Bowdoin College, located in Brunswick, Maine, was founded in 1794 and has never wavered in the pursuit of its goal to “educate leaders who will make a difference in the world.”. Bowdoin College is a small and prestigious liberal arts college located in the heart of the 1,200 acre Bowdoin College campus, located at the northern end of beautiful Maine’s Pine Tree Coast. Do you want to get into Bowdoin and you need answers to questions like Bowdoin College Acceptance Rate, bowdoin college ranking, bowdoin college acceptance rate 2021, bowdoin ed acceptance rate 2024 & what is bowdoin college known for.
Have you been trying to get knowledge about Bowdoin college acceptance rate 2019 average all these while. Do you find it difficult to get details concerning Bowdoin college ranking? Are you interested in knowing about Bowdoin college majors? Do you want to gain information about Bowdoin average GPA? Have you been surfing for Bowdoin early decision acceptance rate for a while now without any result? If yes, then you have definitely come to the right place! Why worry yourself our site provides answer to question.
Bowdoin College Overview
Bowdoin College is a private institution that was founded in 1794. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 1,828, its setting is suburban, and the campus size is 207 acres. It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar. Bowdoin College’s ranking in the 2020 edition of Best Colleges is National Liberal Arts Colleges, #6. Its tuition and fees are $56,350.
Bowdoin College is located in the coastal New England town of Brunswick, Maine. The Bowdoin Polar Bears compete in 31 varsity sports in the NCAA Division III New England Small College Athletic Conference. Bowdoin has nearly 100 student organizations. One of the largest and most active groups is the Outing Club, which offers 100 excursions each year.
Peucinian Society, founded in 1805, is one of the oldest literary and intellectual societies in the country, with alumni including poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. Bowdoin abolished fraternities in 1997 and replaced them with a system of college-owned social houses. Freshmen are required to live on campus and are assigned to a college house that provides residential social activities.
Bowdoin was a men’s college until 1971, when the school admitted its first female students. It was also one of the first selective schools to make the SAT and ACT optional on its application in 1969. More than half of Bowdoin students study abroad for a semester through more than 100 affiliated academic programs. Notable alumni include former Chief Justice of the United States Melville Weston Fuller, author Nathaniel Hawthorne, former U.S. President Franklin Pierce, and human sexuality and gender researcher Alfred Kinsey—subject of the 2004 biographical film bearing his surname.
- The College enrolls around 800 students. Around 61% of the total students are Whites, 10% are Hispanics or Latinos and approximately 9% of a total number of students is from more than 54 countries representing international student community on the campus.81% of the students come from outside the state and only 10% are from the state who get enrolled at the college.
- Bowdoin College, known as one of the most selective colleges for admission has an acceptance rate of 10% and has a high 98% retention rate. The graduate percentage is approximately 95% and 93% of the graduating students are able to get jobs within 2 years of their passing out earning USD 65,500 per year on an average.
- The College accepts admission applications for all the Fall sessions and gives an option of the early decision through different deadlines.
- The College is ranked very highly at #6 in National Liberal Arts Colleges, #5 in Best Undergraduate Teaching, and #12 in Best Value Schools as per US News and World report.
- Companies and institutions like Massachusetts General Hospital, Deloitte Consulting, Fulbright, Google, Teach for America, Facebook, Barclays, and US Government, including the State Department and the Department of Energy are known for recruiting Bowdoin graduates.
- A nonrefundable admission application fee of USD 65 is charged by the college. The cost of attendance for an academic year is approximately USD 73,800.
Bowdoin College Acceptance Rate
During the 2018-19 admissions cycle, Bowdoin College had an acceptance rate of 9.1%. This means that for every 100 students who applied, 9 students were admitted, making Bowdoin’s admissions process highly competitive.
|Admissions Statistics (2018-19)|
|Number of Applicants||9,332|
|Percent Admitted Who Enrolled (Yield)||59%|
Bowdoin College Rankings
As per the observations made by THE, Bowdoin College, ranked #42 in the US College rankings 2021. The college rankings made by other significant ranking agencies in the year 2021 are:
- #5 out of 207 among the Best Colleges for Global studies in America
- #6 in overall National Liberal Arts college in the year 2021.
- Bowdoin College stands 29th as Most Innovative School.
|Year of Establishment||1794|
|Type of University||Private|
|Number of UG Seats||1,805|
|Percentage of International students||10%|
|Annual acceptance rate||9%|
|Basic Tuition Fee||$23,808 per year|
|Test scores Accepted||SAT or ACT, IELTS or TOEFL|
Bowdoin College Campus and Accomodation
Campus life at Bowdoin College provides an unique experience with accommodation, library, student organizations, all within a single campus. Bowdoin College Museum of Art and Peary-MacMillan Art Museum are an integral part of the academic curriculum of the college.
Bowdoin takes care of students with complete safety and security. Every service is accessible to every student of the college. It also offers health & wellness services, counseling services, spiritual life advisers and recreation.
Bowdoin College offers dynamic residence facilities to the students in the form of residence halls, college houses, and apartments. Presently, the on-campus housing facility is offered to around 1,749 students.
- Freshmen students are required to live on-campus and incur an average housing cost of $7,372.
- For all the residential facilities, maximum of 19 meal plans per week
- Bowdoin college has college houses that have 20-30 members.
- The rents in off-campus housing costs from $500 to $1,500.
Bowdoin College Top Programs
Bowdoin College is a liberal art college with strengths in Science and Math. However, it offers various programs like Political Science, Economics & Finance, Creative Writing, etc. About 30% of students choose majors within Humanities and Fine Arts.
Presently, a total of 43 majors and 45 minors are available within 23 departments of Bowdoin College. The academic tuition fee for the year 2021-22 is $57,776 and another fee is about $546. Explore Bowdoin College courses
Bowdoin College Admissions
- Academic Requirements: Completed 4 years each of English, foreign language, mathematics and social science and 3-4 years of laboratory science.
- Language Proficiency: International students, who do not have English as their first language must submit submit scores for one of the following tests:
- An official transcript of the academic year
- Certified English translation of transcripts (if required)
- An F-1 student visa
- Teacher Evaluation (aka academic LOR)
- Proof of available funds
- Student Profile: Academic success, school and community involvement and overall academic potential are measured before admission.
Eligible students must submit their applications to Bowdoin College before the deadlines tabulated below:
|Application Type||Application Date|
|Early Decision 1||November 15|
|Early Decision 2||January 5|
|Regular Decision||January 5|
Bowdoin College SAT Scores and Requirements
Bowdoin has a test-optional standardized testing policy. Applicants to Bowdoin may submit SAT or ACT scores to the school, but they are not required. During the 2018-19 admissions cycle, 59% of admitted students submitted SAT scores.
|SAT Range (Admitted Students)|
|Section||25th Percentile||75th Percentile|
ERW=Evidence-Based Reading and Writing
This admissions data tells us that of those who submitted test scores during the 2018-19 admissions cycle, most of Bowdoin’s admitted students fall within the top 20% nationally on the SAT. For the evidence-based reading and writing section, 50% of students admitted to Bowdoin scored between 660 and 740, while 25% scored below 660 and 25% scored above 740. On the math section, 50% of admitted students scored between 670 and 780, while 25% scored below 670 and 25% scored above 780. While the SAT is not required, this data tells us that a composite SAT score of 1520 or higher is a competitive score for Bowdoin College.
Bowdoin does not require SAT scores for admission. For students who choose to submit scores, note that Bowdoin participates in the scorechoice program, meaning that the admissions office will consider your highest score from each individual section across all SAT test dates. Bowdoin does not require the essay section of the SAT or SAT Subject test scores.
Bowdoin College ACT Scores and Requirements
Bowdoin College has a test-optional standardized testing policy. Applicants to Bowdoin may submit SAT or ACT scores to the school, but they are not required. During the 2018-19 admissions cycle, 45% of admitted students submitted ACT scores.
|ACT Scores (Admitted Students)|
|Section||25th Percentile||75th Percentile|
This admissions data tells us that of those students who submitted ACT scores to Bowdoin College, most fall within the top 5% nationally on the ACT. The middle 50% of students admitted to Bowdoin received a composite ACT score between 31 and 34, while 25% scored above 34 and 25% scored below 31.
Bowdoin College, Maine USA accepts applications for the Fall semester with early decision deadlines which are given for reference. The applications have to be completed online either through the common application or the coalition application available on the website of the college.
|Early Decision I||Nov. 15|
|Early Decision II||Jan. 1|
|Regular Decision||Jan. 1|
Bowdoin College International Student Admissions
The students can make an online application through the university’s online portal.
Admission Requirements for International Students
- Completed Online common or coalition application.
- A non-refundable USD 65 application fee.
- Submit official (translated in English) copies of all Academic records starting from High school and above through the institution.
- English language proficiency test scores (TOEFL iBT, IELTS, or other accepted tests).
- Scores of Standardized Exams to study in the USA are optional for admission.
- An essay stating why you want to join the university. Interviews are preferred but not compulsory. Students can submit an additional letter of reference in lieu of an interview.
- Submit a financial statement with original supporting documents from a reputed financial institution confirming that the applicant has sufficient funds to cover tuition.
- Letters of recommendation to study in US
- Passport ID pages Copy
- Any other program-related documentation specified by the university.
- The applicants may use the email address [email protected] for their admission related queries.
- The college also accepts international transfer students.
Issuance of I20 or IAP 66 may take 6 to 8 week’s time. Applicants need to keep this in time and must start the application process keeping in mind the start date of the session they are applying for.
English Proficiency Test Score for International Students
International applicants have to demonstrate English proficiency through one of the internationally recognized standardized examinations in English. Applicants are also requested to check the course-wise specific requirements of different departments before seeking admission.
Visa Process for International Students
Applicants must submit a complete application with all the documents after which they will receive Form I-20 or IAP66 from the Institute. The documents needed to receive I-20/IAP66 are :
- Application form, Resume, Essay, and recommendation letters.
- Copies ID pages of the passport
- An official copy of the academic Transcripts of all qualifications achieved prior to seeking admission.
- Proof of financial support (Bank statement/ Sponsor letter)
- Passport pages showing identification, date of birth and residential address information
- After receiving I-20, the applicant should apply for a student visa (F-1 visa) to study in the USA at the US Embassy by fulfilling the Embassy requirements of filing a completed application form and depositing the fee.
- For obtaining a US visa, In-person interviews and Biometrics are compulsory, which should be scheduled and attended by the applicant at the nearest Embassy office.
- Maintaining the timeline is extremely important and always factor in a week extra to avoid last minutes contingencies.
- Applicant can request application fee waiver, if such amount presents financial hardship to their family.
- Bowdoin supplement is in ‘question” section of application. In that section there are certain compulsory questions which need to be filled. There is also an essay which is option.
- Three recommendation letters are required out of which one should be from school counsellor, one from high school teacher who taught core academic subject like English, math, lab sciences, social sciences, and foreign languages and one from wither teacher or from someone who can speak about applicants contribution.
- Standardized test score are optional for all international student, instead they accept English proficiency test.
- Bowdoin College accepts TOEFL ITP Plus for china with Vericant interview. If applicant had English as their language of instruction for four years in high school then they can request for English requirement waiver.
- Some additional material that applicant can provide to the university includes interview, art supplement or video response.
- Interview is accepted through third party and the college does not take interview them elf for international student. It is not compulsory, applicant can submit additional recommendation letter in lieu of an interview.
Bowdoin College Undergraduate Admissions
The college offers only courses in over 40 academic areas mainly Government and Legal Studies, Economics, Mathematics, Biology, Environmental Studies, History, Computer Science, Neuroscience, English, and Psychology.
|Requirements||Bachelors in Computer science||Bachelors in Environmental Studies||Bachelors in Legal Studies||Bachelors in Music|
|Application||Online common or coalition application||Online common or coalition application||Online common or coalition application||Online common or coalition application|
|TOEFL||iBT 100||iBT 100||iBT 100||iBT 100|
|Recommendations||Two academic/ professional references required||Two academic/ professional references required||Two academic/ professional references required||Two academic/ professional references required and a performance portfolio is also needed.|
|Personal Essay||Required (250-500 words)||Required (250-500 words)||Required (250-500 words)||Required (250-500 words)|
|Decision time||3-4 weeks||3-4 weeks||3-4 weeks||3-4 weeks|
The college has a very competitive admission procedure and requests the applicants to give an email address which is durable and is regularly used by the applicant. The college also tries to keep the financial needs to international students in mind and helps with grants and scholarships.
The college also advises the applicants to request scheduling of interviews only after they have submitted their admission applicants if the applicants are interested in appearing for an interview with the admission committee.
For any admission related query the applicants may contact at [email protected]
Bowdoin College Cost of Attendance
For the international students planning to pursue higher studies at Bowdoin College, the estimated cost is around $76,310. As per the college, the overall cost of attendance for in 2021 and its details are tabulated below:
|Tuition Fee||$57,776 + $546 (other fees)|
|Cost of Room||$7,630|
|Books and Supplies||$840|
Bowdoin College Scholarship and Financial Aid
Bowdoin College also provides international student scholarships to study in USA.
Some of the scholarships offered at Bowdoin College are:
- Tom Cassidy Student Support Fund
- Charles Carroll Everett Scholarship
- Timothy and Lynn Hayes Scholarship
As a first step, the international students must submit a CSS profile. To apply for a CSS profile visit the website. Instead of applying for a CSS profile, the students can also upload the International Student Financial Aid Application (ISFAA).Eligibility for a student to apply for financial aid are:
- A degree candidate
- Exhibit the financial need through the institutional policies and procedures
- The student must meet the academic standards of the college
Bowdoin College Placements
The Bowdoin College provides career services to the students which include career advising and programming. Though the college does not have a placement cell of its own, the career services help the students to develop their skills by establishing a good relationship between employers and students.
Furthermore, in order to help students attain better job opportunities, the college provides part-time jobs to students on-campus. This helps them adapt and improve skills like communication, time management and earn money for their livelihood.
Bowdoin College Alumni Network
After graduation, the alumni play a vital role in the college business and also give guidance to the students. As a routine, Bowdoin college invites the Alumni for sharing their experiences and guidance with the students. Some of the Notable Alumni are:
- William Pitt Fesenden- 26th US Secretary of Treasury
- Paul D Miller (1992)- Composer, writer and musician
- Anthony Doerr (1995)- Pulitzer prize-winning Author
- Deray Mckesson (2007)- Civil rights activist and Podcaster
- Zohran Mamdani (2014)- New York State Assemblymember
As a liberal arts college, Bowdoin aims to cultivate the mind and imagination of the students. The UG degree courses in several disciplines and a wide choice of Majors and Minors subjects allow incoming students to explore and decide the most suitable career path for themselves.