Last Updated on August 8, 2022
Advertising marries the creative and strategic. It inspires bright leaders to successfully deliver their message in ways you wouldn’t expect. You take in the world around you to find the best selling point and reel in those that want to buy it.. Advertisement has now influenced the product major platforms like social media and print media. The main aim of these is to create awareness of the brand among audience.
Both advertising and marketing professions are blend of business and marketing. In every website you visit, newspaper you read or advertisement you watch on TV, there is something which induce you to click or watch the advertisement and pay an attention towards it. Are you going in the line of advertising and you need to know about the details such as Best Advertising Schools in the World, best universities for advertising, best universities for masters in advertising & best advertising universities in europe.,
On Collegelearners you will also find updated posts on the following subjects: best colleges for advertising, best advertising schools in europe, best colleges for advertising and public relations, advertising universities in usa, where to study advertising, griffith college free courses, advertising programs, college for advertising and marketing, best country to study advertising, best universities for media studies, best universities for advertising uk & best colleges for creative students.
college for advertising and marketing
Advertising can be studied at various undergraduate and graduate levels, from associate degrees to doctoral qualifications.
A two-year associate degree will give students an introduction to the field and prepare them for entry-level employment or further study. A bachelor’s degree usually takes three or four years to complete and provides students with a comprehensive understanding of advertising.
If you want to begin your career in management or academia, you’ll probably need to complete a postgraduate qualification with a narrower focus. An MA usually takes one or two years to finish, whilst a PhD takes around five years of study.
Most advertising programs are taught through a mixture of lectures, seminars, workshops, tutorials, and visits to industry experts. You’ll likely be assessed through a combination of written exams, essays, reports, presentations, team projects, and creative portfolios.
Although every advertising program will be slightly different, most programs share similar modules, including:
- Introduction to advertising
- Advertising and promotion
- Campaign planning
- Brand management
- Direct and digital marketing
- Consumer behavior
- Marketing research insights
- Contemporary issues in advertising
Why To Study Advertising & Marketing Major?
Advertising and marketing professionals are the brains behind the successful marketing of the product. Ad campaigns and social marketing have become the major source of fueling the product to reach its target audience. In other words, all advertising and marketing professionals end up contributing to the sales or promotion of a brand image.
Branding is the most important part of making the product reach its target audience. Presenting the product in a creative way and engaging manner definitely brings out the best result. Professional right from taking up advertising and marketing degree course are being trained to discover new ideas to promote good in unique way. Both advertising and marketing jobs also require a lot of energy, diplomacy and a sense of humor.
These job offer lucrative salary, however, also bring pressure along. There are universities that offers Masters and degree courses in advertising and marketing course. Courses are designed to give in-depth idea about marketing tactics through practical knowledge of the same. There are different types of advertising and marketing career opportunities including- art director, marketing sales executive, copywriter, market researcher, media planner etc.
There are top ranking universities offering advertising and marketing courses. Some of the courses one can opt for are:
-Degree in Advertising
This course offers coursework in Graphic arts, Copywriting, Public relations and Marketing research.
-Degree Business Administration in Marketing
This course offers coursework in Market analysis, Promotions management and Integrated market strategies.
-Degree in Marketing
This course offers courseware in International marketing, Promotion management and Marketing strategies.
best colleges for advertising and public relations
Boston University (BU) in Boston, MA
BU was tied for 70th in the Academic Ranking of World Universities in 2018 (www.shanghairanking.com). The school tied for 42nd in U.S. News & World Report’s 2019 evaluation of national universities (www.usnews.com).
Advertising degree programs are offered through BU’s Mass Communications, Advertising and Public Relations Department. The communications major offers an advertising track. Semester-long London internships are available to undergraduates. Los Angeles internships are available to both communications majors and graduate students.
You could join the AdLab, a full-service agency run by undergraduate and graduate students. You might develop a TV spot for an organization like the League of Women Voters or a print advertisement for an automobile rental agency. Research opportunities may be available through BU’s Communication Research Center. These degrees are available:
- Bachelor of Science in Communication
- Master of Science in Advertising
Michigan State University (MSU) in Lansing
MSU was ranked among the top 150 Universities in the Academic Ranking of World Universities in 2018. The university tied for 85th among U.S. News & World Report’s 2019 national universities.
You can major in advertising and complete an internship for credit. Study abroad programs are available in Russia, Poland, Italy and Japan. The Visiting Advertising Professional program allows students to learn from practitioners in the field. If an interdisciplinary approach to several media forms appeals to you, you could take courses through MSU’s Integrated Media Arts program while meeting advertising degree requirements.
You’ll choose either a research or management track in your master’s program. Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) candidates take classes through MSU’s School of Journalism as well as the Department of Advertising, Public Relations and Retailing. The DMAT and Online Interaction Labs support study of digital technologies and multimedia production. You could earn the following degrees:
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Advertising
- Master of Arts (M.A.) in Advertising
- Ph.D. in Media and Information Studies
University of Georgia in Athens (UGA)
UGA tied for 46th in U.S. News & World Report’s 2019 ranking of national universities. The Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication hosts the 70-year old George Foster Peabody Awards that recognize outstanding public service through media.
As an advertising major, you can use the J. Thomas Russell Media Management Laboratory to complete copy writing assignments. Students have access to image editing software, scanners and color printers through the Graphics Lab. You could attend UGA’s Cannes Lions Advertising Festival Study Abroad program in France during the annual Cannes Lions Advertising Festival.
Students in the undergraduate journalism program can select a specialization in advertising. Grady also offers enrolled graduate students an optional certificate in media industry research. As a graduate degree candidate, you may concentrate on advertising or any of 12 other focus areas, including persuasive communication or emerging digital media. Grady’s New Media Institute develops mobile media system prototypes and examines how people are using new technologies, like social media advertising. Available degrees include the following:
- B.A. in Journalism
- Graduate Certificate in Media Industry Research
- M.A. in Journalism and Mass Communication
- Ph.D. in Mass Communication
De Montfort University
This is a public research and teaching university located in England. The university has the second highest number of National Teaching Fellows of all UK universities. The university stands in 54th position by Times Ranking. University offers BA (Hons) in advertising and marketing communications. Students work on real projects with advertising and marketing communications agencies, such as creating advertising campaigns.
Scholarship: University offers different scholarship having different aid amount that covers the fees and courseware. International students who pay their tuition fees in full within four weeks of enrolment are entitled to a discount of £500.
best advertising schools in europe
Northwestern University in Evanston
The Medill School of Journalism offers a Master of Science in Integrated Marketing Communications. Students are trained to manage marketing strategies and measure their effectiveness. The school is accredited by the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications. The university offers Advertising for Creative Certificate program for future advertising writers, account executives and art directors. The university was ranked in 4th position by U.S. News & World Report in 2010.
Scholarship: The university offers different financial aids for students who demonstrate financial needs. This aids include- Northwestern Scholarships, Federal/State Grants and Outside Scholarships.
Wharton School of University of Pennsylvania
Also known as Wharton School of Business offers PhD, diploma and UG course programs. University has Marketing Concentration that focuses on the needs and wants of the organization’s key stakeholders. Students can also choose Marketing Major and joint Marketing and Operations Management.
Ranking : The university stood no 1 in 2014-15 in UG, MBA and Executive Program by U.S. News & World Report.
Scholarship: University offers financial aid for MBA students in the form of grants, fellowships and scholarship programs. Students can also opt for Wharton Fellowship Program, Military Benefits and External Funding Resources.
New York University
This is the most prominent university and is organized into more than 20 schools, colleges and institutes.The university has ranked as 38th by Times Higher Education World University Rankings. Under NYU Stern, students can opt for PhD in Marketing, MBA and UG programs in Marketing and Advertising.
Scholarsips: The university offers wide range of scholarship programs. These includes- AnBryce Scholarships, Arch Scholarships, Lewis Rudin City Scholarships, Paths to Peace Scholarships.
Colorado State University
This is the public research university having 55 academic departments. CSU was ranked 124th by US. News & World Report. The marketing course in CSU provides students with comprehensive knowledge of marketing along with the skills necessary for effective decision. There are UG and Graduate courses providing digital and strategic marketing course.
Scholarships: CSU offers grants, aides, scholarship and work study opportunity for students. Some of the available grants are Colorado Student Grant ($1,250), Colorado Graduate Grant ($2, 500), CSU Commitment to Colorado (Varies), etc.
Conventry University is public research university, established in 1992. It is the member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities, University Alliance and Universities UK. Internationally, Conventry is ranked among 800 universities in world by the 2014/15 QS World University Rankings. University offers Advertising and Marketing BA (Hons) which is equipped with expertise you need to understand the multi-faceted worlds of advertising and marketing. The course is accredited by Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) and the opportunity to complete the CIM Professional Diploma in Marketing.
Scholarships: The university offers Conventry University Phoenix Scholarship worth up to £3,000 also varies and is awarded to students living in low participation neighborhoods in Higher Education (HE) within the UK. There is also Coventry University Academic Excellence Scholarship worth of £1,250 cash per year providing a course average mark of 65%.
Formerly known as Ontario College of Art and Design, it is the largest and oldest educational art and design institute in the country. The advertising course offered by the university is taught by industry practitioners, it emphasizes project-focused work and teaching through lectures, presentation and personal consultation.
Scholarship: The university offers scholarships on the basis of grades only and encourage further studies. Students are also awarded with OCAD U medals presented at Convocation Ceremony.
This is America’s non-profit private university and is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The university was ranked as Best College in Regional Universities. University offers Graduate Level, Doctoral Programs, Certificate Programs and License Accreditation in advertisement and marketing. Some of the programs are-
-Master of Arts in Advertising and Marketing Communications (M.A.)
-Bachelor of Arts in Advertising and Marketing Communications (B.A.)
-Minor in Advertising and Marketing Communications
Scholarhship: Students applying for programmes should be US citizens. Some of the available opportunities are-
-2015 Community College Part Time Transfer Scholarships
-Current Student Scholarships
-Part-time Student Scholarships
-Grad to Grad Scholarship
University of Florida
The university is an elected member of Association of American Universities (AAU), the association of preeminent North American research universities. The university offers Masters of Advertising providing students with (1) the theoretical, research and decision-making skills essential for strategic advertising and integrated communications planning.
Ranking : In the year 2014/15, US News & World Report the university ranked as 14th best public university.
Scholarship: UOF offers different positions including- Florida College Transfer Scholarships, Florida College Transfer Academic Scholarship, Florida Bright Futures Scholarship, Lombardi & Stamps Scholars Program etc.
This is the most renowned university in USA. It offers bachelor’s degree, master’s degree and doctorates in all fields. The advertising and marketing department offers in-depth knowledge about industry. Through practical and theoretical way, students are offered with good knowledge. Moreover, students are placed with good companies.
Scholarship: Boston University offers awards nearly $12.5 million in merit-based scholarships to entering freshmen. Some of the available Trustee Scholarship, Presidential Scholarship, Athletic Scholarship and others. There are also merit-based awards for students seeking financial aid.
Other Advertising Schools
|COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY||INSTITUTION TYPE||LOCATION||ESTIMATED UNDERGRAD IN-STATE TUITION*|
|Appalachian State University||4-year, Public||Boone, NC||$7,000|
|Iowa State University||4-year, Public||Ames, IA||$9,000|
|Kent State University||4-year, Public||Kent, OH||$10,000|
|Pace University||4-year, Private||New York, NY||$45,000|
|Pennsylvania State University||4-year, Public||University Park, PA||$18,000|
|Pepperdine University||4-year, Private||Malibu, CA||$54,000|
|San Jose State University||4-year, Public||San Jose, CA||$7,000|
|Southern Methodist University||4-year, Private||Dallas, TX||$54,000|
|The University of Alabama||4-year, Public||Tuscaloosa, AL||$10,000|
|University of Florida||4-year, Public||Gainesville, FL||$6,000|
*Source: NCES, U.S. Department of Education
Advertising marries the creative and strategic. It inspires bright leaders to successfully deliver their message in ways you wouldn’t expect. You take in the world around you to find the best selling point and reel in those that want to buy it. An advertising major prepares you for careers in media planning, advertising copywriting and social media strategy. You just need to find the schools with quality faculty, structured programs and generate awards that reflect the department’s success. Don’t forget to gain industry experience at the best colleges for advertising before you head off to join an impressive agency or start your own.
Best Country to Study Advertising
- United Kingdom: UK has always been one of the favorite countries for international students. The country has got a rich academic heritage and offers excellent training and research facilities. Additionally, job prospects, especially for STEM graduates are excellent. The digital sector in the UK has seen considerable growth in recent years and contributes substantial value to the economy. There is a shortage of skilled and experienced Marketing professionals in the UK. Businesses in the UK have also started to react to the country’s shortage of Marketing and Sales professionals and are collaborating with other firms and educational institutions to try and close the gap before it becomes too large to manage. Following are the top universities in the UK for Masters in Marketing:
- Imperial College: The Imperial College Business School is the business school of Imperial College London and was opened by Queen Elizabeth II in 2004. The Business School offers MBA programs which include Imperial MBA, Imperial Executive MBA, Weekend MBA and Global MBA(online), Masters programs, Joint masters programs and Doctoral programs.
- Manchester (Alliance): The Alliance Business School is the Business School of the University of Manchester in Manchester, England and was established in 1918. It is one of the most prestigious business schools in Europe and the second oldest in UK. Its Masters of Marketing program is ranked 9th worldwide and 2nd in the UK for the year 2020
- Warwick Business School: Established in 1967, the Warwick Business School is an academic department of the faculty of Social Sciences of Warwick University. It is one of the prestigious and highly selective business schools in the world. The Warwick campus is on the border of the city of Coventry and the county of Warwick-shire in a semi-rural green belt location whereas the London campus is located in the Shard Tower, one of the tallest buildings in the European Union.
- University of Edinburgh Business School: Established in 1918, it is the Business School of the University of Edinburgh in Scotland. The university has offered business education since 1918 and the MBA degree since 1980. Numerous research centers and institutions have been established by the Business School which offers a wide range of business-oriented degrees at undergraduate and post graduate levels.
- Cranfield School of Management: Cranfield School of Management is a business school which is a part of Cranfield University in Bedfordshire, United Kingdom. Established in the year 1967, it is well known for the MSc programs in Logistics and Supply Chain Management, Finance and Management, Management and MBA programs. It is also UK’s only wholly postgraduate university which specializes in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Management.
Explore your study abroad career options by logging on to Kenznow Bridge and get access to unbiased study abroad advisory. Login in now and hear from our Trusted Advisors, a right step for a successful career abroad.
2. United States of America: With over 4000 universities across the country, the USA holds the top spots for the best universities in the world due to the high-quality education and state of the art technology. Since the US is a combination of a diverse population, it has the best brains in the world and world-class high-quality institutes to accommodate them. US degrees are recognized and accepted all around the world for their excellence. USA has been a leader in many fields of study and research worldwide, and the field of Marketing hasn’t been an exception. The top five universities in the USA are as follows:
- Columbia University: Established in 1754, the Columbia University is a private Ivy League research university located in New York. It is the oldest institution of higher education in New York and is the fifth-oldest institution of higher learning in the United States. The Masters of Science in Marketing Science program in a two term STEM eligible curriculum that focuses on marketing analytics. The program trains marketing researchers to work in industries where Marketing Analytics adds value, such industries include, industry, consulting firms, nonprofit organizations, government agencies, etc.
- USC (Marshall): The USC Marshall School of Business is a business school of the University of Southern California which was founded in the year 1920 and is offers programs for international students at the undergraduate, graduate, PhD and Executive level.
- Texas (McCombs): The McCombs School of Business, also known as the McCombs School is a business school at the University of Texas at Austin. Established in the year 1922, the School is a home to 14 collaborative research centers, International Business programs and executive education programs.
- Michigan State (Broad): Established in the year 1953, the Eli Broad College of Business is the business college at Michigan State University. The college has programs in accounting, finance, general management, human resource management, marketing. Supply chain management, and hospitality business. The School offers undergraduate, MBA programs, Master of Science and Doctoral programs in Marketing.
- Florida International: Florida International University is a public research university which was established in the year 1965. Located in Florida, the university it has grown to become the largest university in the Greater Miami region and is the largest university in South Florida and the fourth largest in the USA in terms of student enrollment.
At Kenznow Institute you can get an online degree from IUBH University, largest online university based out of Germany. A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree from IUBH enables one to work or study further in Germany/Europe. Check out details now.
3. France: France is currently the fourth most popular study destination worldwide due to its excellent culture, highly rated university system and the relatively low tuition fees this is because the universities in France are state funded. France is known for its fashion and culinary tradition with over 250 different varieties of cheese coming from France and it’s a paradise for wine lovers with their delicate and delicious wines. France is a home to many top Organizations and firms in Europe due to which Business and Marketing graduates are easily employed.
- HEC Paris: HEC Paris is an international business school which was established in the year 1881 in Jouy-en-Josas, France. It offers programs in Masters in Management, MBA, EMBA, MSc programs, PhD programs and executive programs. It holds the triple accreditation from the top rating agencies in Europe; AACSB, AMBA and EQUIS. It offers MSc/MS in Marketing for professionals who wish to major in Marketing.
- EMLyon: Emlyon Business School is a renowned French business school which was established in the year 1872 in Lyon, France. It is ranked as one of the top business schools in France. It offers Masters programs in Transformation Digitale, Marketing and Strategie in a 13-month long program including a six-month internship.
- EDHEC: EDHEC Business School is a French business school which was established in 1906. It has five campuses in Lille, Nice, Paris, London and Singapore and it specializes in Business and Management. EDHEC offers 13 MSc programs including the MSc in Marketing management and strategy.
- SKEMA Business School: Established in the year 2009, the SKEMA Business School is one of the top Business Schools in France and was founded as a result of the merger between the Ecole Superieure de Commerce (ESC) LOCATED IN Lille and the CERAM Business School located in Sophia Antipolis. SKEMA offers 18 masters of science programs covering all business domains.
- IESEG: The IESEG School of Management is a graduate business school which was established in 1964 in Lille, France. It is consistently ranked as one of France’s Top 10 business schools. The MSc programs are taught entirely in English and welcome both French and International students from around the world.
One needs to prepare for TOEFL to get into any of the colleges abroad. Do check out the best online TOFEL test preparation courses by Magoosh and more, on offer with Kenznow.
4. Spain: Spain has 81 universities and are located throughout the country. Students can obtain a master’s degree from all academic disciplines such as arts and humanities, science, health sciences, social sciences, law, engineering and architecture. Due to the rapid growth of Spanish institutes in the past two decades, many schools have very modern facilities and advanced technologies. International students who wish to study in Spain must pass the Selectividad which is the Spanish university entrance exam. These exams are available twice a year in many countries.
- ESADE: ESADE (Escola Superior d’Administracio i Direccio d’Empresses) is a private Jesuit educational institution within the Ramon Llull University which was established in the year 1958 in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain. The ESADE runs two main schools of the university, ESADE Business School and ESADE Law School along with the language center and the ESADE Executive Language Center.
- EAE Business School: The EAE Business School is a private business school founded in 1958. It has campuses located in Madrid and Barcelona. The school has students from over 72 countries and 5 continents with a number of Masters in Marketing degrees taught in Spanish.
- IQS: The Chemical Institute of Sarria is an educational institution that manages two schools of the Ramon Llull University which are IQS School of Engineering and the IQS school of Management both of which offer masters and doctorate programs. Established in the year 1905, the IQS offers dual masters programs to students interested in completing their majors in Marketing.
If you are looking to prepare for the GMAT, which is a must to get into any of these universities, do check out the best online GMAT test preparation courses by Magoosh and more, on offer with Kenznow.
5. Ireland: The reason why students are flocking to Ireland is because the country is the best in research and offers high-quality scientific researches. Since the main language spoken in Ireland is English, Ireland is easily adaptable by International students. Ireland is home to a warm and hospitable population who share a lengthy history, vibrant culture and stunning landscapes. Renowned for its history in Education, Ireland is known as “The Land of Saints and Scholars”. Ireland is known for its education excellence throughout the world, this is because the people of Ireland are a curious breed and you will always notice a genuine and deep-seated love of learning in every corner of Ireland.
- Trinity Business School: The Business School of Trinity College Dublin, The Trinity Business School was established in the year 1925, and is located on College Green, Dublin, Ireland. This Business School has double accreditation by EQUIS and AMBA which makes it one of the top 1% business schools worldwide. The MSc in Marketing at the Trinity Business School offers specialization programs in strategy and branding along with data analytics and sales management.
- UCD (Smurfit): The UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School is the graduate business school of the University College Dublin. Located in Blackrock, Dublin which is the republic of Ireland, it was established in 1908 and was the first school in Europe to offer a Master of Business Administration degree in the year 1964.
- DCU Business School: The DCU Business School is affiliated to Dublin City University and is one of the only two Schools in Ireland to be accredited by the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business). The school has over 3000 students from across 58 countries worldwide.
Best Colleges for Creative Students
10. DRAKE UNIVERSITY
Want to intern for companies like The Integer Group, Strategic America, The Meyocks Group, Olson and the American Advertising Federation (AAF)? If you answer yes (and you should), head to Drake University. Professors like Sandy Henry push their students to strive for the best in the advertising field. And it shows: Henry’s students have won American Advertising Awards and the Broadcast Education Association International Festival of Media Arts Best of Festival Award. In their senior year, Drake students collaborate with one another to create a multimedia campaign and then present it to real world clients. When students show up for interviews, they can feel confident that they gained the experience and portfolio they need to succeed from Drake.
9. TEMPLE UNIVERSITY
Pete Jones, Senior Vice President and Group Creative Director of McCann-Erickson, New York (you know, the world’s largest advertising agency network), started his advertising career at the Klein College of Media and Communication as an advertising student. Interested in jumping into the professional advertising world, but not sure if you can take the leap? Diamond Edge Communications (DEC) gives students real world experience before graduation. This student-run advertising agency produces real work to present to clients like the U.S. Department of State, Aramark and the Mitzvah Circle Foundation. Students can concentrate their studies in Account Management, Art Direction, Copywriting or Media Planning. Classes like Personal Branding help them discover their brand identity. Narrative and Multimedia encourages students to focus on thinking creatively, cleverly and unconventionally. This year, Temple students placed second in the National Student Advertising Competition. Temple prepares aspiring advertisers to win awards for their impressive work.
8. UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA
The advertising faculty at UA continually produces recognized award-winning work. UA’s Division of Strategic Communications in 2018 created the campaign “Where Legends Are Made” and won six awards at the American Advertising Federation Competition, including Overall Best of Show. J’Cee Hyatt found her love of advertising at UA and is now a research associate for the Nissan Division at Zimmerman Advertising. UA advertising students take classes like Strategic Thinking and Investigation and Insights, teaching them the skills they need to conduct research to measure program needs, develop program objectives and strategies and develop the tools to measure a program’s return on investment. You’ll find it easy to grow and understand the advertising industry here at UA.
7. UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT URBANA-CHAMPAIGN
Become part of a legacy at the University of Illinois. Students get insight from professors like Steven Hall, who received the American Advertising Federation (AAF) Distinguished Teaching Award in 2015 and Michelle Nelson, the President Elect of the American Academy of Advertising (AAA). Your four years build on one another in order to prepare you for the industry. Year one will expose you to the advertising industry. Year two you learn the tools of the industry. Year three allows you to apply the tools you learned to solve real world problems in advertising. And in year four, you dedicate yourself to one area of specialization, like advertising research methods. University of Illinois students will find this method very promising; three students from the College of Media Class of 2017 were named American Advertising Federation’s Most Promising Multicultural Students. Students who love advertising and technology can opt to earn a Bachelor’s of Science in Computer Science and Advertising.
6. MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY
Become a part of one of the largest and oldest advertising departments at Michigan State University. In its 60-year run, MSU’s advertising alumni have graduated and made names for themselves, like Quicken Loans CMO Carey Hubris, Ally CMO Andrea Brimmer and Mercedes-Benz digital consultant Elizabeth Johnson (also reigning Miss Michigan USA). MSU’s advertising faculty is 35 strong. “Our program is probably the only program in the country — and perhaps the only one in the world—to offer separate degrees in the Management side of the industry and the Creative side,” said Jeff Richards, Professor and Chair of MSU’s Department of Advertising and Public Relations. ComArtSci stays ahead of the advertising industry; it was the first university to offer a minor in Advertising Analytics. As a research university, the advertising faculty generate new knowledge rather than teach what we already know. Students can access the Media and Advertising Psychology Lab (MAP Lab) to research health communication, advertising, retailing and media multitasking. The MAP Lab focuses biopsychological effects of media on the mind and body using indicators like eye-tracking measures.
5. SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY
Newhouse’s track record speaks for itself: students won 127 awards in 2017-2018 alone, including the Cannes Future Lion. Only five of these awards are given worldwide. Students don’t even need to leave campus to find real-world experience. Instead, they apply for a position as an account manager, strategist or creative at The NewHouse at Syracuse University. TNH, the largest student–run agency in the nation, structures itself after the professional agencies you see in the real world. The Executive Board overlooks the needs of clients and appropriately assigns students positions that meets the clients’ objectives. Back in the classroom, students become big thinkers and advertising leaders with classes like Advertising Practice in a Diverse Society. Advertising students choose an emphasis in topics like web advertising, integrated media planning or even advertising for social and political causes, to make sure they feel prepared for their dream career in the ad world. And they land those dream jobs: Newhouse advertising alumni include Google’s Director of Retail Lori Sobel, DC Entertainment President Diane Nelson and G100 Companies Partner Deb Henretta.
4. THE UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA
Welcome to the doghouse. Advertising pros like Maxine Clark, the creator and founder of Build-A-Bear Workshop, Tim Mapes, the CMO of Delta and winner of the brand genius award, and Lisa Ryan Howard, of Advertising for The New York Times, kickstarted started their careers at UGA. Grady College’s advertising curriculum touches on all areas of advertising, molding well-rounded advertisers and giving them experiential learning opportunities. Student resources like graphic design labs, copy writing labs and a unique social media listening lab let students learn how to operate social media analytics. “We are opening our new VERGE Lab (Virtual Reality and Gaming Technology Lab.) The lab will have 15 stations for students to work with. Many of our students also earn certificates from our New Media Institute which gives them hands-on experience with programming and developing digital communication products,” said New Media Professor Karen King. Advertising classes incorporate hands-on components that allow students to work on ad campaigns for clients like Coke, eBay, Delta and Zaxby’s.
3. UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN
Everything’s big in Texas, including UT-Austin’s advertising program. Unique to the nation, UT’s Moody College of Communication offers Master’s and Ph.D. programs specifically in advertising. Plus, by the time you graduate with your bachelor’s, your understanding of the structure, methods and solutions in advertising probably exceeds your competition. Following the motto “Theory x Practice,” UT students begin building their portfolio early on and apply the skills they learn into creating the next best campaign for companies like Longhorn. The Texas Creative Program produces some of the greatest copywriters and art directors that advertising agencies around the world want on their team. Just ask the two Texas Creative student teams that won Campaign Gold and Campaign Silver at the ADDY Awards, a huge and representative completion of over 35,000 competing students and professionals that awards creative spirit of excellence in advertising.
2. THE UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI
Remember the hilarious Tide Pod commercial from the 2018 Super Bowl? It won seven Lions Awards at the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity. And UM advertising alumnus Erin Evon was part of that winning team. UMiami’s School of Communication continually reevaluates itself to match the ever–evolving industry. And student experience isn’t limited to the classroom. Students work with clients like Airbnb, Bobby’s Burger Palace, Pasion Del Cielo and Miami’s Brickell City Centre.
Students choose to specialize in advertising creative or advertising management. And with an improved advertising management curriculum coming soon, they also learn the business side to advertising with a specialization in strategy and research, management or media. Then they practice their skills on state-of-the-art television, video, editing and AV equipment for creative products. Hands-on and skill-based classes, like Advanced Creative Development, encourage students to work in pairs: one copywriter and one art director. Then they create competitive and award-winning work that gets featured on One Show and the ADDYs. And UM students don’t just compete, they win. They placed first in the district in five of the past eight years, and won the National Championship in 2011 and 2013.
1. BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY
When you think about “the man your man can smell like,” you think Old Spice. Jason Bagley, the creative director behind the commercial concept, graduated with a Bachelor’s in Advertising from BYU. It’s one thing for a school to call themselves great and another thing when the industry reflects back on their hard work and dedication. And that shows at BYU. BYU offers academic experiences that train students in deep research and allow them to gain a greater understanding of strategy and methods in advertising. “We try to strike a balance between the academic rigor you want to see in a great university education program, but also with the practical experience that comes with trying to create immersion in the industry,” said BYU Advertising Associate Teaching Professor Jeff Sheets. Students can access social media analytical resources, like BuzzSumo.
BYU students have won strategy competitions, the national Best of Show at the ADDYs in 2017, and 2018 and the international ANDY for Best of Show (three of the finalist were BYU students) among the dozens of others. “Much of our projects now are companies coming to us which has been very successful,” said Kevin Kelly, an associate teaching professor in the Communications Department at BYU. The BYU advertising lab, a student-run and professionally-mentored agency, allows students to work hand-in-hand with ad agencies and their big name clients like Nike, Amazon, Airbnb and Microsoft. Faculty encourage their students to implement the teachings and theories learned in class and apply them to real world clients and campaigns. BYU has everything you need to make a name for yourself in the industry.