/gps for the latest updates.
English Language Proficiency
All international undergraduate and graduate applicants must submit an English language proficiency test score to be considered for a Kent State program unless they meet specific exceptions.
All undergraduate applicants must obtain one of the following:
- TOEFL iBT: 71; Home Edition iBT: 71
- Revised PBT: 18 (average score)
- IELTS Academic and IELTS indicator: 6.0
- PTE Academic: 48
- Completion of the Kent State University ESL Center Level 8 Intensive English program with a minimum of 3.75 out of 4.0 GPA
- ELS Level 112 Intensive English Program completion
- SAT: a minimum of 510 evidence-based reading and writing
- ACT: a minimum of 21 in English
Please note, Kent State accepts MyBest™ scores for the TOEFL iBT® test, in addition to TOEFL iBT scores from a single test date.
Graduate programs set their own English requirements. Please review the Graduate Program English Requirements before submitting your application.
All international applicants must provide proof of English language proficiency unless they qualify for a proficiency waiver.
- Undergraduate applicants who do not meet the minimum language score for admission may be admitted conditionally if they meet academic requirements.
- Some graduate programs offer Conditional Admission. Graduate applicants who are interested in Conditional Admission should still provide an English language proficiency test to be considered.
Conditional Admission means students will take English language classes at our ESL Center before entering their programs.
- If you only want to apply for the ESL program then you should submit an ESL application.
- If you are looking for Conditional Admission, then you should submit a regular undergraduate application.
SUBMITTING YOUR ENGLISH TEST SCORE
When applying as an undergraduate or graduate student to Kent State, there are a variety of ways to submit your score depending on which type of test you took.
- Students should request that ETS send official TOEFL scores directly to Kent (institution code: 1367).
- An IELTS or PTE report needs to be uploaded as a scanned PDF into our online application system..
All English scores will be verified for authenticity. Students with fraudulent documents will result in denial of admission or immediate dismissal.
Depending on your educational background, you may be eligible for an English language proficiency waiver, meaning you do not need to take a language exam. See our country list and related requirements.
Check Eligibility for an English Proficiency Waiver
Once you are enrolled and throughout your time with Kent State University, there are numerous academic resources that you can take advantage of such as tutoring, peer mentoring, advising drop-ins, study groups, language or conversation clubs. We offer a variety of options to assist you with your academics and your personal wellbeing too.
kent state university application fee for international students
Kent State offers a highly favorable match between the cost and quality of a college degree.
We offer more than 280 undergraduate majors, as well as programs at the master’s and PhD levels. There are a variety of merit-based scholarships for eligible first-year international students. When combined, available scholarships have the potential of awarding an international student up to $32,000 towards a four-year undergraduate degree.
Check our Tuition & Fees page or see the chart below for average tuition and living expenses for an international student for one academic year. These costs are unique for international and would not apply to domestic students.
Estimated Expenses 2020-2021 (Also for Issuing I20’s)
|International Undergraduate (12-18 credits) (Full time for immigration purposes)||International Graduate (calculated at 9 credits) (Full time for immigration purposes)||ESL||American Academy||Aeronautics w/Flight Tech||Mater of Architecture, Arch & Env Design, Landscape & Arch, Urban Design, Healthcare Design|
|Tuition and Fees (1 year, two semesters) – out of state tuition) *||$20,799||$21,952||$10,552||$11,000||$40,799||$22,992|
|Living Expenses (estimated)||$12,412||$12,412||$12,412||$12,412||$12,412||$12,412|
|Other Costs: Medical Insurance and Books/Supplies (estimated)||$7,661||$7,661||$7,661||$7,661||$7,661||$7,661|
* Costs may vary depending on student’s individual plan of study.
For issuing I20’s, additional proof of finances must also be provided for dependents as follows:
- $4,500 for spouse or other first dependent
- $2,500 for each additional dependent
Kent State University requires all international students to purchase the sponsored student health insurance plan. Under certain criteria, a student may request a waiver of this charge.
A VERY AFFORDABLE AMERICAN EDUCATION
As an international student, you’re qualified for many of Kent State’s scholarships, especially if you have a strong academic background.
- 93% of first year students receive financial assistance through scholarships, grants, loans or employment.
- 85% of full-time undergraduate students receive financial assistance.
- $66+ million in scholarships was offered to incoming freshmen in 2020-2021.
- $420+ million in scholarships and financial aid was awarded to over 32,000 students in 2019-2020.