Last Updated on January 19, 2023
A BA in Linguistics is a popular choice among students with an interest in understanding how languages around the world derive their structure and meaning. Exactly what is a BA in Linguistics? This degree teaches students to understand and analyze the structure, sound, meaning, use, and development of language.
BA Linguistics is a three-year undergraduate course for students seeking interest in the scientific study of human language. This course helps students in understanding how languages around the world derive their structure and meaning.
Students gain knowledge, understand and analyze the structure, sound, meaning, use, and development of language. BA Linguistics graduates develop strong skills in research, analysis, and critical thinking throughout the course.
BA Linguistic eligibility is that the candidate must have completed their Intermediate (10+2) from a recognized board. Many of the colleges and universities conduct their own entrance exams whereas some take students on the basis of marks obtained in 10+2.
The average fee for this course lies INR 5,000 to INR 50,000 for the duration of three years.
BA Linguistic graduates are hired as Linguist, Proofreader, Editor, Teacher, Dictionary Compiler, Lecturer, Speech Therapist, Speech Trainer, etc. The average salary of a Linguistic graduate can be in the range of INR 2,00,000 to INR 6,00,000 per annum.
Admission to Bachelor of Arts Linguistics is offered through both merit and entrances in India.
- Colleges and Universities generate their cut off list based on scores of 10+2 then you are offered to take admission in that program. Cut off List in elite colleges of Delhi University like Hindu College, Miranda House, Gargi College, etc. goes upto 98% for BA courses.
- Few colleges like Banaras Hindu University, Chandigarh University, Delhi University and more take admission through entrances like JNUEE, BHU UET, DUET, CUCET, etc. Scores in these entrance exams and/or Intermediate scores are considered during BA Linguistics Admission.
What is the BA Linguistics Eligibility Criteria?
Any aspirant willing to pursue BA Linguistics must check the mentioned below eligibility criteria to be fulfilled.
- The basic BA Linguistics eligibility is to secure a minimum of 40% in Intermediate (Class XII) from any recognized board.
- Many colleges/ universities require a minimum of 50% marks in graduation to get admission into this course or they conduct their own entrance exam
- If aspirants are aiming to study in Delhi University, Mumbai University or other prestigious universities, one needs to score more than 92%.
- SC/ST/OBC/Differently abled candidates get a 5% relaxation in this criteria of BA Linguistic admission.
B.A. Linguistics is an undergraduate language program dealing with the logical investigation of human dialect; likewise, it is the investigation of the structure, nature, and variety of dialect, including phonology, phonetics, morphology, semantics, grammar, sociolinguistics, as well as pragmatics.
- BA Linguistics is a study of language which identifies the common element connecting the languages and draws its relevance from archaeology, psychology, anthropology, philosophy, English, computer science, sociology, and almost every other subject.
- This course offers an understanding of the basis of valuable insight into the relationship between culture, language, and society, linguistic and analytical skills, and practical application of theories to the social context by introducing different aspects to the analysis of language use.
- BA Linguistic discipline includes three broad areas: theoretical Linguistics (phonology, syntax, semantics), psycholinguistics (language acquisition, language processing), and language use (bilingualism, phonetics, discourse studies, historical linguistics).
- Students gain knowledge of universal linguistic concepts and effectively learn other languages, including ones that are not closely related to a graduate’s native tongue.
Given below, find the BA Linguistics Course Highlights.
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Arts in Linguistics|
|Eligibility||10+2 or equivalent|
|Course Fee||INR 3,000 – INR 70,000|
|Average Salary||INR 2.00,000 – INR 6,00,000|
|Job Positions||Linguist, Proofreader, Editor, Teacher, Dictionary Compiler, Lecturer, Speech Therapist, Speech Trainer, etc.|
The BA Linguistics program is seeing rising popularity with today’s generation of students. Some of the reasons why this program is getting increasingly popular and why anyone should study this program are given below:
- BA Linguistics studies the nature of language and communication and deals both with the study of particular languages, and the search for general properties common to all languages or large groups of languages.
- Students having a keen interest in the languages spoken around the world and their origin must opt for this course.
- BA Linguistics provides knowledge that can be applied to improving communication between people, contributing to translation activities, assisting in literacy efforts, and treating speech disorders.
- This course helps perceiving the world around us and how we relate to one another, it defines who we are through different speaking languages.