No one is born with good writing skills. It takes time to learn proper writing techniques and a great deal of practice to hone your skills. Starting with any of these six introductory writing courses will build a strong foundation of grammar skills and teach the important elements of composition and style that will improve all of your written communication from business emails to job applications.
English Grammar & Essay Writing
University of California, Berkeley
Learn how to avoid common grammatical errors, gain skills for developing an argument and get valuable experience writing, editing and proofreading essays. This course is perfect for students preparing to apply for college or who wish to develop effective written communication skills.
English for Journalists: Key Concepts
Improve your writing and grammar skills while writing about exciting and current topics in the news. Developed by the US Department Of State, Voice of America and English language educators, this free journalism course will teach you to write effective stories and reports using improved vocabulary and grammar. Explore the world of journalism and learn how ethics, equality, and fairness impact the profession. Learn more and enroll.
English for Journalists: Free Speech and Media Trends
Part two of English for Journalists focuses on writing styles and techniques for different news categories like sports, science & technology, and humor. Learn about free speech and media trends and gain an understanding of the issues facing journalists globally. Learn more about this free, self-paced course from UC Berkeley and enroll today.
Preparing for the AP* English Language and Composition Exam
Tennessee Board of Regents
This course focuses on helping learners become skilled readers and writers. It teaches you how to write for various purposes (argumentative, analytical, persuasive), how to analyze different kinds of text, and how to evaluate and use different sources for research papers. This course will prepare students for the AP English Composition exam and is also essential for avid writers and readers to get their skills to the next level.
Arizona State University
Learn to develop and express your ideas effectively for various personal professional purposes, audiences, and occasions in this comprehensive introduction to English composition. Audit the course for free or enroll in the ID Verified Track to be eligible to purchase transferable credit from ASU.
How to Write an Essay
University of California, Berkeley
Learning how to write a good essay with a powerful introduction, clear arguments ,and a well-crafted conclusion is a great way to build a foundation of writing skills. This 8-week course starts with the basics of grammar and sentence construction. It quickly advances to thesis development and essay writing with tools for creating outlines and editing your work. Dr. Maggie Sokolik of the College Writing Programs at the University of California, Berkeley guides students through this excellent introductory writing course. Participants can get a great deal of practice writing and interact with other students from around the world. Links to optional online textbooks are provided.
What is Writing?
Writing is a skill that involves using text to communicate important ideas. The study of writing equips students with highly transferable experience in academic writing, essay writing, business communication, creative writing, storytelling, and more. From a technical standpoint, writing also helps students cultivate high-level reading comprehension skills and proper grammar knowledge.
Free Online Writing Courses
edX offers a plethora of some of the best free online writing courses for new writers. Students interested in learning how to write or who want to gain basic writing tips for improving their writing have access to a wide range of academic courses available online for beginner level, intermediate, and advanced students.
Whether you are interested in brushing up on the key elements of report writing, essay writing, letter writing, or academic writing, there are a wide range of online courses and writing styles to explore.
Are you a hopeful writer who has always wanted to write a novel? Take creative writing courses and register for How to Write a Novel: Writing the Draft, an intermediate course currently offered by University of British Columbia. Move from outline to draft, and learn how crucial craft lessons from MFA faculty on scene design, dialogue, character development and plot can help you reach your writing goals.
Taking a writing course and developing stronger writing skills isn’t only beneficial to MFA candidates. Strong writing skills can also help prepare you for a career in fundraising. Learn how to increase your impact, innovate, and overcome often static funding through various fundraising and grant writing approaches by registering for Michigan University’s introduction to Grant Writing and Crowdfunding for Public Libraries.
If you simply need to brush up on your writing skills as you pursue other college-level courses you can also focus on the fundamental principles of essay writing through UC Berkeley’s intro to How to Write an Essay.
Jobs in Writing
Clear writing and communication skills are highly sought in a range of industries, including advertising, publishing, law, development work, and web design, making a writing background attractive to many potential employers
Taking an online writing courses will give students the communication skills they need in a career as a technical writer, digital copyeditor, or even author. With creative writing degrees, online writers workshops, and certificates from online writing classes or programs, students from all backgrounds get exposure to different kinds of writing, such as descriptive writing, and learn to give and receive critical feedback.
Currently, a search of “writing jobs” yields over 300,000 results for open positions ranging from Content Writer for online resources to a role as Elementary Reading and Writing Tutor, for those more interested in getting into the education field. Of those writing roles over 100,000 offer competitive salaries of $50,000 a year or more. Whether you’re interested writing a bestseller or giving yourself a competitive advantage in another field, strong writing skills are in high demand, making writing a highly marketable skill.
Careers in Writing
Good writing has the power to transport us to different worlds, convey history, and help us to understand different cultures. Find your voice and gain skills applicable to myriad future career goals by signing up for an edX writing course today!
Discover your current English level by taking our free online testDiscover your level
Here you can find activities to practise your writing skills. You can improve your writing by understanding model texts and how they’re structured.
The self-study lessons in this section are written and organised according to the levels of the Common European Framework of Reference for languages (CEFR). There are different types of model texts, with writing tips and interactive exercises that practise the writing skills you need to do well in your studies, to get ahead at work and to communicate in English in your free time.
Take our free online English test to find out which level to choose. Select your level, from beginner (CEFR level A1) to advanced (CEFR level C1), and improve your writing skills at your own speed, whenever it’s convenient for you.
Choose your level to practise your writing
Writing practice to help you write short, simple texts about known topics and fill in forms. Texts include messages, emails and forms.
Writing practice to help you write short, simple texts, notes and messages. Texts include messages, forum posts, personal profiles, forms and emails.
Writing practice to help you write simple connected text on familiar topics that are of personal interest. Texts include forum posts, reviews, messages, short essays and emails.
Writing practice to help you write clear, detailed text on a wide range of topics related to your interests. Texts include essays, reports, reviews, messages and emails.
Writing practice to help you write clear, well-structured texts about complex subjects. Texts include essays, proposals, articles, reports, reviews and emails.
Learn to write in English with confidence
Our online self-study, live classes and one-to-one courses with personal tutors are designed by some of the world’s English teaching experts. They offer a safe and inclusive learning environment to help you improve your English and achieve your ambitions.
Improve your writing skills with our expert English teachers. Join thousands of learners from around the world who have improved their English skills with our online courses.
- Writing Basics 101: Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Writing StructuresThis self-paced, stress-free course is not only for students wanting to improve their basic writing skills, but also for business writers, creative writers and office staff wanting to improve poor, work-related writing skills in order to avoid embarrassing their employers and themselves.2.9 CEUs$90.00
- Creative Writing WorkshopA creative writer makes art just as a painter or sculptor does, but with different tools. Instead of brushes, canvas, and pigments, the writer uses words.1.4 CEUs$90.00
- Typing and Keyboarding 101Typing is no longer a nice skill to have, it’s now a job requirement. If you don’t know how to type well, then this typing and keyboarding course is for you as it provides the step-by-step instructions and practice drills required to help you achieve typing mastery.2.0 CEUs$80.00
- ABCs of English GrammarThis instructor-led, online grammar course provides an easy and efficient review of the grammar and writing skills necessary when taking any high school or college class as well as help with your everyday business and personal correspondence.1.5 CEUs$75.00
- Creative Writing for BeginnersThis creative writing course is designed to teach you the tools and mechanics of creative writing as well as provide exercises, ideas, and strategies for thinking more creatively in your writing.1.4 CEUs$90.00
- Enhance Your Everyday VocabularyIncrease your vocabulary at your own pace with this online vocabulary course. Through interactive lessons and well-structured writing exercises, you will learn interesting and relevant vocabulary words and how to incorporate them in your daily conversations and writings.1.6 CEUs$75.00
- Punctuation and Grammar 101This self-paced course will help you learn what you need to polish your grammar and punctuation skills. Punctuation and Grammar 101 is divided into two subjects which focus on grammar and punctuation topics.1.1 CEUs$80.00
- Spelling 101Spelling 101 will help improve your spelling abilities in American English. This course will teach you how to avoid misspellings by recognizing spelling errors quickly.0.7 CEUs$75.00
- Basic English Speaking SkillsLearn basic English speaking skills in our online course complete with rich text, pictures, and videos to help you learn.0.7 CEUs$75.00
- Writing Effective Emails in the WorkplaceWith clear instructions and plenty of samples and templates, this course gives you the information you need to compose and send professional emails.1.1 CEUs$80.00
- How to Write a Grant ProposalLearn how to write grants that will get funded in our online course.0.9 CEUs$75.00
- Creative Writing 101A self-paced creative writing course covering all the mechanics of creative writing with exercises to unleash your creativity and enhance your writer’s voice and personality.1.9 CEUs$90.00
- Reading Comprehension 101Reading is power. Learning to read faster, more accurately, and with greater comprehension is a skill that you need in today’s competitive world.0.9 CEUs$75.00
- Resume Writing 101One of the most important and intimidating steps in the job search process is writing a solid resume that gets the attention you want and need.0.9 CEUs$75.00
- How to Write a Short StoryStudents will learn how to write original short stories. They will feel comfortable moving from an initial idea and prewriting to plotting and writing and editing/rewriting.1.1 CEUs$90.00
- How to Write Short Stories for ChildrenIn this course we’ll teach you how to write stories for children by looking at the elements that go into an effective children’s story, from initial idea to finished manuscript.1.1 CEUs$90.00
- Vocabulary BuildingBuild a larger vocabulary and work on writing skills. A self-paced course with writing assignments, exercises and quizzes to increase fluency in spoken and written English.0.5 CEUs$75.00
- Poetry Writing 101This poetry course is created for the lover of poetry who wants to learn how to appreciate the art even more. It is also for student poets who want to improve their craft.1.7 CEUs$90.00
- Novel Writing 101By committing to the steps outlined within this course, aspiring (and even experienced) novelists can find the structure they need to create a well-crafted manuscript, one they will be proud to shop to potential agents and publishers.2.2 CEUs