Last Updated on December 26, 2022
Chalmers University of Technology is a Swedish public research university located in Gothenburg that focuses on the areas of technology, natural science and architecture with a sustainable future as its global perspective. It offers over 30 Master’s programs within engineering and architecture, as well as Master’s programs within industrial economics. Chalmers employs more than 5,000 people, making it one of the biggest workplaces in the Gothenburg area. Get more information on Chalmers University of Technology Ranking, chalmers university of technology acceptance rate, chalmers university of technology phd vacancies, chalmers university of technology master’s, chalmers university of technology scholarship, chalmers university of technology ranking 2021 & chalmers university of technology tuition fees
Chalmers University of Technology
Chalmers University of Technology was founded in 1829 through the will of William Chalmers and is consistently ranked among the top 100 Engineering Universities in the world. Over a third of the students enrolled on our Master’s Programmes are international students. Fee-paying students have numerous scholarship opportunities. Chalmers is a highly research-intensive University. The University focuses on eight main research areas, which include Built Environment, Energy, Information and Communication Technology, Life Science, Materials Science, Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Production and Transport. Europe’s biggest ever research initiative, the Graphene Flagship with a budget of 1 billion Euro, is coordinated from the university.
chalmers university of technology acceptance rate
|Gender||Men and Women (coed)|
|International Students||Yes, international applicants are welcome to apply for admission|
|Selection Type||Yes, based on students’ past academic record and grades|
|Admission Office||Chalmers tvärgata 12 Göteborg (31) 772 2500|
Chalmers tekniska högskola
|Chalmers University of Technology|
|Listed study programmes:||40|
Chalmers University of Technology: Statistics
|#311 of 14,160||In the World|
|#119 of 2,789||In Europe|
|#9 of 39||In Sweden|
|#2 of 2||In Goteborg|
|#13 of 1,137||For Renewable Energy Engineering|
|Top100||For 33 other topics|
Globally renowned for its exceptional educational and research standards, Chalmers University of Technology is ranked #121 amongst the top universities across the world by QS. The university is home to over 10,000 students including 2,502 international students. Presently, students from 60+ countries from all over the world are enrolled in Chalmers University of Technology’s programs.
Offering 30+ UG programs and 40+ PG programs through 13 academic departments, Chalmers is committed to offer technologically and scientifically driven education. Admissions to Chalmers University of Technology commences twice a year during spring and autumn seasons. A lenient acceptance rate of around 80% suggests that it is slightly easier to get into Chalmers than other institutions of similar repute. However, it is mandatory for the candidates to fulfil the minimum entry requirements and submit strong letters of recommendation, well written SOPs and English language proficiency test scores such as IELTS and TOEFL.
Chalmers University of Technology Rankings
- # 46 in Europe according to QS World University Rankings
- # 121 in the world as per QS World University Rankings
- #201-250 in World University rankings as per Time Higher Education
- # 81 in the world as per QS Graduate Employability Rankings
- # 5 in the world as per CWTS Leiden Ranking
- # 6-10 globally according to UBI World top 10 university business incubators
|Type of University||Private|
|Number of Campuses||2|
|Number of Departments||13|
|Application Fee||900 SEK|
|Student Faculty Ratio||8:1|
|Percentage of International students||26%|
|English Language tests accepted||IELTS, TOEFL, Pearson PTE|
|Basic tuition fee for international students||SEK 70 000/semester|
|Academic year||Semester based|
Chalmers University of Technology Campus
The Chalmers University of Technology operates in two dynamic campuses namely Campus Lindholmen and Campus Johanneberg. The major highlight of the campuses is the Science Park that is located at a very short distance from them. These innovative and technologically advanced science parks provide a golden opportunity to the students to attain industrial knowledge while studying.
- Located in the city of Johanneberg, Campus Johanneberg is the oldest as well as the largest campus at Chalmers university. Known to be the major hub for conduction of research in various subject areas, the campus houses architecture and engineering programs. The Student Union Building is an attractive feature of this campus
- Located near the city district of Nora Älvstranden, campus lindholmen is home to Maritime Management, Interaction Design and Technologies and Software Engineering and Technologies programs
- Chalmers Centre for Computational Science and Engineering is the ultimate source of hardware resources for the research students at Chalmers.
- HSB Living Lab in Campus Johanneberg is a laboratory as well as an accommodating building for the research students. There are about 30 apartments for the students as well as visiting researchers.
- The University has three extensive libraries namely Main Library, Chalmers Learning Commons Kuggen and The Architecture and Civil Engineering Library for the students. Students can access e-books, e- journals, print books, and research data through the libraries in various subject areas.
Chalmers University of Technology Accommodation
- Chalmers University of Technology has a service- Chalmers’ housing guarantee. According to this, the international students are guaranteed an offer of accommodation by the university.
- The university cooperates with two housing agencies in order to provide accommodation to its students- Housing agency SGS Studentbostäde and Housing agency Chalmers Studentbostäde.
- Housing rents vary between 3000-7000 SEK per month including all the utility bills like Wi-Fi, electricity, water and heating.
- Students need to apply directly to these agencies, in the online mode only.
The residential options available to the international students enrolled in Chalmers Johanneberg Campus are:
|Building Name||Monthly rent|
|Gibraltar Guesthouse||5498 SEK|
|Gästhuset (only for guest researchers)||6507-10, 997 SEK|
Students studying in Lindholmen campus are offered apartment style housing options. Details of the apartments and their respective fees are tabulated below:
|Apartment Type||Monthly Rent (SEK)|
|One room and kitchenette, unfurnished||4591 – 5369|
|two rooms and kitchenette, unfurnished||5965 – 6951|
|Three rooms and kitchen, unfurnished||8070 – 8918|
Chalmers University of Technology Programs
Chalmers University offers around 30 bachelor’s programs and 40 PG programs in engineering, science, architecture, and shipping. The undergraduate programs are taught in Swedish whereas the Master’s programs are taught in English language only.
Some of the popular programs offered at the Chalmers University of Technology are stated below, along with their respective fees:
|MSc in Design and construction Project Management||140,000 SEK|
|MSc in algorithms, languages and logic||140,000 SEK|
|MSc in Architecture and Urban Design||190,000 SEK|
|MSc in Biomedical Engineering||140,000 SEK|
|MSc (Nanotechnology)||140,000 SEK|
|MSc in Biotechnology||140 000 SEK|
|International logistics (Bachelor’s degree)||SEK 70 000/semester|
|Bachelors in Economics and production technology||SEK 70 000/semester|
Chalmers University of Technology Admissions
Chalmers University of Technology offers almost 30 undergraduate and 40 postgraduate programs across the fields of engineering, architecture, chemistry, management, mathematics, and technology. International students must be well aware of admission requirements required while applying to Chalmers. Given below are the admission guidelines to be followed by international students:
- Application Portal: University Admissions Portal
- Application Fee: 900 SEK
- Official academic Transcripts
- Letters of recommendation
- Letter of intent/motivation
- A copy of the Passport
- Relevant works period if required
- Swedish language proficiency test scores equivalent to the upper secondary course Swedish 3/B.
- English proficiency test scores
|IELTS Academic||an overall score of 6.5, no section below 5.5|
|PTE Academic||Score of 62 (writing 61)|
Chalmers University of Technology Cost of Attendance
International students must have a proper knowledge about the different kinds of expenses involved to study in Sweden. Apart from the basic tuition fees, there are other expenses like cost of accommodation, meals, entertainment, transport etc. The approximate cost of attendance for international students wishing to get into the Chalmers University of Technology is stated below for reference:
|Course Type||Tuition Fees|
|Programmes at Bachelor’s level||SEK 70 000/semester|
|Programmes at Master’s level||SEK 140,000-190,000 (total)|
|Bachelor’s and Master’s Programmes within the field of Architecture||SEK 95 000 per semester|
The following table represents the approximate monthly expenditure for a student in Gothenburg:
|Type of Expense||Cost (SEK)|
|Accommodation||4000 – 6300|
|Course literature||750 (SEK 3000 per semester)|
|Local travel (30-day period ticket)||795|
|Insurance, Hygiene, other||1000|
Chalmers University of Technology Scholarships
International students at Chalmers University of Technology are entitled to pay the tuition fees. To make their education feasible, the university has several scholarships schemes. The university offers scholarships in the form of tuition fee waivers.
Some of the important scholarships are listed below:
|Scholarship||Eligibility criteria||Scholarship Amount|
|Avancez Scholarships||Academic excellence, stature of home university, priority order of the application for Chalmers Master’s programmes.||75% reduction of the tuition fees (4semesters/2 year programme)|
|Volvo Group Scholarship (For the citizens of India and China)||Academic excellence, stature of home university, priority order of the application for Chalmers Master’s programmes.||Covers 100% of the tuition fees (4 semesters/2 year programme)|
|IPOET (International Programme Office for Education and Training) Scholarships||Academic excellence, stature of home university, priority order of the application for Chalmers Master’s programmes.||75% reduction of the tuition fees (4 semesters/2 year programme)|
Chalmers University of Technology Alumni Network
Chalmers University of Technology has produced many successful students. They are known to excel and achieve great heights in their careers. The university also provides many offers to its alumni. The alumni can avail upto 20% discounts by becoming a part of the organization Fysiken. There, they can choose among a wide range of exercise-training programs, like group exercise, fitness, ball sports, water training, CrossFit, and climbing. They can also get supplementary services such as personal training, physiotherapy, massage and occupational health.
Some of the notable alumni of Chalmers University of Technology are-
- Andjela Kusmuk – Developer of Amazon’s Nordic gaming venture
- (Johan Hedlund – Mentor of Technological Engineers
- Niklas Lundberg- Head of New Markets at Spotify
- Mona Khoshoi -music producer
- Hans Wallstén-inventor of the stent (in the 1980s)
Chalmers University of Technology Placements
Chalmers University is renowned globally for its quality education and effective strategies. The students passing out from the institution are generally placed into respectable fields of profession and earn significantly well.
These are some of the highest paid job areas secured by passed out students of Chalmers University-
|Field of Profession||Annual Average Salary (USD)|
|Sales & Business Development||991278.15|
|IT & Software Development||913699.86|
|Programme & Project Management||560287.65|
|Finance Control & Strategy||474089.55|
|R&D, Pharmaceuticals & Biotech||396511.26|
Chalmers University of Technology is a highly progressive university in the field of research and technology. Ranked at high places along several parameters, this institution is arguably one of the best choices by students. Students aspiring to excel in the fields of architecture, engineering, technology, sciences can choose Chalmers University as their ultimate destination. The high placements of the passed out students from Chalmers is its yet another advantageous factor.