Last Updated on December 20, 2022
Software Engineering Degree Program
Learn to apply systematic engineering principles to the design, construction, and maintenance of large software applications.
KEY LEARNING OUTCOMES
Through the degree program in software engineering you:
- Develop an understanding of current technologies, such as databases, communication protocols, cloud computing, and web frameworks and their application.
- Gain the ability to specify, design, implement, analyze, and improve software solutions from a wide variety of domains.
- Learn how to adapt to new and emerging technologies.
This degree includes 12 courses, with at least one course taken on campus.
- Get started. You begin by completing two stipulated degree courses as outlined on the degree requirements page. This is your opportunity to demonstrate your commitment and ability to perform well as a Harvard student.
- Apply to the program. While completing the second course, you submit the admission application. We have application cycles in the fall, spring, and summer.
- Continue your studies, online and on campus. As you progress through the program, you choose from courses offered on campus or online, year round in the fall, spring, or summer. To fully experience Harvard, you take at least one course on campus. Weekend options available.
- Complete a thesis or capstone.
- If you choose the thesis track, you work independently with a thesis director to conduct in-depth research on a software engineering topic relevant to your professional plans.
- If you choose the capstone track, you work in teams to define an architectural model and a project plan, then implement a system.
- Graduate with your Harvard degree. You participate in the annual Harvard Commencement, receiving your Harvard University degree: Master of Liberal Arts (ALM) in Extension Studies, field: Software Engineering.