Last Updated on August 28, 2023
You may find it hard to access the right information on the internet, so we are here to help you in the following article, providing the best and updated information on how to study for a long time without getting bored, how to concentrate on studies. Read on to learn more. We at collegelearners have all the information that you need about how to study effectively. Read on to learn more.
How to study for a long time
Want to study for 10+ hours without getting distracted or bored? Well, it isn’t an easy task, to begin with. But you can surely train your mind to stay focused and away from distractions through certain exercises. Here is how you can study for long hours without falling into distractions:
- Set Achievable Study Tasks
First of all, start with setting practical goals for yourself. Take up chapters and concepts that are more scoring, topics of your interests as well as where you are lagging behind and then set a practical schedule and achievable tasks.
- Learn to Prioritize
You must always know which concepts, topics or subjects you need to focus more on and thus prioritize them accordingly. Swap subjects between an hour or 45 minutes or any other time you will feel bored and take up an interesting concept. You can always use a unique subject combination of interconnected subjects or topics which will increase your focus and learning power.
- Create the Best Focused Environment to Study
Finding a peaceful place to focus on your studying is also essential for minimising distractions and boredom. So, you must first look for a place where you won’t be disturbed for a long time (or however long your study time is) and then turn off all the distractions. Put some peaceful study music and then begin.
- Incorporate Breaks
While studying for long hours, you must always incorporate short breaks to relax whether it’s just for a stretch, a long walk or a scroll through your feed. Make sure to put a timer on your breaks and don’t get carried away.
- Add Some Fun to your Study Sessions
Next, you must also try to make your study time fun either by asking a friend to study with you or adding music or engaging learning methods. This doesn’t mean that if you have set a 10-hour study session, you will be watching concept videos throughout these long hours. Rather you should take a certain chunk of your study time, and call up a friend for a group study session or use a learning app to finish up some tutorials. For the remaining time, you must incorporate focus and minimum distraction to get the best out of your time.
- Nap when Needed
Napping has been found to be useful for recharging our brains and improving focus. You can nap for fewer than 30 minutes in between your study time and it is always better to take this nap at the same time every day as this will sync it with your circadian rhythm.
- Active Not Passive Study
Most of us often study passively for long hours without even realizing that we didn’t take away much from our study session. The best way to study actively is to write down your own notes, make flashcards of concepts, or learn through the memory palace technique. This means you must stay involved while learning anything so that you are not on autopilot throughout the session.
Science-backed Technique to Focus While Studying
Here are some of the best science-backed techniques to focus while studying:
- Meditate for at least 20 minutes every day
- Create a study schedule
- Use soothing study music
- Turn off all the technology that distracts you
- Prepare a perfect study spot
- Get up for a walk or workout
- Train your mind to focus for a longer time
- Schedule breaks in-between your study
- Don’t be a multitasker!
Even with trying all these techniques, you can slowly train your mind to learn to focus whenever you study but you should remember to not try too hard, always take a few minutes to relax when it becomes difficult to focus.
Essential Tips & Tricks
As discussed, it is possible to stretch study hours and this can be achieved by following certain tricks. So, if you also want to know that How can you study for long hours without getting tired then go through the enlisted points:
Keep Your Mind Fresh
General advice would be to keep your mind fresh and well-rested before you begin. A tired and groggy mind is not even useful for a shorter study session as it may result in a lack of motivation and prolonged procrastination.
Organise your Task List
Always organise the topics of your day and start with the difficult ones in order to complete them as early as possible. This way, you will be left with the easier ones at the end of the day.
Play Peaceful Music to Focus
Instrumental music can amazingly help you in concentrating and focusing on your studies. There are many websites and online platforms offering free audio playlists for better focus, less stress as well as enhanced concentration. Stay away from loud music as it can distract you though it mainly varies from one person to another on which type of music helps them focus. So, plug in your earphones, zoom out of the outside world and dive deeper into the topics you are studying.How to Prepare for Competitive Exams?
An empty stomach can result in a bad study session and you may also feel lethargic if you’ve eaten too much fast food.
Steal a Power Nap
Steal a nap between different subjects or topics. Our mind has limited powers and may stop working after a period of time due to lethargy. Hence, taking power naps might prove useful.
Indulge in exercises and other physical activities to keep your mind and your body fit. Being physically active has a positive impact on our brain which further helps in improving focus.
Avoid taking stress about exams. It is necessary to ensure that your mind is not full of worries and tensions when you are sitting down to study. Having a clear mind will help in retaining more information.
Take regular breaks during long study sessions. These breaks will work as restoring sessions for your mind giving you some space to freshen up and concentrate better with a relaxed mind.
Plan your Day
It is advisable to plan your study sessions during the day because you can stay less drowsy in the daylight which will further assist in increasing your productivity.
Find a Study Space Where You can Focus Better
The study space you have chosen will also play a central role in whether you are able to study for long hours or end up getting entangled with distractions! Select a peaceful study room where you won’t be distracted or you can also shuffle between your usual study space and a library or a greener space where you can concentrate easily and move away from the noises and bustling life.
Keep Up the Motivation!
While curating a schedule, taking regular breaks and ensuring your physical well-being is important, it is also crucial to motivate yourself from time to time whenever you feel down or demotivated. Get some interesting Motivational Quotes printed for your study space or create DIY posters to the surrounding environment colourful and positive! Whenever you feel low or demotivated, spend some time with your friends, watch a movie or spare some quality time with yourself. Remember you will be able to focus better only when you are motivated and optimistic otherwise you’ll end up cramming stuff which would be of no use.
Find Interesting Ways to Study
In the words of the endearing fictional genius ‘Rancho’, you must always “reach for excellence and success will chase you!” As you plan your studies for long hours, the first and foremost thing you must keep in mind is to explore innovative methods to learn and remember the topic you are studying. Some of the best ways to study for long hours are:
- Create flashcards and colourful notes to remember essential concepts.
- Use memory hacks to learn formulas and terms.
- Learn concepts through visuals like videos, pictures, etc.
- Find interest in the topics or subjects you are studying through weaving stories around them!
- Give yourself a reward every time you complete a lengthy or difficult subject.
- Make realistic goals that you can achieve in time and don’t push yourself excessively.
- Teach the topics you have learned to someone else.
We have accumulated the list of Best Learning Methods for you!
Staying Focused for Long Hours
By now you have understood how to study for long hours, however, to study with full potential, staying focused is important. Given below are some techniques which can help you stay focused for longer periods:
- Avoid distractions
- Set a timer to complete a task
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Meditate for at least 15 minutes
- Focus on one task and then move to another
- Write a success mantra on your study table or keep a calendar/wall hanging having quotes which motivate you
How Longer Study Sessions can be Helpful?
Strategizing your time during exam preparations is extremely important. Defining how many hours you will need for each subject or concept will depend on your strengths and weaknesses. A subject may take you a lesser time than someone who will be able to grasp it in a longer duration. Retention of knowledge varies in every individual. Due to this fact, there are students who spend a longer period of time studying something that others may take less time in completing. This is why mastering the art of ‘how to study for long hours’ becomes crucial for establishing an effective study routine.
- However, the habit of studying for long hours can only be developed gradually. When you study for a longer duration without distractions, you are more likely to learn quicker and retain knowledge for a longer period of time.
- Potentially, your daily knowledge retention will get better if you train your mind to concentrate for an extensive period.
- With longer study hours, you will also have an ample amount of time to rectify problems and identify the weaker concepts that you need to focus on.
- Better and thorough learning is useful, however, it is necessary to ensure that you are not cramming up the subjects. The quality of studying is important than the number of topics that you have covered.
how to study effectively
Being properly organized and prepared for tests and exams can make all the difference to school performance. Effective studying starts with the right attitude—a positive outlook can shift studying from a punishment to an opportunity to learn.
There is no one-size-fits-all approach when learning how to effectively study. Studying methods should be tailored to each student. Everyone has different abilities, so it is important to determine what works for you and what doesn’t. (Find out what type of learner you are and which study techniques will work best for you!)
For some students, studying and staying motivated comes easily — others may have to work a little bit harder.
WHAT IS THE MOST EFFECTIVE WAY TO STUDY?
Finding the best way to study is an ongoing process. It isn’t something that can be left to the night before the test. You should be constantly improving your study skills to better understand what works (and what doesn’t).
Learning how to study better helps avoid panic and frustration the next time a big test is coming up. After all, you are more likely to do well and be less stressed before a test when you have had time to properly review and practice the material!
Mastering effective study habits not only makes it easier to learn but will also help you get better grades in high school and post-secondary.
DISCOVER THE 12 SECRETS TO STUDYING EFFECTIVELY THAT WILL HELP YOU ACE YOUR NEXT TEST.
- GET ORGANIZEDCarry a homework planner at all times. Entering homework, projects, tests and assignments as soon as they are assigned will make sure they aren’t forgotten about.
- PAY ATTENTION IN CLASSIt’s important to concentrate and avoid distractions when the teacher is speaking. Practice active listening by concentrating on what’s being said and taking notes in your own words. This will help make sure you hear (and understand) what is being taught in class.
- STEER CLEAR OF DISTRACTIONSDistractions are everywhere—from cell phones to social media to friends. Be aware of what distracts you in class and know how to steer clear of these distractions. Avoid sitting next to friends if you know they will distract you. Turning off your cell phone will also help make sure you are paying attention to your teacher.
- MAKE SURE NOTES ARE COMPLETEWriting clear and complete notes in class will help you process the information you are learning. These notes will also become study notes that can be reviewed before a test. Talk to friends or the teacher if you have missed a class to ensure your notes are complete.
- ASK QUESTIONS IF YOU DON’T UNDERSTANDRaise your hand and ask questions if you don’t understand something. If you don’t feel comfortable asking in front of everyone, write yourself a reminder to talk to the teacher after class.
- MAKE A STUDY SCHEDULE/PLANWhen making a study schedule, look at your planner and think about what needs to be accomplished. Think about the types of questions that will be on the test and the topics that will be covered so you know what you should focus on. Set specific goals for each study session, like how many topics you will cover by the end of the session.
- REVIEW NOTES FROM CLASS EVERY EVENINGAfter school, review and expand on the notes from class. Reviewing notes helps move material learned from short-term memory into long-term memory, which will help next time you have a big test.
- TALK TO TEACHERSTeachers are there to help you do your best. Talk to your teacher and ask for clarification or extra help if you need it before your test. Taking the initiative to ask for help goes a long way with teachers!
- DESIGNATE A STUDY AREAThe best study spot is one that is quiet, well-lit, and in a low-traffic area. Make sure there is a clear workspace to study and write on. Everyone’s needs are different, so it is important you find a spot that works for you.
- STUDY IN SHORT BURSTSFor every 30 minutes you study, take a short 10-15 minute break to recharge. Short study sessions are more effective and help you make the most of your study time. Find out more about taking a study break that works.
- SIMPLIFY STUDY NOTESMake studying less overwhelming by condensing notes from class. Underline or highlight key words. Create visual aids like charts, story webs, mind maps, or outlines to organize and simplify information and help you remember better.
- STUDY WITH A GROUPWorking with classmates encourages an interactive environment to keep you engaged. This gives you a chance to test your knowledge with others, quiz each other on the content, and help boost each other’s confidence.