Last Updated on July 29, 2023
Will you learn all about cyber security degree in Canada? Have you been searching the internet tirelessly for answers to this without successful results? Well, you do not need to search any further, as the article below explains in detail everything you need to know about cyber security degree in Canada.
Collegelearners offers updated information about cyber security degree in Canada together with 2 year cyber security degree in Canada, 1 year cyber security degree in Canada, cyber security undergraduate degree in Canada, masters degree in cyber security in Canada, cyber security degree programs in canada. Related posts on where can i study cyber security in Canada can also be found on Collegelearners.
MS in Cyber Security in Canada is offered by a handful of universities under different degree types like Master of Science, Master of Applied Science, Master of Engineering, etc. The duration of MS in Cyber Security in Canada varies from 1- 2 years. The cost of studying this program ranges between 17,239 CAD – 31,290 CAD annually.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Cyber Security, or a related field is the basic eligibility to get enrolled in MS in Cyber Security in universities of Canada. Graduates with MS in Cyber Security can find jobs in Canada with IT industry giants such as Deloitte, TD Canada Trust, Bell, CGI, Ernest & Young (EY). Starting annual salary of any individual with a master’s in Cyber Security in Canada is 42,716 CAD.
Why Study MS in Cyber Security in Canada?
Canada is one of the most popular study abroad destinations around the world. The IRCC reports, as of December 2019, there were a total of 642,480 international students in Canada at all levels, representing a 13% increase from the previous year. Additionally, here is why you should study MS in Cyber Security in Canada:
- According to Times Higher Education Rankings, Concordia University comes under the top 50 universities in the world.
- The Canadian Institute for Cybersecurity (CIC) at the University of New Brunswick dates back 20+ years in the field of cybersecurity.
- Cybersecurity expertise is in high demand. A recent report by Deloitte indicated that 5,000 cybersecurity jobs will need to be filled in Canada between 2018 and 2021.
- In last year’s budget, the Canadian government set aside $507.7 million over five years starting in 2018-19 (or $108.8 million per year) for its new National Cyber Security Strategy.
- 2018 Canadian Survey of Cyber Security and Cybercrime reported, 85% of Canadian businesses were concerned about their future cybersecurity risks, with 8% of businesses indicating the extreme concern, suggesting a need for the hour.
- Cyber professionals are employed in various sectors as:
MS in Cyber Security in Canada: Top Universities
Degrees in IT/Cybersecurity help students in learning the implementation of security measures, ensuring privacy, authenticity, and integrity of electronic data for banking systems, corporate networks, and personal computers. The table below contains information about the universities of Canada offering MS in cybersecurity.
|University||Program||Course Duration||Annual Tuition Fee (in CAD)||Brochure|
|Concordia University (#17)||Master of Applied Science in Information Systems Security||2 years||19,598|
|Master of Engineering in Information Systems Security||2 years||19,598|
|University of New Brunswick||Master of Applied Cybersecurity||1 year||22,622|
|University of Ontario Institute of Technology||Master of Information Technology Security||2 years||22,794|
Where Concordia University offers two types of degrees in masters in cybersecurity, there are a variety of short-term programs in Canada available to cybersecurity aspirants. Some of these are as follows:
- Centennial Colleges: PG Certificate in Cyber Security
- University of Winnipeg: PG Diploma in Network Security
- Red River College: PG Diploma in Information Security
If you wish to pursue a postgraduate degree in cybersecurity from Canada, you can go for the short-term diploma or certificate programs as the duration and cost of these programs is usually lesser than a masters degree.
MS in Cyber Security in Canada: Highlights
|Degrees offered||MS, MASc, MEng|
|Eligibility||UG in Computer Science, Cyber Security, or a related field|
|Annual Course Fee||17,239 CAD – 31,290 CAD|
|Starting Salary||42,716 CAD|
|Job Profile||Cyber Security Analyst, Cyber Security Architect, Cyber Security Sales Account Manager etc.|
MS in Cyber Security in Canada: Admission
The minimum basic requirements to get admission to popular universities of Canada offering masters in cybersecurity are mentioned below.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Cyber Security, or a related field with a GPA score of more than 3.0 on a 4.3 scale.
- The percentile equivalent for the same is 73 to 76%
- A grade equivalent of B grade can also be submitted.
- Proof of English proficiency – IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, etc
University-Specific Eligibility for MS in Cyber Security in Canada
University-specific basic eligibility criteria and an accepted minimum score of various standardized tests for MS in Cyber Security in Canada is as below.
Concordia University Masters in Cyber Security
For both MEng and MASc degrees in Cyber Security at Concordia University, admissions are offered for fall, winter, and summer term.
Application Fee: 103.50 CAD
- International applicants are required to have a bachelor’s degree in computer engineering, software engineering, electrical engineering or computer science.
- You may be required to sit for EWT (Engineering Writing Test) conducted by the Gina Cody School.
- A remedial course may be suggested prior to your admission to the program, depending on the performance on the test.
- Proficiency in Language:
- IELTS: 6.5
- TOEFL: 85
- PTE: 57
- Documents Required:
- Three letters of recommendation
University of New Brunswick Masters in Cyber Security
For admissions to the cybersecurity program at the University of New Brunswick, applicants are required to have an academic standing of top 20% of students in their bachelor’s degree. The admission to University of New Brunswick is detailed below:
- Grade of B (in bachelor) for course-work degree and B+ (in bachelors) for thesis degree in cybersecurity.
- UG degree in data structures, operating system & algorithm, computer architecture, and software engineering
- Intake is offered for fall and winter terms.
- GRE scores may be required
- Language proficiency:
- IELTS: 7.0
- TOEFL: 80
- PTE: 65
- Additional documents required: Letter of acceptance and preferred research areas & a proposal.
University of Ontario Institute of Technology Masters in Cyber Security
The two-year program for cybersecurity is run at the faculty of business & information technology. The intake is available for the fall and winter season. For admissions to the MITS (Masters in Information Technology Security), you must:
- Have a four year UG degree.
- Though an applicant with any background of study can be considered, preference is given to students with a UG degree in information technology, science, engineering, or related fields.
- A GPA of 3.0 on a scale of 4.3 is required.
- Language proficiency:
- IELTS: 6.5
- TOEFL: 83-87
Apart from the above-mentioned requirements to be fulfilled, for studying in Canada you are required to have a student permit.
Canadian Student Visa
The student visa acceptance rate in Canada is quite high. According to the data released by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) in May 2019, nearly 61% of the total applications for Canadian study visas were accepted. The application process for the Canadian student visa is briefly discussed below.
- Letter of acceptance along with the application
- Proof of Identity: Valid passport, Two recent passport-size photographs
- Proof of Financial Support
- Letter of Explanation: This letter provides an insight to the visa officer about the applicant’s goals and aspirations.
- Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ), if planning to study in Quebec
The applicants for a student visa for Canada can apply online as well as offline (paper application). Visa application fee – 150 CAD and Biometric Fee – 85 CAD needs to be paid during the application.
International students living in China, India, the Philippines, and Vietnam can now apply for the Canadian Student Visa via a faster and easier process called the Student Direct Stream(SDS) Program.
MS in Cyber Security in Canada: Cost of Study
Pre-arrival costs, tuition, and living expenses are the three categories in which the cost of studying abroad can be divided into. The total cost might differ depending on the university, type of accommodation, living standards, etc. Given below are tentative estimates of the expenses that international students can expect while pursuing a degree from Canada.
Pre-arrival costs consist of one-time charges such as application fee for a student visa to Canada, flight ticket, application fee, fees for exams to study in Canada, etc.
|Type of Expense||Cost(in CAD)|
|Canada Visa Fee||235 (150+85- Biometric Fee)|
The typical flight fare from India to Canada is 928 CAD to 1,856 CAD. This amount is a rough estimate which varies depending on the city you are flying from.
Tuition Fees for MS in Cyber Security in Canada
The tuition fees for pursuing a master’s in cyber security in Canada range from 19,000 CAD/year to 23,000 CAD per year. For an Indian student, this is equivalent to 10-12 Lacs as per the rate 1CAD= 53.16 INR. The cost may seem too much for a student on a budget. In such cases, international students can apply for various scholarships available for studying in Canada.
Cost of Living in Canada
The Cost of living in Canada is considerably lower compared to other countries like the USA and UK. The table below presents the average rent of accommodation in different provinces across Canada.
Average monthly rents in different states of Canada: The monthly rents for a 1 BHK apartment are indicated below:
Average Non-Academic Costs: Here is a total estimate of monthly non-academic costs, besides rent in Canada.
|Types of Expenses||Average Expenditure/ Month(in CAD)|
|Food and Grocery||9,198|
|Miscellaneous (Phone, laundry, and entertainment)||155|
MS in Cyber Security in Canada: Scholarships
Pursuing a degree from Canada is not cheap. But fortunately, there are plenty of scholarships in Canada for international students. The table below contains information on a few popular scholarships for masters level study in Canada:
|Scholarship||Applicable for||Stipend Amount(in CAD)|
|Ontario Graduate Scholarship||PG courses in Ontario Universities||10,847|
|(ISC)² Women’s Cybersecurity Scholarships||Female students in UG and PG degrees of Cyber security||Variable|
|ISC Graduate Scholarships||Students in PG programs of Cyber security||1,402 – 7,011|
|QS Leadership Scholarship||PG courses in universities of Canada||10,000|
|Aga Khan Foundation Scholarships||PG degrees in universities of Canada||Variable|
|Bharat Petroleum Scholarship||PG Courses||Variable|
MS in Cyber Security in Canada: Scope
Training and education in cybersecurity fall far short of current needs, and what will be required in the future. Worldwide by 2021, there will be 3.5 million unfilled cybersecurity positions.
Such skills shortage leaves the public, private sectors, and governments vulnerable. Moreover, the global cost of cyberattacks is believed to grow to $2.1 trillion by 2020. So, the demand for skilled professionals in Cyber Security is more than ever.
The average Cyber Security salary in Canada is 97,500 CAD per year or 50 CAD per hour. Entry-level positions start at 42,716 CAD per year while most experienced workers make up to 165,750 CAD per year.
|Job Profile||Average Annual Salary (in CAD)|
|Senior Cyber Security Specialist||87,241|
|Marketing Manager, Cyber Security||56,472|
|Cyber Security Analyst||141,375|
|Cyber Security Cloud Specialist||97,500|
|Cyber Security Account Executive||100,000|
|Cyber Security Architect||126,750|
|Senior Cyber Security Technologist||83,021|
|Cyber Security Sales Account Manager||130,000|
Post-Study Work Visa in Canada
An international student can work temporarily after completing his/ her graduation from a college or university in Canada. They would require a Canadian work visa to be eligible to work after graduation. The types of post-study work permit are as follows:
- Post Graduation Work Permit
- Other types of work permit-
- Openwork permits
- Employer-specific work permits
We live in a technology-driven world. Which leaves us vulnerable to the increasing cyberbullying and threats. The world is in need of skilled professionals in cybersecurity more than ever. With the quality of education in cybersecurity offered by universities of Canada, you can get the career of your dream and also bag a handsome salary. This suggests that pursuing a master’s in cyber security in Canada is totally worth the time and investment.