Last Updated on December 24, 2022
|Entity||Not for Profit|
|Academic Calendar||Semester Wise|
|Programs Offered||Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees, Online Courses, Pre-Professional Programs|
|Financial Aid||Scholarships and Bursaries|
Cape Breton University Campus
- The University is housed on one campus located in Sydney, Nova Scotia, in Canada characterized by a sightful landscape, warming and accommodating culture, and a rich tradition.
- The buildings on campus cover over 17,000 square ft comprising of research laboratories, workshops, administrative blocks, reading rooms, and few auditoriums which are centers for all campus events, fests, and competitions
- Notable facilities on campus include the Broadmore theatre, CBU Art Gallery, Cape Breton Health Recreation Complex, the Verschuren Centre, Students, culture and heritage center, Sullivan Fieldhouse, Canada Games Complex, Max Bell Health Centre, etc
- Students are provided with all the necessary facilities and equipment to enable them to have the best of experiences in the school
- CBU hosts special events and community festivals and activities on its campus throughout the year. Some of the festivals hosted on CBU campus are Chinese New Year, the Multiversity Cultural Festival or Diwali, etc
- Also located on campus is the Beaton Institute, a globally recognized research center striving to promote research and learning through innovative academic initiatives
- The campus also houses a central library with thousands of collections of books, research papers, journals, research papers, and novels.
- A wide range of Intramural activities is available for students to participate in. From activities that are primarily on an individual basis to a dual and team basis, students are allowed to choose what they want.
- To provide a healthy working and learning environment for members of the university community, the school operates on a smoke-free policy on campus with a designated place for smoking
- There are affordable and convenient buses in Cape Breton Regional Municipality with a bus stop located close to the residence halls to help transport students from one place to another
Cape Breton University Residence
- Cape Breton University offers on-campus residence to students of the institutions in a serene, conducive, affordable, and secured environment.
- There are four residence halls and apartment on campus namely the MacDonald Residence, Cabot Residence, Alumni Hall and Harriss Hall available exclusively to student occupants and secured with electronic keys to restrict access to non-students
- Family members of the students and visitors on campus can lodge in any of the available hotels in the campus surrounding areas.
- Students are presented with three unique and secure residence options and can also choose from the traditional single dorm room to an apartment-style set-up with roommates
- Amenities available on residence hall include WIFI/high-speed wireless internet connection, laundry facilities, shared lounge spaces, shared living room and kitchen, private and shared washroom facilities, restaurant-style dining, stocked pantry,
- Applicants can apply for on-campus residence after the receipt of the acceptance letter and email address from Cape Breton University
- Application fee of 25 CAD is required from students applying for on-campus residence. After the residence has been granted, students are required to pay a residence confirmation deposit of 700 CAD
- There is no deadline for the residence application. However, students are advised to apply early so that they could get their desired rooms
- Annual prices for accommodation on campus range from 4,300 CAD to 7,180 CAD
- All students living in dorms are required to obtain a full non-refundable meal plan while students on apartments are required to purchase a 300 CAD meal plan
- For students who wish to live off-campus, the school has provided a searchable database for students to help them secure a good, affordable, secured and comfortable accommodation on off-campus apartments
Cape Breton University Programs
- The university offers undergraduate and graduate degrees, online education, and pre-professional courses in the fields of Liberal Arts, Science, Business, and Health.
- It has 4 academic departments namely Schools of Arts & Social Sciences, School of Education & Health, School of Science & Technology, and Shannon School of Business.
- It is known for its unique programs: Bachelor of Health Sciences in Public Health and Master of Business Administration in Community Economic Development program.
Cape Breton University Application Process
International students are advised to check their country-specific requirements along with course-specific requirements before applying for Cape Breton University admissions.
Application Portal: University’s Official Website
Application Fee: 75 CAD
- Spring/Summer: February 15th, 2021
- Fall: June 15th, 2021
- Winter: October 15th, 2021
Undergraduate Admissions Requirements at Cape Breton University
International students willing to enroll in undergraduate programs are advised to go through country-specific requirements alongside course-specific requirements.
- Supplementary Application
- High School Transcripts with a minimum score of 65%.
- Essay in 500 words
- Academic as well non-academic References
- CASPer test for Nursing program
Admission requirements for some of the undergraduate programs are tabulated below:
|Bachelor of Business Administration||High School Transcripts including advanced or academic English and Mathematics;|
3 Additional high school subjects either academic or advanced level
|Bachelor of Education||1st Teachable Area: 30 credits of University coursework|
2nd Teachable Area: 18 credits of University coursework
Intermediate /Secondary Teachable: Including English, Mathematics, Fine Arts, Anthropology and Social Studies, etc.
|Bachelor of Science||High School Transcripts including advanced or academic English and Mathematics;|
2 Science related Subject in high school;
1 Additional subject either academic or advanced level
|Bachelor of Engineering Technology||High School Transcripts including advanced or academic English and Mathematics|
2 Science related Subject in high school
1 Additional subject either academic or advanced level
|Bachelor of Arts and Science in Environment||High School Transcripts including advanced or academic English and Mathematics along with Biology, chemistry, and physics|
2 Additional high school subject either academic or advanced level
Graduate Admissions Requirements at Cape Breton University
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Statement of Intent
- Professional Reference
- Recommendations Letter
- Work Experience
- GMAT/GRE score
Admission requirements for some of the graduate programs are tabulated below:
|Master of Business Administration in Community Economic Development||Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 75%;|
Resume mentioning experience and skills;
Statement of Desire in 500 words;
3 Reference Letters including professional and academic;
GMAT/GRE score; Interview
|1 year or 2 years|
|Master of Education in Sustainability, Creativity, and Innovation||Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 70%;|
Letter of Intent 3. Recommendation Letter;
Research interest in 700-1000 words (thesis option)
|2,3 or 4 years|
|Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Business Analytics||Bachelor’s degree with a Grade B including 2 mathematics and Statistics with B Grade||2 years|
|Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Business Management||Grade B in Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field||2 years|
|Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Supply Chain Management||Grade B in Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field||2 years|
Cape Breton University Cost of Attendance
For international candidates aspiring to study at the university, it is mandatory to have an estimate of the cost of living in Canada to survive comfortably in a foreign land. Below is the estimated tuition and student fees for the Fall/Winter 2019 – 2020 presented-
|Fees||Undergraduate (CAD)||Graduate (CAD)|
|Tuition||8,040||2,012 (for six credit course)|
|International differential fees||8,040||1,608|
|International medical plan||744||744|
Cape Breton University Scholarships
The university offers more than 2.5M in scholarships every year, first-year through to graduation. It also supports students through in-course bursaries and paid work-study programs.
Entrance Scholarships: Students willing to receive entrance scholarships are advised to submit their transcripts and financial need application at the earliest. A minimum of 80% is required in high school to be eligible for an entrance scholarship. The number of entrance scholarships is tabulated below:
|Name||Total Amount (CAD)||Yearly Amount (CAD)|
|W.M. Reid||11,500||4K & 2.5K|
In-Course Scholarships: Students can apply for these scholarships after completing one semester of study at CBU (minimum 9 credits). Students must have an overall average of at least 80%. No separate applications are required.
The university also offers bursaries to students who have financial needs. A bursary form is required along with income tax assessments for eligibility.