Do you want to learn accounting? If so then you’ll probably be interested in the best online course for accounting. Fortunately, I’ve put together a small list of the best online courses for accounting that are highly rated by students as well as educators.
Learn this skill online
Our editors independently research and recommend the best products and services. You can learn more about our independent review process and partners in our advertiser disclosure. We may receive commissions on purchases made from our chosen links.
Online accounting courses can help people gain the accounting knowledge they need to succeed in their careers. Business owners, entrepreneurs, and managers can take online accounting classes to help them better manage their companies. Individuals studying for the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exam can benefit from an online prep course. Even accounting professionals can benefit from online accounting courses to meet continuing professional education (CPE) requirements.
No matter your knowledge level or experience, an online accounting class can help you fill skill gaps and advance in your career. We reviewed over two dozen course offerings based on costs, concepts covered, the time for completion, and more to find the best online accounting classes.
Best Online Accounting Courses in 2022
- Best Overall: Develop Your Finance and Accounting Skills Path by LinkedIn Learning
- Best Budget Option: Introduction to Financial Accounting by Udemy
- Best for Basics: Introduction to Finance and Accounting Specialization from Coursera
- Best for Certification: Online Fundamentals of Accounting Certificate Program by Northwestern University
- Best for CPA Exam Prep: Becker CPA Review
- Best for Continuing Education: Financial Learning Library by Kaplan Financial Education
Best Online Accounting Courses
- Develop Your Finance And Accounting Skills Path By LinkedIn Learning
- Introduction To Financial Accounting By Udemy
- Introduction To Finance And Accounting Specialization From Coursera
- Online Fundamentals Of Accounting Certificate Program By Northwestern University
- Becker CPA Review
- Financial Learning Library By Kaplan Financial Education
- Final Verdict
- Compare Providers
BEST OVERALLDevelop Your Finance and Accounting Skills Path by LinkedIn Learning
Why We Chose It: People with all skill and experience levels can take this comprehensive seven-course online accounting program at an affordable cost.Why We Like It
- Monthly subscription cost is affordable, starting at $19.99
- Good for individuals at all skill and experience levels
What We Don’t Like
- Accounting professionals can’t earn CPE credit for two of the courses
The Develop Your Finance and Accounting Skills Path offered by LinkedIn Learning is a detailed online accounting program designed to help people understand the major types of accounting (tax, financial, and managerial), how accounting is used to make decisions, evaluate the health of a company, interpret financial reports, and communicate financial results. There are no prerequisites to complete this program, and the LinkedIn Learning subscription is affordable, starting at $19.99 per month.
This program includes seven courses that progressively move the learner through the basics of accounting to financial statement analysis and communication. It’s good for business professionals wanting to understand how accounting and finance work, entrepreneurs wanting to manage their own companies’ finances, students wanting to brush up on their skills, and even accounting professionals needing to earn CPE credit.
If you don’t sign up for the monthly subscription, most of the courses included in this program have a one-time cost of $34.99 to $39.99. This program includes about 14 hours of on-demand video content so if you plan to move through the content fairly quickly, a monthly subscription is likely the more affordable option.
In addition to video content, you’ll be given a variety of downloadable resources and if you need assistance, you can interact with your peers and content experts in the course’s Q&A forum.
Once you’ve completed all the courses included in the program, you’ll earn a completion badge for the finance and accounting skills path (on LinkedIn Learning) and a shareable certificate of completion for each course you complete. Plus, you can earn CPE credit from the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy for most of the courses included in this online accounting program. None of the other programs we reviewed included all of this.
LinkedIn is a professional network with about 740 million members located across the globe. The company was launched in 2003 and maintains its headquarters in Sunnyvale, California. In addition to providing a space for professionals to connect online, LinkedIn also offers online training via LinkedIn Learning.
BEST BUDGET OPTIONIntroduction to Financial Accounting by Udemy
Why We Chose It: You don’t have to pay anything to learn the basics of accounting since the Introduction to Financial Accounting course offered by Udemy is completely free.Why We Like It
- No prerequisite knowledge is needed
What We Don’t Like
- Can’t ask the instructor questions
- Only includes an hour of training materials
- No certificate of completion
If you’re looking to learn about financial accounting and you’re on a budget, the free Introduction to Financial Accounting course offered by Udemy is a great option. You’ll get access to over an hour of on-demand video tutorials about accounting. You don’t need to have any prerequisite knowledge, although you’ll find it helpful to know basic high school math.
This online accounting class will teach you key financial accounting terms, how to record basic financial transactions, the difference between profit and cash flows, and how to prepare the three primary financial statements. It contains good accounting information for anyone who wants to know accounting basics without spending any money.
One of the main drawbacks to the Introduction to Financial Accounting course by Udemy is that you won’t earn a certification of completion when you finish the class. Also, there isn’t a Q&A discussion forum provided by Udemy for this online accounting class, and you won’t be able to ask the course instructor any questions.
Udemy was founded in 2010 and is headquartered in San Francisco. The company is one of the largest global marketplaces for online learning, with about 40 million learners and 155,000 course offerings.
BEST FOR BASICSIntroduction to Finance and Accounting Specialization from Coursera
Why We Chose It: You can learn the basics of finance and accounting from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania for the Coursera subscription fee of $79 a month.Why We Like It
- Offered by the Wharton School
- Can learn the basics of finance and accounting for $79 a month
- Access to content experts via a Q&A forum
What We Don’t Like
- Can’t earn CPE credit
- Can take up to five months to complete
The Introduction to Finance and Accounting Specialization from Coursera is a program offered by the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. You don’t need any knowledge or experience to enroll in this online accounting program, but you should be comfortable with high school math.
This accounting program consists of four classes that progressively cover the basics of financial accounting and corporate finance (e.g., accounting standards, financial statement preparation, corporate decision-making). You’ll complete the four Introduction to Finance and Accounting Specialization classes fully online.
You can expect to spend about 40 hours on this program. If you spend two hours a week on the program, you’ll be able to complete it in about five months. Since it’s a self-paced program, the amount of time it takes you to complete it is up to you.
The materials include videos, homework problems, quizzes, downloadable Excel spreadsheets, and more. You’ll get personalized feedback on assignments and will even get to complete a hands-on project at the end of the program. If you have questions, you can post them in the Q&A forum for each class and get a response from your peers or content expert. You’ll earn a certificate of completion when you finish each course, although you won’t earn any CPE credit.
Coursera was founded in 2012 and is headquartered in Mountain View, California. It partners with over 200 well-regarded colleges and universities to provide quality online education to learners worldwide.
BEST FOR CERTIFICATIONOnline Fundamentals of Accounting Certificate Program by Northwestern University
Why We Chose It: Offered by a university with an excellent reputation, anyone with a bachelor’s degree (in any subject) can earn an Online Fundamentals of Accounting Certificate or continue their education and get an Advanced Accounting Certificate online and then sit for the CPA exam.Why We Like It
- Northwestern University has an excellent reputation
- Don’t need to have prior accounting knowledge or experience
- Possible to go on to get an Advanced Accounting Certificate.
What We Don’t Like
- Expensive compared to other programs
- Can take up to a year to complete
- Must have a bachelor’s degree
The Northwestern University School of Professional Studies offers an Online Fundamentals of Accounting Certificate program that’s great for business professionals with a bachelor’s degree who haven’t previously studied accounting. You’ll need to take four online courses to complete this online accounting certificate program and you’ll learn all the basics of accounting from a well-known university.
The Online Fundamentals of Accounting Certificate program is great for managers responsible for department budgets, entrepreneurs, and individuals who think they might want to become an accountant. If you want to continue your studies after you finish this program, you can progress to Northwestern’s Advanced Accounting Certificate program. Depending on the requirements of your state, this second certificate program may be enough coursework to sit for the CPA exam.
You’ll complete the program fully online. The courses are not self-paced, so you’ll need to be prepared to submit coursework when required by your professor. Each class takes an academic quarter (about three months) to complete. If you take one class every quarter, you can expect to complete the Online Fundamentals of Accounting Certificate program in about a year.
Since you’ll earn a post-baccalaureate certificate from a university, this program costs more than most of the other online accounting classes we reviewed. The tuition for this program is $2,054, plus you’ll need to pay a technology fee of $125 for each of the four classes. Financial aid isn’t available, so you’ll need to make sure you can pay for the program yourself or find a form of financial assistance.
One of Northwestern University’s School of Professional Studies’ goals is to be a national leader in delivering learning opportunities to professionals in an innovative way. Northwestern got its start in 1850 and is headquartered in Chicago.
BEST FOR CPA EXAM PREPBecker CPA Review
Why We Chose It: Not only will you get access to comprehensive CPA exam materials, but you can choose the payment plan and program options that best fit your learning needs. Additionally, the class uses adaptive learning technology that modifies the coursework to your learning needs.Why We Like It
- Excellent reputation
- Flexible monthly payment plans with no interest
- Adaptive learning technology modifies the course materials to your learning needs
What We Don’t Like
- Lowest-cost plan doesn’t come with unlimited access to the materials
If you’re an accountant who hasn’t yet taken the CPA exam or a recent college graduate with an accounting degree, the Becker CPA Review program offers the best online accounting class for CPA exam prep. Not only does Becker have an excellent reputation, but you can choose from three different learning plans with adaptive learning technology that customizes the coursework to your learning needs. You can even get tutoring and there are live classroom options.
Regardless of the plan you choose, you’ll get access to 31 hours of recorded lectures, nearly 1,500 multiple choice questions, 100 videos to help you master tasks and accounting skills, three simulated exams similar to what you’ll experience when you take the real CPA exam, one-on-one support from academic support staff members, and more.
Unlike printed materials that become quickly out-of-date with changes to the CPA exam, the materials you’ll get from Becker are always kept in-sync with the CPA exam. If you want more one-on-one support or the ability to attend synchronous classes online to interact with your teacher, you can upgrade to a higher-level plan, so you’re able to get this type of support.
Although the tuition costs of $2,399 to $3,499 are expensive, Becker has payment plans that make it easier to pay. All of the plans come with a flexible monthly payment option. Payment plans range from six to 24 months and are completely interest-free. You will, however, be required to pay a non-refundable processing fee ranging from $49 to $99.
Becker Professional Education was founded in 1957 and is headquartered in Chicago. The company is well-regarded for its CPA exam preparation courses and its CPE program.
BEST FOR CONTINUING EDUCATIONFinancial Learning Library by Kaplan Financial Education
Why We Chose It: Accounting professionals can access 375 online CPE courses covering a wide variety of topics for an annual fee of $499.Why We Like It
- Courses available for entry-level to senior-level professionals in a variety of fields
- Courses include a wide variety of accounting topics
What We Don’t Like
- No access to course instructors to ask questions.
- Expensive if you don’t plan to take a lot of CPE classes each year
The Financial Learning Library by Kaplan Financial Education offers the best online accounting classes for accounting professionals (e.g., certified public accountants, certified management accountants, certified internal auditors, certified fraud examiners) who need to earn CPE credits on a routine basis. This is because you’ll get access to 375 on-demand online CPE courses for an annual cost of $499.
Although a fee of $499 may seem like a lot of money at first glance, it can be less expensive than paying for classes one at a time. It’s not unusual for accountants to need 30 to 40 CPE credits per year, with this varying by state and the type of certification held (e.g., CPA or CMA).12 Many online accounting courses cost between $25 to $50 per CPE credit. If you’re buying the courses one at a time, you could end up spending $750 to $2,000 a year on your required CPE coursework.
Kaplan’s courses included in the Financial Learning Library cover a wide variety of topics, including financial accounting, auditing, ethics, finance, technology, taxes, and more. This makes it easy for accounting professionals to choose courses covering the topics they need to meet their CPE requirements. It can also be a great way to stay up-to-date on the industry’s changes and fill any skill gaps.
The amount of time it will take you to complete each course will vary from less than an hour to a couple of hours or more. You won’t have access to course instructors to ask questions, nor is there a Q&A forum. If you prefer one-on-one guidance and support, Kaplan offers various other CPE courses for accountants, including other online programs, webinars, and conferences.
Kaplan Financial Education was founded in 1970 and is headquartered in La Crosse, Wisconsin.
Lots of different types of people can benefit from online accounting classes. With an online accounting course, you can gain the skills and knowledge you need to advance in your career from the comfort of your own home. Whether you’re an entrepreneur who wants to learn more about accounting so you can start a business, a recent college grad who needs to pass the CPA exam, or accounting professional needing CPE credits, there’s an online option for you.
We selected the Develop Your Finance and Accounting Skills Path offered by LinkedIn Learning as offering the best overall online accounting classes. Its curriculum is good for people with various backgrounds and skill sets, including beginners and accounting professionals alike. The program progressively moves through all the basics, and accounting professionals can even earn CPE credit. Plus, a LinkedIn Learning subscription costs as little as $19.99 a month.
|WHAT IT’S BEST FOR
|WHY WE PICKED IT
|Develop Your Finance and Accounting Skills Path by LinkedIn Learning
|You’ll learn the basics of accounting at a low monthly cost, and you don’t need to know anything about business to get started.
|As low as $19.99 a month
|Introduction to Financial Accounting by Udemy
|Best Budget Option
|You can learn the basics of accounting in an hour at absolutely no cost and without prerequisite business knowledge.
|Introduction to Finance and Accounting Specialization from Coursera
|Best for Basics
|You can learn all the basics of accounting in this four-course series from the highly regarded Wharton School.
|$79 a month
|Online Fundamentals of Accounting Certificate Program by Northwestern University
|Best for Certification
|If you have a bachelor’s degree in any subject, you can get a certificate in accounting from a well-regarded school.
|$2,179 for each of the four required courses
|Becker CPA Review
|Best for CPA Exam Prep
|Your study materials will always stay up-to-date with the CPA exam and adapt to your learning needs.
|$2,399 to $3,499
|Financial Learning Library by Kaplan Financial Education
|Best for Continuing Education
|You can get access to 375 different online classes to meet your ongoing CPE needs.
What Is an Online Accounting Class?
An online accounting class allows you to learn about accounting from the comfort of your own home. If you sign up for an online accounting class, you won’t have to show up for class at a specified time. Instead, you’ll be able to complete the work when it’s most convenient for you.
Many online accounting classes are self-paced, meaning you can complete the course in as much or as little time as you want. However, if you’re enrolled in a formal degree or certificate program with a university, you’ll need to complete the materials in a specified time frame (e.g., by specific due dates and within a specific quarter or semester).
Who Should Take an Online Accounting Class?
Anyone who wants to learn about accounting without attending an in-person class should think about taking an online accounting class. Online accounting classes can be a great option for:
- Students who need additional support. If you’re an accounting student and don’t fully grasp the concepts covered in your accounting or business classes, you might benefit from an online accounting class. For example, if you signed up for intermediate accounting but you don’t remember what you learned in financial accounting, you may be able to fill in the gaps with a one- to two-hour online accounting course.
- Entrepreneurs or small business owners. If you own a small business or plan to create a startup, an online accounting class can teach you what you need to know to manage your finances and increase your odds of business success.
- Managers who are responsible for budgets. Many managers don’t have business or accounting experience. If you’re a manager and are responsible for your department’s budget, an online accounting class can be a great way to fill any skill gaps.
- Individuals preparing for the CPA exam. If you’re a recent college graduate or an accounting professional who hasn’t yet taken the CPA exam, an online accounting class can help get you ready. There are many online accounting classes specifically focused on CPA exam prep.
- Accounting professionals needing CPE credit. Many accounting professionals are required to earn CPE credits each year to maintain their certifications, such as certified public accountants (CPAs), certified management accountants (CMAs), certified internal auditors (CIAs), certified fraud examiners (CFEs), and more. Online accounting classes make it easy to meet these requirements at a time and place that’s good for you.
How Much Do Online Accounting Classes Cost?
Online accounting classes range from free to a monthly cost of $79. However, if you want to earn an online accounting degree or certificate, you can expect to pay a fee of $1,000 to $2,000 or more per course. For accounting professionals who want to earn CPE credit, you may pay as little as $25 to earn a single credit or you could pay up to $500 if you want access to a robust library of online accounting courses.
Can I Learn Accounting Without Taking a Class?
It is possible to learn accounting without taking a class. For example, you might be able to learn some of the basics of accounting via on-the-job training or by reading books. The former could happen if you’re promoted into an accounting role based on your work performance. However, you’ll only learn as much as you’re exposed to at work or in the books you choose to read. This means it could take you a long time to get proficient.
If you want to learn accounting, a better option is to take accounting classes. There are many different online accounting classes from which you can choose. You can take these classes on a stand-alone basis or as a part of a formal degree or certificate program. By taking accounting classes, you’ll be able to learn the materials much quicker.
Can I Get a Degree in Accounting Online?
Many colleges and universities offer online accounting degree programs. These programs range from accounting certificate programs up to doctorate degrees. Before deciding which program to choose, you should consider your career goals and how quickly you want to finish the program.
If you don’t yet have a degree, you can get an online bachelor’s degree in accounting. You can also get an online master’s degree in accounting. These are good options for people who want to become professional accountants. You can expect these online accounting degree programs to take two to four years to complete.
If you already have a bachelor’s degree, there are online accounting certificate programs that will teach you the basics of accounting in a year or less, even if you have no prior accounting knowledge. This can be a great option for business owners, entrepreneurs, and managers who want to know more about accounting so they can better manage their businesses. You can complete most online accounting certificate programs in a year or less.
There are even advanced accounting certificate programs for those with prior accounting coursework that can help you get the classes you need to qualify for the CPA exam. Even if you have a bachelor’s degree in accounting, some states require additional advanced accounting coursework. An advanced online accounting certificate program can be a great way to fill those requirements without getting a master’s degree in business or accounting.
How Is Accounting Different From Bookkeeping?
Bookkeeping is focused on the day-to-day work related to recording the financial transactions of a business. This includes purchases the company makes, sales the company records, and payments it makes to others (e.g., its employees).
Although accounting includes bookkeeping tasks, it is more focused on decision-making. For example, preparing financial statements that investors, lenders, and owners can use to make decisions about the company’s performance. The ultimate goal of accounting is to provide information people can use to make decisions about the company’s performance.
How We Chose the Best Online Accounting Classes
We reviewed a couple of dozen online accounting classes when looking for the best. In our search for the best, we considered how much it costs, what’s included in the curriculum, how long you’ll spend on the class, who each class is right for, and if you can contact the instructor. Also, we looked into the reputation of the online accounting class provider.
All of our picks offered affordable options for a wide variety of professions, learning needs, and budgets.
Top 10 Accounting Certifications, Courses, Classes & Trainings Online in 2022
Are you looking for an accounting certification or course to become a certified management or public accountant? Or seeking to enhance your accounting skills for career advancement? Here’s a list of great, free online accounting courses, certifications and trainings to meet your goals.
January 3, 2022, 3:39 am17.5kViews
- 1. Introduction to Financial Accounting by Wharton, University of Pennsylvania (Coursera)
- 2. Financial Accounting Fundamentals by University of Virginia (Coursera)
- 3. Fundamentals of Accounting Specialization by University of Illinois (Coursera)
- 4. MicroMasters® Program in Accounting by Indiana University (edX)
- 5. Introduction to Finance, Accounting, Modeling and Valuation (Udemy)
- 6. Financial Accounting by Brigham Young University (Udemy)
- 7. Accounting: Principles of Financial Accounting by IESE Business School (Coursera)
- 8. MicroMasters® Program in Accounting and Financial Management by UMGC and USMx (edX)
- 9. Financial Accounting Part 1 & Part 2 (LinkedIn Learning – Lynda)
- 10. Accounting: From Beginner to Advanced (Udemy)
Financial Accounting is the backbone of any business. Businesses need individuals with accounting skills to track finances in numerous forms, like credit, debit, payroll, tax filing etc. No surprise therefore, that accounting skills are always in high demand. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics has predicted a growth of 10% for accountant and auditor job market over 2016 to 2026 ten year period, whereas the overall job growth projection figure for all professions is 7% over the same time period. So the outlook for accounting profession seems pretty good.
Acquiring and maintaining accounting skills may seem like a daunting task, but internet has revolutionized learning and made it much simpler. There are several online accounting certificate courses and programs that offer a great and flexible alternative to traditional classroom programs. These online accounting courses allow you to learn foundational skills essential to your career, download course lectures, work on assignments, take exams, even participate with fellow students in virtual discussions, all at your own schedule.
If you’re not sure where to begin your online accounting classes and training, consider the list below that comprises of best accounting courses, certifications, classes and training resources available online. This list includes both free and paid courses that can be taken at your own pace and time. So whether you are an entrepreneur seeking personal accounting skills or beginner looking to enter the accounting job market or an established accounting professional seeking an accounting certification to progress your career, there is a relevant accounting online course for you in this list.
This Financial Accounting course is part of the Business Foundations Specialization offered by the prestigious Wharton business school, University of Pennsylvania. This course will help you master the technical skills needed to analyze financial statements and disclosures for use in financial analysis, and learn how accounting standards and managerial incentives affect the financial reporting process. Upon completion of this accounting class, you’ll be able to read the three most common financial statements: the income statement, balance sheet, and statement of cash flows.
The course is taught by 14 year veteran of Wharton School and former professor at Harvard Business School, Brian J Bushee. Prof. Bushee is the most highly regarded faculty member at Wharton and is loved by students for his engaging, enthusiastic and fun style of teaching. He has structured the course content in a perfect way starting simple with the Balance Sheet, Debits & Credits, and Journal Entries, and then builds on this as he goes on to explain topics like Bonds, Deferred Taxes and Stock-Based Compensation amongst other things. All these are explained through a case of a start-up company. Prof Bushee is very helpful to the students in the forums and loves teaching his subject which is evident in the way he presents the course making it fun to learn accounting.
This is a beginner level course and is designed for students with no background in accounting. Very basic math knowledge is required. It is one of the best resources to learn accounting online.
- Learn debit-credit bookkeeping and do lots of practice in translating transactions into debits and credits
- Understand Accrual Accounting and how it affects the recognition of the Income Statement accounts: Revenues and Expenses
- Learn how to prepare and analyze statement of cash flows
- Understand the difference between Earnings, Cash from Operations, EBITDA, and Free Cash Flow using example of a start up company
- Two week worth of optional content on Ratio Analysis and Financial Statement Analysis
- Learn through real-world examples and applications
- Get access to all videos, quizzes, programming assignments and peer review assignments upon enrolling for a certificate
- Option to explore the course content without purchasing with limited access to certain assignments
Duration : 4 weeks, 5-6 hours per week
Rating : 4.7
Sign up Here
This Financial Accounting Fundamentals Course is offered by University of Virginia, a premier institute in higher education. It teaches the tools needed to understand the fundamentals of financial accounting. The students learn to prepare the 3 most commonly used financial statements – the Balance Sheet, the Income Statement, and the Statement of Cash Flows. Additionally, students learn how to record transactions in these statements and how to read & analyze these statements in order to draw conclusions about a company’s financial health.
The course is taught by Luann J. Lynch, Professor of Business Administration at University of Virginia. She is herself an MBA from Duke University and a Ph.D. in accounting from University of North Carolina. Prof. Lynch is a recipient of several awards and recognitions for her outstanding teaching and research. Her research work has been published in several leading accounting and finance journals. She is much focussed and has designed the course in a perfect way. Not only does she explain the concepts thoroughly and systematically, but gives ample opportunities to practice what is taught through mini quizzes and assignments.
This is one of the best online accounting certification to get started with accounting fundamentals, with no prior background in accounting needed. It is also perfect for experienced or professional individuals who want a refresher course in accounting fundamentals.
- Learn to use journal entries to record transactions
- Understand how to prepare and use t-accounts to summarize transactions recorded during an accounting period
- Understand how the 3 financial statements (balance sheet, income statement and statement of cash flows) fit together in the financial scheme of a company
- Prepare the financial statements based on transactions recorded during an accounting period
- The forums present ample opportunity for discussion and participation
- Learn through real-world examples like, PepsiCo’s Annual Report as an example of reporting for a publicly traded U.S. company
Duration : 5 weeks, 2-3 hours per week
Rating : 4.8
Sign up Here
This Accounting Specialization covers the fundamentals of both financial accounting and managerial accounting. Financial accounting revolves around creating and analysing reports and financial statements of a company that help to gauze its financial position and operations. While Managerial accounting focuses on analytical information, tools and techniques that managers need to make the right business decisions. This accounting training takes care of both of these.
In this specialization, students will learn to create, interpret and analyze the financial statements – balance sheet, income sheet and cash flows statement. They will also learn to draw conclusions about a company’s financial position from such statements. Additionally they will be exposed to different types of decision-useful accounting information, specifically its nature, purpose and importance and taught how to employ analytical tools and techniques to use this information for making common business decisions.
There are 5 courses in this program that culminate with a Capstone project set in the context of a realistic small-business enterprise. Students will need to apply all the principles of accounting learnt in the previous courses from creating a business plan, to forecasts and budgets, and anticipated information needs for decisions making by owner and manager, employees, and external parties such as future shareholders, creditors, and other constituents. The courses are as below:
- Understanding Financial Statements: Company Position
- Understanding Financial Statements: Company Performance
- Accounting for Business Decision Making: Measurement and Operational Decisions
- Accounting for Business Decision Making: Strategy Assessment and Control
- Fundamentals of Accounting Capstone
- Learn from the renowned professors of University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Explain the broader purpose of financial statements and the role of accounting in producing the financial statements
- Learn to read and interpret real-world balance sheets and income statements
- Learn to create, organize, and communicate cost information to best suit common operational decisions
- Learn to use accounting information to manage products, control costs, and leverage other drivers of operational success
- Learn about different types of controls, including process controls, budgets, and performance measurement and evaluation tools and techniques
- Beginner friendly specialization with no requirement of any background knowledge of accounting
- Enrol in the specialization for free for 7 days
Duration : 5-7 months, 3-4 hours per week
Rating : 4.6
Sign up Here
This MicroMasters Program in Accounting is offered by the top-ranked Kelley School of Business at Indiana University. The Kelley School of Business is currently ranked #7 for graduate accounting programs by Public Accounting Report. The curriculum of this Micromasters program has been designed by their renowned accounting faculty with the goal to substantially enhance the learners’ understanding of accounting. The 3 graduate level courses included in the program cover 3 most fundamental areas of accounting – financial accounting, managerial accounting, and income taxes. Students are introduced to the following in these courses:
- Financial Reporting – How do firms measure and report financial position and financial performance in a set of financial statements (balance sheets, income statements, and statements of cash flows)?
- Managerial Accounting and Corporate Control – How do firms make critical strategic decisions using accounting information?
- Taxes and Decision Making – How do income taxes impact firms, their strategies, capital structure, and after-tax profits?
This program is for individuals making a beginning in/transitioning to accounting career or those who want to enhance their understanding of accounting with respect to investing, banking, and corporate management. Learners may be able to strengthen their capabilities in a variety of roles, including certified public accountant (CPA), accounting manager, auditor, or management accountant.
Completing this accounting training program will not only be valuable as a standalone credential, but will also count toward the Kelley School of Business’s full Master’s degree in Accounting. Students who earn the MicroMasters program certificate are eligible to apply to the MS in Accounting with no need to take the GMAT or GRE test. They earn nine credits to apply to the 30-credit Master’s degree.
- Learn from the award-winning accounting faculty at Kelley School of Business
- Earn a strong foundation in financial reporting concepts and methods, and use your skills to prepare and analyze financial statements
- Learn the key elements of financial reporting, such as revenues, expenses, gains and losses, net income, assets, liabilities, and owners’ equity
- Discover how to prepare and analyze accounting information to make complex business decisions
- Understand the legal, conceptual, and integrative aspects of U.S. federal income taxation
- Learn about accounting standards, including U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (U.S. GAAP) and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- Understand how firms develop and use key internal information such as product costs, cost allocations, customer profitability, budgets, and planning to execute and control firm strategy
Duration : 9 months, 8-12 hours per week
Rating : 4.6
Sign up Here
This course by Chris Haroun is #1 Best Selling Accounting Course on Udemy. It will help you understand accounting, finance, financial modeling and valuation from scratch. You will learn to create, analyze and forecast an income statement, balance sheet and cash flow statement. You will also understand how to value companies using several different valuation methodologies so you can come up with target prices for the companies that you are analyzing. Upon completing this accounting class, you will be in a position to analyze financial statements using many different financial ratios/formulas.
The course is full of exercises to complete that help students understand the concepts and apply them too. Apart from video lectures, there are several reading articles and downloadable resources.
Chris Haroun is the best selling business teacher on Udemy. He is an award winning business school professor, holds MBA degree in finance from Columbia University, has experience in real world from Goldman Sachs to Hedge funds, to venture capital and consulting firms. He has authored several popular business books. He teaches based on his real life practical experience and uses a visualization approach that turns complex topics simple and easy to understand making learning accounting a fun process. He has so far taught over 550,000 students on Udemy alone and earned huge 5-start ratings and reviews from students.
- All concepts are covered from scratch, so no accounting or finance experience needed. Only basic understanding of using Excel is required.
- Understand and use modeling best practices so you can create financial models
- Learn to create financial models (projecting the future) for income statement, balance sheet and cash flow statement
- Learn how to use P/R and P/E in order to pick target prices
- Learn multiple valuation methodologies, including EV/Sales, EV/EBITDA, P/B, EV/FCF, etc
- Understand how to analyze financial statements using profitability ratios and debt and inventory formulas
- Analyze and compare companies using the following formulas: Price/Earnings, PEG (P/E / Growth), Price/Revenue, EV/EBITDA, EV/Sales, Price/Free Cash Flow and Price/Book
- An extremely in depth professional accounting, finance, modeling and valuation analysis of LinkedIn using the accounting and finance methodologies used in this course
Duration : 4.5 hours on-demand video
Rating : 4.5
Sign up Here
This Course is first in the Introduction to Accounting Course Series, developed and used by the #1 accounting university in the world, Brigham Young University (Rated by the London Financial Times 2013). This course is recommended by HARVARD to its incoming MBA students who have not had an introductory course in accounting. It has also been highlighted and discussed in Wired Magazine, Gigaom, & New York Times. No doubt, the course has received rave reviews from over 30,000 students on campuses. Now it is available on Udemy for online learners and has quickly become the highest rated course.
The course instructor Norm Nemrow promises to teach the fundamentals of Financial Accounting better and more effectively than any other available accounting course. Professor Norm Nemrow, is a self-made millionaire, awarded by the President of the United States for his excellence in teaching and recognised as ‘teacher of the year’ at BYU every year the award was offered.
In this accountant course, you will learn how to finance a business, the different financial statements, and legal forms of businesses. You will also learn in detail about debits and credits and about creating and analysing financial statements. The course is very well structured. The lectures cover each topic thoroughly and are followed by quizzes and problem sets to test learners’ grasp of the material taught.
This introductory accounting course is very well suited for entrepreneurs or those who intend to start their own business or existing professionals trying to advance in their careers. It will help them become a more effective decision maker in business.
- Only elementary math knowledge needed to take this course. No accounting experience required.
- Learn how to maximize your business profits by understanding the Accounting Cycle
- Learn about the vital Income statement and the famed accounting equation
- Learn Accrual Accounting vs Cash accounting and know the advantages of each for your business
- Learn about Sales Revenue and Inventory (LIFO, FIFO, Average Cost)
- Learn about Long-Term Assets, Stocks, Bonds, and Dividends
- Learn how to protect your business so you don’t get ripped off with Internal Controls
- Learn how to strategically invest in a company’s stock through analyzing their financial statements
Duration : 24.5 hours on-demand video
Rating : 4.6
Sign up Here
This course is part of the Foundations of Management Specialization offered by IESE Business School, University of Navarra. It teaches students the accounting language’s essentials. So whether they run their own business, or work as a manager or are just starting career, this course helps them understand financial information and be able to interact with accountants, controllers, and financial managers. By the end of the course students are able to prepare, read and interpret financial statements for business diagnosis and decision-making.
There are 4 modules in the course:
- Introduction to Accounting – The Balance Sheet
- The Income Statement
- The Cash Flow Statement
- Accrual Accounting
The instructor Marc Badia, is a professor of accounting at IESE Business School. He earned his Ph.D. in Financial Accounting with distinction from Columbia University (New York) and his MBA from IESE Business School. Marc uses a lot of real-world examples to make the subject relatable.
This course is specifically designed for individuals with no prior knowledge of accounting. So any beginner can enrol in the course.
- Gain insights into the essence of accounting with practical real-world cases
- Learn to be able to recognize a broader range of transactions on the balance sheet
- Understand the difference between liquidity and profitability and become familiar with T-accounts
- Learn to read and interpret balance sheets, income statements and cash flow reports and their purposes
- Understand the difference between accrual and cash accounting
- Learn about accrual accounting for measuring performance
- Get a Verified Certificate upon completion of the course
- Option to enrol for free and pay for Certificate later
Duration : 4 weeks, 2-4 hours per week
Rating : 4.8
Sign up Here
This Micromasters program in Accounting and Financial Management is offered by the University of Maryland Global Campus and University System of Maryland. It is ideal for mid-career professionals who are looking to deepen their skill set and advance towards an organisational leadership position. The curriculum of this program is designed to impart skills that are needed to make high-level decisions that impact an organization’s operations and financial future. Students gain hands-on experience on reporting and analyzing financial transactions of corporations. They also learn to assess risks and returns of alternative investments by analyzing SEC 10-K reports of Fortune 500 companies.
There are 4 courses that cover the following key areas:
- Financial Decision Making – Learn how corporate leaders make effective decisions to maximize profitability and achieve strategic organizational goals
- Financial Accounting for Corporations – Learn to prepare, analyze, and compare financial statements for publically traded U.S. corporations
- Financial Management in Organisations – Gain the skills necessary to effectively manage a corporation’s finances. Learn to use discounted cash flow, rate-of-return analyses and other financial management tools to evaluate projects, investments, and financial instruments
- Long-Term Financial Management – Learn how financial managers respond to the long-term financial needs of a corporation and the roles of capital markets
To earn the MicroMasters Program Certificate, students need to complete all 4 courses with a verified certificate in each course. This program also offers learners a pathway to the advanced accounting degree – Master of Science in Accounting and Financial Management (MSAF) at UMGC. It counts as 12 credits towards the full masters degree.
- Learn from the renowned accounting faculty members of University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC), University System of Maryland (USMx)
- Learn to manage an organization’s financial operations; including revenues, expenses, assets, liabilities, and equity
- Understand how to perform financial analyses and modelling
- Evaluate alternative investments by using time value of money calculations, and understanding their effect on cash flow
- Use case studies of real companies facing financial challenges to analyze situations, assess risks, and propose courses of action
- Contribute to strategic management decision-making and operational problem-solving
Duration : 8 months, 8-10 hours per week
Rating : 4.6
Sign up Here
This financial accounting course is offered by professors of Brigham Young University, Jim Stice and Kay Stice in 2 parts. They have taught accounting for a combined total of over 70 years and have designed this accounting training course to give business professionals – including managers, analysts, and entrepreneurs – the confidence they need to use financial data to drive strategic decision-making.
In Part 1, Jim and Kay teach financial statements, the balance sheet, the income statement, and the statement of cash flows using real world examples. So students get to see the actual financial reports of Microsoft, Walmart, and others. They make the students understand the difference between net income and cash flow and why the credits and debits system is so important to everyday accounting. They help explore assets and liabilities, interpret financial statements, evaluate and adjust journal entries, and prepare own financial statements. This accounting course is an MBA-level course, layered with case studies and insights that help learners bridge the gap between the academics of accounting and its real-world application.
In Part 2, Jim and Kay take a deeper dive into the world of financial accounting. They introduce students to the methods of financial ratio analysis to help identify the company’s strengths and weaknesses, areas of improvement and risk, all through the financial statements of the company. They also discuss cash flow analysis, forecasting financial statements, business valuation, and more.
- Comprehensive and self-contained training that explains the foundations of accounting effectively and builds on them with real world examples
- Introductory course with no prior knowledge of accounting necessary
- Learn about business valuation and two basic valuation approaches – valuation using multiples and valuation using discounted cash flow analysis
- Capstone example using several different models to estimate the value of McDonalds
This accounting course is a best seller that covers everything from beginner to advanced accounting skills. You will learn everything about debits and credits, accounting cycle, accounting regulations, how to analyse business transactions, how to prepare financial statements, how to prepare Bank Reconciliation etc. You will also learn about bonds, stocks, dividends, short-term and long-term investments etc.
The instructor of this course Stefan Ignatovski, Ph.D., is an Accounting Professor, Investor and Entrepreneur who teaches at multiple colleges in the US, including University of Washington. Stefan has started and invested in several start-up companies and even authored the book “What College Didn’t Teach You. Stefan adopts a very unique style of teaching the course. There are short animated videos that are easy to understand and make the subject exciting. Also there are great exercises at the end of each section to reinforce what is taught and problem solving videos to help apply the concepts learned. The problems and exercises have appropriate explanations as well.
This course is very well suited for business owners, students, existing accountants, bookkeepers, individuals wishing to enter accounting job market or even CPA exam takers.
- Learn and identify specific items on the Financial Statements (Income Statement, Statement of Retained Earnings, Balance Sheet)
- Learn the process of depreciation, amortization and disposal of assets
- Learn about accounts that cannot be collected
- Learn how to track inventories (FIFO, LIFO, Average Cost)
- Learn how to analyze Financial Statements with the use of Ratios
- Learn about accounting for Accounts Receivable
- Get full lifetime access to video content, reading articles and 24 downloadable resources
Duration : 4 hours on-demand video
Rating : 4.3
Sign up Here