Last Updated on January 17, 2023
A radiographer produces radiography of patients with the help of X-ray to find the exact medical condition of the patient. In addition with X-ray, a radiographer also considers CT scans, ultrasounds and MRI for producing radiography.
Radiology field is broadly divided into two areas namely diagnostic radiology and interventional radiology.
Diagnostic Radiology is the specialization of medicine that uses the images of X-Ray and other imaging techniques to diagnose the disease and injury of patient.
Interventional Radiology is the another medical specialty that also uses imaging techniques (X-ray, CT, MRI and ultrasound) for direction. Patients can be treated and diagnosed using minimally invasive procedures
The need of educated and professional radiology technologists in hospitals, clinics, and physicians’ offices are increasing continuously. The field of radiography will be continued to show higher than average job growth into the future. After completing your degree in this field you will become Radiologist (MD), Radiology Technologists/ Radiographer, Radiology Technicians, Ultrasound Technician/ Diagnostic Medical Sonographer, MRI Technician, CT Tech/ CAT Scan Technologist/ CT Scan Technologist.
To determine or discover the diseases within the human body, a radiologists uses a variety of imaging techniques that include X-ray radiography, ultrasound, Computed Tomography (CT), Nuclear medicine such as Positron Emission Tomography (PET) and MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) to diagnose and treat the diseases.
Courses & Duration
Also Check – Courses after 12th Science
You can pursue diploma courses, bachelor’s course, master’s course and certification courses in the field of radiology. You can apply for UG courses after completing 12th. The courses offered in radiology are mentioned below:
- Certificate in Radiography
- Certificate in Radiology Assistant
- Certificate in Radiography Diagnostic
Diploma Courses – 2 years
- Diploma in Radiography and Radiotherapy
- Diploma in Radio-diagnostic Technology
Bachelor’s Courses – 3 years
- B.Sc in Radiography
- B.Sc (Hons.) in Medical Radiotherapy Technology
Master’s Courses – 2 yearshttps://0955e659b7cf7ff5c142a2cc28a39999.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-38/html/container.html
- Post Graduate Diploma in Radiotherapy Technology
- Post Graduate Diploma in Radio-diagnosis and Imaging Sciences
- Post Graduate Diploma in X-ray Radiography and Ultra-sonography
How to become a Radiologists?
- Career of radiologists begins with earning a bachelor’s degree. After graduating from medical school, you are awarded with the degree of M.O. (or D.O.). Now, you can apply for the medical license and will be considered as a physician.
- Now, a physician must have completed four years of a radiology residency to become a radiologists.
- State license is very important for radiologists. The license will be provided after the two-part examination covering medicine, anatomy, imaging modalities and physics.
Also Check – NEET 2021
Radiology can be done in the following specializations:
- Breast-imaging specialist
- Diagnostic radiology
- Genitourinary radiology
- Cardiovascular radiologist
- Emergency radiology
- Radiation oncology
- Gastrointestinal radiology
- Nuclear radiology
- Pediatric radiology
A good radiologists must be skilled in the following areas:
- A complete understanding of medical and human anatomy that relates human health.
- Strong technical skills is required as they have to work on computer.
- Excellent vision and analytical skills are required.
- One must have interest and solid background in Biology, Physiology and Anatomy.
Top colleges of India offers medical education in radiology are listed here:
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS 2021)
- Armed Forces Medical College, Pune (AFMC 2021)
- Christian Medical College, Vellore
- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research, Pondicherry (JIPMER 2021)
- Lady Hardinge Medical College, Delhi
- Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi
All India Institute of Medical Sciences
Ansari Nagar, New Delhi
Course: 3 year B.Sc. (Radiography) degree
Eligibility: Those students who have passed B.Sc. can look for admission in some of the
Southern hospitals where they provide one year diploma courses in which local
students are given preference.
Poddar Management and Training Institute
B-31, Tilak Nagar, Jaipur-302004
Course: 2 years program in Radiography
Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences
4th T Block, Jayanagar, Bangalore – 560 041
Ph: 080-26961933, 26961935
Course: B.Sc. Radiography
University College of Medical Sciences and GTB Hospital, Shahdara
Department of Radiology, Radiotherapy, Radiodiagnosis & Radiation Medicine
Course: M.D. in Radiodiagnosis
Tata Memorial Centre
P.G. Section, 215, IV floor
Service Block Building
Tata Memorial Hospital, Parel
Mumbai – 400 012
Tel.: 24177000 Ext. 4665
Course:PG Diploma in Radiotherapy Technology, MD Radio diagnosis, Radio therapy
TCR Institute for Materials Technology
Plot No. EL-182, MIDC-TTC, Electronic Zone
Behind Nelco, Mhape, Navi Mumbai-400 710
Tel: 27610921/22/23, 27612324, 27631508
Tel: 32936355, 65160805, 65168100/8200
Course: NDT Radiography Testing Level I Certification Training
Eligibility: Candidate should have a minimum of High-school level education
Duration: 40 hours
Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education & Research
Sector-12, Chandigarh PIN- 160 012, INDIA
Phone: EPBAX: 0091-172-2747585
Fax: 0091-172-2744401, 2745078
Email: [email protected]
Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Post Graduation Medical Education Research
Dhanvantri Nagar, Gorimedu, Pondicherry – 605 006, India
Telephone Exchange (key board) Lines: (0413) 2272380 – 90 (11 lines), 2272132,
2272181, 2272337, 2272339, 2272342, 2272738, 2272142(Casualty)
Telex: 0469-244 JIP IN
Fax: (0413) 2272067 (Director), 2272066(Dean), 2272735(M.S.)
E-mail: [email protected]
List of Medical Colleges in Various States and Major Cities
For your reference we are giving you a state-wise list of medical colleges in India. Please click on the links given below to find list of medical institutes in that particular state/UT/city.
Radiography Colleges in Major Cities
Radiography Colleges in Various States
- Andhra Pradesh
- Himachal Pradesh
- Jammu & Kashmir
- Madhya Pradesh
- Tamil Nadu
- Uttar Pradesh
- West Bengal