Last Updated on January 17, 2023
A key factor in Data Analysis has always been Statistics, which in itself allows for extensive data collection and analysis, subsequently leading to informed and factually correct conclusions. If numbers and quantitative evaluations pique your interests, then B.Sc Statistics may just be the course that you are looking for.
Admissions to B.Sc Statistics, in India, is conducted at the University or College level. In other words, there are no national or state-level entrance exam scores required for admission to one of the B.Sc Statistics colleges in India. However, all aspirants of the course are required to ensure that they have qualified the necessary admission criteria and adhere to the admission guidelines of different colleges.
About B.Sc Statistics
In India, various colleges and universities offer B.Sc Statistics as a three-year undergraduate course. The course has been designed to cater to the requirement of qualified and skilled Data and Statistical Analysts. Being Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) degree, a student of B.Sc Statistics will majorly focus on the science of statistical analysis, which includes the collection of data, its analysis and subsequent interpretation of the analysed data.
Being a subject that deals highly with the topics of Mathematics and Numerical Data, candidates with an aptitude for Mathematics are highly suited for the course. However, candidates will also be required to have the skill of providing conclusive solutions to the questions and data that they have received. Critical and Analytical thinking are some of the core requirements of such a course.
B.Sc Statistics Admissions in India 2021
B.Sc Statistics Admissions in India 202, as specified above, will be conducted as per the admission guidelines of each college offering the course. In India, for any admission process, candidates are to apply to the course once they are assured that they qualify the requisite eligibility criteria for the course. All colleges will specify their requirements for offering admissions which should be satisfied prior to apply, following which, qualifying candidates will be called for the selection processes.
Check out the B.Sc Statistics admission processes in India, as outlined below, such as the eligibility criteria, admissions/selection processes, etc.
B.Sc Statistics Important Dates 2021
Applicants seeking admission to B.Sc Statistics must keep track of important dates. Official dates for B.Sc Statistics admission have not yet been officially released. However, the tentative dates are as follows:-
|Date of Commencement of Online Application||4th Week of August 2021|
|Last Date of Online Submission of Application||1st Week of September 2021|
|Allotment of Seats||TBA|
|Commencement of classes||TBA|
B.Sc Statistics Eligibility Criteria 2021
Eligibility Criteria for BSc Statistics
If you are interested in pursuing BSc statistics, it is essential to abide by all the entry requisites that the universities of abroad demand. Let us now understand what all is required to successfully secure a seat in the top universities in the world offering BSc Statistics-
- Candidates must have completed the formal education of 10 + 2 from a recognised board
- It is necessary for applications to have Mathematics as their core subjects in class 12
- A good score in English language proficiency exams likeIELTS, TOEFL, etc.
- Minimum required score in SAT or ACT exam
On the other hand, if you are interested in pursuing this course in India, them, some universities demand candidates to qualify certain entrance exams such as- GSAT, BHU UET, DSAT, SUAT, etc.
The first order of business for admissions to the course begins with qualifying the requisite B.Sc Statistics eligibility criteria 2021. Each college or university offering the course will specify their own eligibility criteria. Aspiring candidates should ensure that they satisfy the following eligibility for B.Sc Statistics in India.
- Being a Science Degree, candidates who have completed and cleared their class 12 board examination in the stream of science from a recognised board of education will be eligible for the course.
- However, all candidates must have cleared Mathematics, which is compulsory in all Statistics Colleges in India. They must also ensure that they have secured 50% aggregate score in Mathematics along with other compulsory subjects, as specified by the college.
- There are some colleges that will offer admissions if the non-science stream candidates have studied and secured 50% aggregate score or more in Mathematics at 10+2 level.
B.Sc Statistics Admission Process 2021
The admissions to the B.Sc Statistics course in one of the premier colleges for Statistics in India will, in most cases, be based on the merit of the student. In some cases, candidates may be required to attempt an entrance exam, which will be conducted at the University-level. In other words, candidates will either be offered Direct-Admissions or Entrance Test-Based admissions.
Direct-Admission in B.Sc Statistics in India
In the case of Direct Admissions to B.Sc Statistics in India, candidates will be required to ensure that they have qualified the requisite eligibility criteria and then submit their application forms. The admission process will be as follows:
- After the submission of the application form, candidates will be shortlisted on the basis of their merit.
- The merit of the candidates will be considered based on the information provided by them in the application form. The calculation of the candidate’s merit will be done using the scores obtained by them in the qualifying exam, i.e. Class 12 board exam.
- Once shortlisted, candidates will be called for either a Documentation Process and/or a Personal Interview. During the documentation processes, candidates will be required to present valid and authorised documentation for the information provided by them in the application form. An admission panel at each college will check for inconsistencies and shortlist the candidates further.
- Once shortlisted, if applicable, candidates may also be required to sit for a Personal Interview. Their performance in the personal interview will determine their suitability for the course.
Entrance-Based B.Sc Statistics Admissions
Some B.Sc Statistics Colleges in India will conduct an entrance test to offer admission to aspiring candidates. These entrance exams and the scores obtained in them will be valid for College/University conducting the exam or its constituent or affiliated colleges. Therefore, checking the eligibility criteria, candidates must check the selection criteria and method chosen by the college. The entrance-based admission process will be conducted as follows:
- All candidates will be required to submit an application form in either online or offline mode.
- After successful submission of the application form, the university will generate and either send or publish an Admit Card, personalised with the details of each candidate. This Admit Card or Hall Ticket will be necessary for all candidates wishing to appear for the admission processes to the B.Sc Statistics course.
- On the stipulated date and time, candidates must reach the designated location for the entrance exam with the Admit Card and attempt the entrance exam.
- The scores obtained in the entrance exam will be considered by the college for offering admissions to the course along with all the other parameters defined by the colleges.
- After the entrance exam, candidates will be called for a Personal Interview and subsequent Document Verification Process as well.
- Candidates will further be shortlisted after the document verification process, if they are able to provide apt documents proving their eligibility, they will be considered for the admissions.
- After the Document Verification process, if applicable, an admission panel will call shortlisted candidates for a Personal Interview. Candidates will further be shortlisted and offered provisional admission to the course based on their performance in the interview.
After all the admission and selection processes have been completed, all information regarding the admission status of the candidates will be intimated by the college themselves. Therefore, the candidates must provide correct information regarding the contact details and must visit the official website of the college of their choice, in order to be updated on all admission processes and notifications.
The admissions to the B.Sc Statistics course in any one of the colleges will be considered final, once the candidate has paid off the requisite course and admission fees as outlined by the college. Payment of the fees will be considered as the candidate’s acceptance to the college and course
Top Colleges for B.Sc Statistics in India
If you are interested in enrolling under one of the top colleges for B.Sc Statistics in India, there check out the list of some of B.Sc Statistics Colleges across the nation listed below:
|S.No.||Name of the College||Type||Location||Annual Fees|
|1||IIMT University||Private||Meerut, Uttar Pradesh||Rs17,000/-|
|2||Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences||Private||Bangalore, Karnataka||Rs 50,000/-|
|3||Amity University Mumbai||Private||Mumbai, Maharashtra||Rs 1,04,000/-|
|4||Vignan’s Foundation for Science, Technology & Research||Private||Guntur, Andhra Pradesh||Rs 70,000/|
|5||Lovely Professional University||Private||Phagwara, Punjab||Rs 1,16,000/-|
|6||Madras Christian College Chennai||Private||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||Rs 19,000/-|
|7||Ramjas College||Private||New Delhi, Delhi||Rs 15,600/-|
|8||Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies||Private||Mumbai, Maharashtra||Rs 2,50,00/-|
|9||Indian Statistical Institute||Private||Kolkata, West Bengal||Rs 20,000/-|
|10||Vivekananda College||Private||Kolkata, West Bengal||Rs 5,790/-|
|11||St. Xavier’s College||Private||Ranchi, Jharkhand||Rs 19,000/-|
|12||St. Joseph’s College||Private||Bangalore, Karnataka||…|
You can check out more B.Sc Statistics Colleges in India on our website. If you are interested, you may also fill out the Common Application Form, which will allow you to apply to any one of the top B.Sc Statistics Colleges in the country.
B.Sc. (Hons.) Statistics: Eligibility
Candidate must have passed the 10+2 or equivalent examination from a recognized state or central board with at least 55% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) marks at 10+2 or equivalent level.
- He/She shall not be having any Supplementary or Compartment in any of the subject/Subjects at 10+2 or equivalent level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges and institutes may have their own additional criteria’s which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission.
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail the benefits applicable to them.
- Institutes offering admissions through Common Entrance Test go for scores of BHU CET. To get admissions in these institutes candidates would have to qualify the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks.
The eligibility criteria’s mentioned above are common to most of the universities and colleges across the country that are offering this course to the students.
B.Sc. (Hons.) Statistics: Admission Process
B.Sc. (Hons.) Statistics course admission is done through a common entrance test based admission process (as seen across various Universities and colleges in the country) as well as merit-based selection process (as seen in a good number of institutes/colleges). For more clarification and ease of understanding please, take a look at the below-mentioned points.APPLY NOWCHECK ELIGIBILITYGET UPDATES
- Students who have passed their 10+2 or equivalent level examinations with a minimum of 55% marks (relaxable for reserved category students) can make application in colleges offering the course.
- Majority of the Universities/Colleges conduct a common entrance test for admission into B.Sc. courses (like MUET) or take admissions through commonly held entrance exam like NET. Hence students would have to make an application for such exams.
- Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for admission process by the respective university or college.
- After completion of the process, final allotment of seats to the candidate takes place and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
Admission process would more or less be same across all the colleges and universities that are offering this course.
B.Sc. (Hons.) Statistics: Syllabus and Course description
The syllabus of the course is divided into six semesters spread over a span of three years. The syllabus of the course is divided into various domain related subjects and practical modules that students are taught during the course of their under graduation. The syllabus covers all the aspects related to statistics so, as to provide a holistic understanding of the subject to the undergraduate students.
The details regarding the syllabus of the course are mentioned below so, as to provide a reference to the candidates.
|Year I||Year II||Year III|
|Descriptive Statistics||Probability Theory 2||Categorical Data analysis|
|Linear algebra||Indian Statistical System||Analysis of Variance|
|Probability Theory 1||Statistical quality control||Mathematical and Computing basics in statistics|
|Numerical Methods||Population Statistics||Large sample theory|
|Sample Survey||Demographics study||Project|
|Communicative English||Seminar||Elective subject|
B.Sc. (Hons.) Statistics: Who Should Opt for?
- Students who have interest in statistics and data management.
- Those who have a career as a statistician in mind.
- Those who have a career in Indian Statistical Services in mind.
- Those aiming at higher studies in the domain can opt for the course.
B.Sc. (Hons.) Statistics: Career Prospects
B.Sc. (Hons.) Statistics course undergraduates have plenty of options to choose from in terms of their career. One can choose to work as Statistician, Data Analyst, Researcher, Statistical officer, Data manager, Scholar, Assistant Professor etc.
To provide you a holistic view of the career prospects of the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where Statistics undergraduates can look for in terms of their career.
|Area/Domain||Role||Average Salary for Fresher’s|
|Statistician||It is a typical Job in the domain that involves the study of domain-specific data so, as to figure out certain pattern or growth related prospects.||INR 1.95-2.63Lacs|
|Data Analyst||The job involves analysis and research on data that is getting generated at regular intervals.||INR 2.19-2.45 Lacs|
|Statistical officer||The job involves compilation and organization of data collected from the various source along with an analytic description.||INR 1.34-2.33 Lacs|
|Data Manager||A data manager is entrusted with the responsibility of managing the data in an organized and well-defined manner.||INR 1.92-2.12 Lacs|
|Assistant Professor||The job involves teaching the subject to students of graduation and school level||INR 2.22-2.45 Lacs|