Basic Life Support (BLS) is available in two different training methods – blended learning and classroom training. All BLS course options teach the same AHA science-based skills and result in the same AHA BLS Course Completion Card.Purchase BLS course materials
Is AHA BLS the right course for me?
BLS is geared towards prehospital providers, like EMTs, paramedics, fire fighters, and in-facility hospital providers. Upon successful completion of the course, students receive a course completion card, valid for two years. Please contact your employer to ensure that you are selecting the correct course.
For information about BLS Renewals, contact your Training Center.Learn more about Basic Life Support
|Blended Learning HeartCode® BLS
|Blended Learning (online portion, followed by hands-on skills session) HeartCode BLS uses a variety of eLearning assets such as dramatizations, eSimulations, animations, self-directed learning, and interactive activities to teach students BLS knowledge and skills.HeartCode BLS is the AHA’s BLS blended learning delivery method. Blended learning is a combination of eLearning, in which a student completes part of the course in a self-directed manner, followed by a hands-on skills session.
|Instructor-led, hands-on class format reinforces skills proficiencyThe BLS Instructor-led course teaches both single-rescuer and team basic life support skills for application in both prehospital and in-facility environments, with a focus on High-Quality CPR and team dynamics.
|Complete the online portion + hands-on skills session with an AHA Instructor, or with a voice-assisted manikin (VAM) or Simulation Station
|Contact an AHA Training Center in your area to sign up for an Instructor-led class
|The online portion of HeartCode BLS can be completed in approximately 1 to 2 hours.Time to complete the hands-on skills session varies from 60 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the experience of the student.
|Full BLS Provider Course takes approximately 4.5 hours to complete, including skills practice and skills testingBLS Renewal Course takes approximately 3 hours to complete, including skills practice and testing*Course time based on 1 instructor: 6 students: 2 manikins
|BLS Provider Course Completion Card, valid for two years
|BLS Provider Course Completion Card, valid for two years
|HeartCode BLS Online is WCAG 2.1 AA compliant.
|Contact your Training Center to inquire about their facility’s accommodations.
|HeartCode BLS FAQ (PDF)
|2020 BLS Instructor-Led Training FAQs (PDF)
|Includes in-facility and prehospital tracks; student chooses his/her track before starting the HeartCode BLS Online PortionEnhanced learning experience through eSimulations, life-like animations, video scenarios, and knowledge checks
|Emphasis on high-quality CPR including a team dynamics classroom activityVideo-based course with real world scenarios
|20-3553 HeartCode BLS(link opens in new window)20-1132 BLS Reference Card(link opens in new window)20-3123 BLS Digital Reference Card(link opens in new window)
|20-1102 BLS Provider Manual (includes BLS Reference Card, product 20-1132)(link opens in new window)OR20-3102 BLS Provider Manual eBook (includes Digital BLS Reference Card, product 20-3123)(link opens in new window)20-1132 BLS Reference Card(link opens in new window)20-3123 BLS Digital Reference Card(link opens in new window)
|20-1137 BLS Instructor Package with Digital Video(link opens in new window)20-1104 BLS Instructor Package with DVD Set(link opens in new window)(link opens in new window)OR20-3103 BLS Instructor Manual eBook(link opens in new window)20-1105 BLS Course DVD Set(link opens in new window)20-1414 BLS Course Digital Video(link opens in new window)Additional course materials available for Instructors at AHA Instructor Network
|20-1137 BLS Instructor Package with Digital Video(link opens in new window)20-1104 BLS Instructor Package with DVD Set(link opens in new window)20-1103 BLS Instructor Manual(link opens in new window)OR20-3103 BLS Instructor Manual eBook(link opens in new window)20-1105 BLS Course DVD Set(link opens in new window)20-1414 BLS Course Digital Video(link opens in new window)Additional course materials available for Instructors at AHA Instructor Network
Ready to take a Basic Life Support (BLS) class?
The AHA offers options for how you can purchase BLS. You can take a full classroom course, take a blended learning course (HeartCode BLS + a hands-on skills session training), or purchase additional course materials. Choose from the options below.Sign up for a BLS classroom course near youFind a hands-on skills session for HeartCode BLSPurchase HeartCode BLS or other BLS course materials
- BLS Renewal & RecertificationFind a Class Select a Class Type Online Only First Aid CPR AED BLS/CPR for Healthcare ALS/PALS Babysitting & Child Care Skills Sessions Lifeguarding Swimming + Water Safety Nurse Assistant/CNA Training Nurse Assistant/CNA Testing Instructor Training SELECT A CLASS TYPEBLS recertification courses allow you to update your skills, refresh your memory and extend your certification by two years. Designed for those whose credentials are still valid (or within 30 days of expiring), our abbreviated BLS renewal courses make it possible to avoid a lapse in certification so you can stay certified and stay on the job.How BLS Recertification WorksTo renew your BLS certification, you can register for a review course, which is an abbreviated version of the instructor-led course that allows experienced participants to obtain their certification in an expediated format. To be eligible to participate in the review course, you must possess an American Red Cross Basic Life Support certification (current or expired by no more than 30 days)To find information on the BLS review courses available in your area, browse our find a class page.Certification Made Simple. Fast. Easy. Digital.With BLS recertification classes online and in person, the Red Cross makes maintaining your certification fast, simple and easy. And with Red Cross Digital Certificates you’ll get anytime, anywhere access to your certificates; plus the ability to print, share, and download them wherever and whenever you like. Digital certificates can be viewed, printed or shared online and can be accessed anytime through your Red Cross Account. Each certificate includes a unique ID and a QR code which meets employment requirements and allows employers to easily confirm your certificate is valid. Class participants and employers can visit https://www.redcross.org/take-a-class/digital-certificate and enter the ID found on the digital certificate (or scan the QR code with a standard QR reader using a smart device) to access a copy of the valid certificate with student training information.Click here for instructions on accessing your certificate.
Online Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification for Healthcare Providers
The Basic Life Support course teaches learners to recognize several life-threatening emergencies and to respond appropriately. Training includes instructions for cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and the use of automated external defibrillators (AEDs). The course also covers relief of choking including interventions such as the Heimlich maneuver and back blows/chest thrusts. The BLS course curriculum includes rescue guidelines for infants, children, and adults.
Who should take this course?
The BLS certification course is designed for healthcare professionals including physicians, physician assistants, registered nurses, nurse practitioners, paramedics, pharmacists, physical therapists, dentists, medical students, and other healthcare professionals. The BLS course is also useful for anyone who needs to know how to perform CPR such as athletic trainers, teachers, coaches, lifeguards, and social workers. BLS certification will help give you the confidence to quickly and properly provide high-quality life support when it is needed.
What does this course teach?
- High-quality CPR for adults, children, and infants
- Initiate the chain of survival as soon as a possible problem is identified
- Initiate immediate high-quality chest compressions for any victim
- Provide early defibrillation with an automated external defibrillator (AED) when one is available
- Initiate rescue breathing when respiration is inadequate
- Perform BLS as an effective team member during multi-rescuer CPR
- Relieve a choking episode in adults and infants
Continuing Medical Education Accreditation Available
ACLS, PALS & BLS Certificates
Our ACLS, PALS and BLS certification courses are accredited and offer up to 8 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits.
In support of improving patient healthcare, this activity has been planned and implemented by Advanced Medical Certification, and reviewed and accredited by the Postgraduate Institute for Medicine.
Whether you’re a medical professional or not, online certification and recertification courses have never been easier.
ACLS Certification Course
- Online Advanced Medical Certification and recertification courses can be completed in under an hour and are flexible enough to fit any schedule.
- We provide all the necessary study guides, skills videos, audiobooks, unlimited exam retakes, and a free practice test.
- Get your AMA Category 1 Credits™, instant digital ACLS Provider Card, and a money-back guarantee.
PALS Certification Course
- Go beyond basic life support with Pediatric Advanced Life Support.
- A course specially designed for healthcare providers who want to hone their skills in treating infants and children.
- Both PALS certification and recertification are done 100% online.
- Study at your own pace, get your digital PALS Provider Card instantly.
BLS Certification Course
- Provide medical care for patients with life-threatening illnesses or injuries with Basic Life Support Certification.
- Online BLS certification and recertification are as accepted as the one you’d get in traditional classroom lessons while enabling you to certify in under an hour and in the comfort of your own home.
- BLS Certification Course is worth 4 CME Credits and the BLS Recertification Course 2 CME Credits.
- Take the free practice test and get started today – group rates are available.
Note: Save $99 with our bundle course and get ACLS, PALS, and BLS certificates in a matter of hours.
And that’s not all!
CPR, AED & First Aid Certification
- Provide urgent treatment of life-threatening cardiac emergencies.
- Get proof of certification and your digital CPR Card instantly.
- All training materials included with unlimited free exam retakes.
- Category 2 CME credits available.
- Our certifications and renewal training courses are 100% guaranteed for proof of certification and acceptance.
Take our Course
We offer multiple ways to study for the course, including in-browser modules, PDFs, videos, and audiobooks.3
Take our Exam
You can take the exam as many times as you need to pass.
Not quite finished? You can save your progress, as well.4
Print your card/certificate
After passing your course, you get instant access to your provider card and certificate to download or print.5
Request your printed card*
Need a printed card? No problem! We’ll send you your printed card within 5-7 business days.
*For those that qualify for free or paid shipping.https://www.youtube.com/embed/7nTlIUYFI3AGet Certified Today
Why choose us?
No classroom lessons.
Complete your medical certification (on your time) at your own pace, whenever and wherever you want. You can even save your progress.
We’re accepted by over 98% of health care providers nationwide. If yours doesn’t, we’ll refund your purchase. No questions asked.
If you somehow aren’t satisfied with our course or certification exam, or if your health care company isn’t in the 98% that accept us nationwide, we’ll refund 100% of your purchase. Guaranteed.