Last Updated on August 28, 2023
Students who wish to pursue a career in Animation can pursue Science/Arts/Commerce in 10+2, but they have to be efficient in technical skills such as Adobe After Effects, Autodesk3ds Max, Adobe Premiere and Autodesk Maya.
Popular animation courses are BSc Animation, BA Animation Bachelor of Visual Arts in Animation along with other specializations such as graphic design, media, or VFX. Apart from that various Animation Certificate Courses, and Free Online Animation Courses are offered by various online portals such as Udemy, Coursera, edX, etc.
Popular Animation Colleges in India are NID Ahmedabad, VIT Vellore, AAFT Noida, etc. The average Animation Salary of a fresher is INR 1.8 to 2 lakhs per annum, however, an experienced candidate can earn as much as INR 7.2 – 8.4 LPA. They get to work in job roles of a 2D/3D Animator, Web Designer, Graphic Designer, etc.
What are Animation Courses?
- In order to become an animator, you need to pursue either bachelor or diploma courses in Animation. Certifications and Online Animation Courses help you to expertise and keep up with the latest trends in Animation.
- Students who have pursued BFA are also eligible to pursue a career as an animator, by taking up certification courses in Animation after graduation.
- BA Animation and Multimedia, BSc Animation, BDes Animation, Diploma in 2D/3D Animation, Diploma in Animation, and film making are some of the popular animation courses.
- The Animation course fee depends on the institution and the type of animation course one has opted for. The average fee is between INR 5,000-2,00,000.
- Animation courses admission is either based on merit or entrance exams. Apart from fulfilling the minimum requirement, candidates should also have some knowledge of software such as Autodesk3ds Max, Adobe After Effects, Autodesk Maya, Adobe Premiere, etc.
- The top colleges that offer Animation courses are NIELIT Delhi, NIELIT Lucknow, Arena Animation, Image Institute Of Multimedia Arts and Graphic Effects, etc. Check: Animation Courses in Delhi
- The various job roles for aspiring animators are Game Designers, 3D Animators, Web Designers, etc. The average salary ranges between INR 1.8- 2 lakhs per annum. With the introduction of VFX and OTT platforms, employment opportunities for budding animators have increased significantly. Many top companies such as Disney, offer remote working opportunities for animators.
Why Pursue Animation Courses?
A career as an animator after pursuing an animation course is quite popular in the modern world. The 21st generation youth prefers to follow their passion and if someone is passionate about animation, they should definitely pursue an animation course. Animation courses are fun, knowledgeable, and super creative. They help to induce the creative mindset of aspirants. The following are some of the reasons why you should consider pursuing animation courses:
- Excellent Job Prospects in Diverse Industries: After pursuing an animation course, animation professionals have excellent job opportunities. Aspirants can work in production houses, advertising firms, design games, etc.
- Growing Demand and Supply: With the advancement of technology and the shift towards digitalization, the demand for animators is constantly increasing. Due to the increasing demand, pursuing an animation course is a lucrative career option.
- Creative Opportunities: If you can convey your ideas in a detailed manner to a huge audience creatively, then pursuing an animation course is a versatile and creative option. Animation courses will help the candidates in enhancing their creativity and expressing their ideas freely.
- Modern and Powerful Tool to Educate and Reach a Huge Audience: Pursuing an animation course and later taking up animation as a profession will help you in building a higher reach and will help in educating a wider audience in a single go.
- Salary: Junior animators or trainees may earn between Rs. 8,000 and Rs. 15,000 per month. They can earn Rs. 25,000-40,000 with three to five years of experience. A skilled animator with a strong portfolio of excellent animation work could easily earn Rs. 50,000-60,000 per month.
Types of Animation Course
Aspirants can pursue various types of animation courses such as undergraduate and postgraduate courses. But both the undergraduate and postgraduate courses are long term courses. Some of the short term courses in Animations are certificate courses and diploma courses.
Top Undergraduate Courses in Animation
Here are the top UG Animation Courses that are offered to students in various colleges in India,
|BSc Animation||BSc Animation, Graphics & VFX||BSc in Multimedia and Animation||BSc Multimedia, Animation & Graphic Design|
|BA VFX and Animation||BA 3D Animation||BSc in Multimedia||BA Multimedia|
Some of the important topics for BSc Animation has been mentioned below in a tabular format,
|Basics of Animation||Computer Based 2D Animation|
|Elements of Information Technology||Production Process|
|Multimedia & Computer Graphics||Multimedia & Computer Graphics|
|Digital Editing and Motion Graphics||Gaming Technology|
BSc in Multimedia and Animation
|Experimental Animation||Principles of Animation|
|Introduction to 3D||Foundation course in Classical Animation|
|Computer Laboratory on 2D Animation||Computer Laboratory on Multimedia|
|Computer Laboratory on 3-D Graphics Animation Design||Computer Laboratory on 2D Ink Paint Compositing Techniques|
BSc Animation, Graphics & VFX
|Fundamentals of Art, Design and Visualisation||Bio-Mechanics|
|Principles of Design||Introduction to Computer Graphics|
|Digital Animation by Flash||History of Animation|
BSc Multimedia, Animation & Graphic Design
|Foundation Art||Classical Animation|
|Communication & Communication Theories||3D Design & Modelling|
|Professional Communication & Technical Writing||Introduction to TV & Satellite Communication|
|Introduction to Digital Image Processing||Management Information Systems|
BA VFX and Animation
|Traditional Arts & Digital Techniques||Basic of Sketching & Drawing|
|Basic Fundamentals of Film Making||Fundamentals of Photography|
|Introduction & Advancement of 3D||Practical On Dynamics & Character Animation|
|Practical on Animation Industry Market Study||Practical on Editing & Compositing|
BA 3D Animation
|3D Animation and Visual Effects||Computer Graphics-based film making|
|Compositing and Match Moving||Animation Production|
|Business Organisation and Accountancy||Language Studies|
BSc in Multimedia
|Science of Communication||Fundamentals of Computer|
|Page Maker or Quark Express||Communication Technologies|
|Computer Organisation and Structure||Applications of Multimedia|
|Interactive Courseware Designing||Data Communication and Computer Network|
|Digital Art Photography||Digital Art Photography|
|Video Introduction & Advance||Communication & Soft Skill|
|Realistic Concepts of Animation & Special Effects||Script Writing & Story Board Designing|
|3D Introduction & Advanced (Modelling & Animation)||2D Animation|
Top Post Graduate Courses in Animation
Here are the top PG Animation Courses that are offered to students in various colleges in India. All of these courses are of two years duration.
|MSc Animation||MDes Animation Film Design||MDes Graphic Design|
|MDes Programme in Animation||MSc in Multimedia||MDes Game Design|
|Script Writing & Storyboard Designing||Desk Top Publishing|
|Digital Animation and Special Effects||2D Animation 3D Introduction and Advanced|
|Interactive Media||Advance Digital Art Photography|
MDes Animation Film Design
|Basic Shapes & Sketching Techniques||Body Language & Expressions|
|Visual Scripting with Film Language||Concept Art & Inspirational Sketches|
|Concept Design, Development & Storytelling Techniques||Storyboarding for Animatics|
MDes Graphic Design
|Principles of Graphic Design||History of Graphic Design|
|Graphic Design and Communication Studio||Graphic Design and Multimedia Studio|
|Colour Theory||Design Research Interactive Systems|
MDes Programme in Animation
|Media Investigation and Communication Methods||Animation Principles and History|
|Animation Process and Visual Form||Image Making and Representation|
|Photo Communication||Exposure to Design|
MSc in Multimedia
|3D Character Modelling||3D Lighting & Texturing|
|Specialisation in Animation & Rigging||Specialisation in Modelling, Texturing & Lighting|
|Specialisation in Animation & Rigging||Specialisation in Game Art Design|
MDes Game Design
|Computer Fundamental||Dynamics and Mathematics|
|Virtual Reality and Artificial Intelligence||Machinima|
|Classical Animation||VFX for Games|
Animation Courses Online Udemy
|Course Name||Course Fees|
|Angular Styling & Animations||INR 455|
|Learn 3D Animation – The Ultimate NEW BLENDER 2.8||INR 455|
|After Effects Motion Graphics Beast||INR 455|
|Learn SVG Animation||INR 455|
|Learn to Animate||INR 455|
Animation Courses Online Skillshare
|Course Name||Course Fees|
|Online Animation Classes||Free|
Animation Courses Online Coursera
The following are some of the most popular animation courses provided by Coursera.
|Introduction to Programming and Animation with Alice||Free|
|Game Design: Art and Concepts Specialization||Free|
|Interactive Computer Graphics||Free|
|Unity Certified 3D Artist||Free|
|Getting Started with Adobe Spark||Free|
Career in Animation
A career as an animator is very lucrative, yet a very competitive career. As an animator, you have to stand out from the crowd to be an animator, and hence here are some tips to start a career after pursuing animation courses.
Develop and Practice Soft skills
- Apart from just building the foundational art skills required in animation and learning about editing the software, candidates must also develop acting and observation skills as it can help them understand the body language and movements of objects, which can help recreate specific emotions and qualities in their characters on screen.
- Teamwork is another very important skill that animators must possess. Animation projects require collaboration, and one must practice being a good group member and know how to manage feedback and constructive criticisms.
Create a Great Portfolio and Demos
- Building an exceptional portfolio is one of the most important steps before starting a career in animation.
- Apart from creating a portfolio, animators must also create demo reels to showcase their talent on the screen.
- Portfolios and Demos will help have an online presence and help attract a huge audience.
|Certificate||6 months||Passed X or XII from a well-known board|
|Diploma||1 Year||Passed XII from a well-known board|
|Undergraduate||3-4 years||Passed XII from a recognized board/ Completed diploma in a relevant course|
|Postgraduate||2 Years||Passed graduation course in Animation or a related subject|
|Doctorate||2-5 Years||Passed postgraduation in the relevant subject|
Top Animation Colleges in India
|IIT Bombay, Mumbai||INR 32,000|
|Loyola College, Chennai||INR 22,120|
|Fergusson College, Pune||INR 76,145|
|VIT Vellore||INR 99,000|
|JMI New Delhi||INR 84,620|
|PSGR Krishnammal College for Women, Coimbatore||INR 12,450|
|MAHE Manipal||INR 60,000|
|Pearl Academy, New Delhi||INR 6,25,800|
|LBC Kolkata||INR 5,000|
To pursue an animation course and a career as an animator, a candidate must have several skills. Apart from being extremely passionate about animation and creativity, candidates should possess the following skills:
|Confidence||Good Eye for Design|
|Time Management||Organizational Skills|
|Imagination and creativity||Analytical Skills|
Animation Jobs And Scope
Animation is a very popular career option in India which provides you with the opportunity to build your future in a wide number of fields. Given below are some of the best animator jobs for students pursuing animation courses along with the skills required and salaries:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Salary|
|Animator||An animator is responsible for using various techniques to produce moving images that will convey a particular message. They work with project teams and establish various goals.||INR 4,00,000-6,00,000|
|Art Director||An art director creates graphic content for the websites of various companies. The art director is also involved in continuous communication with the senior management team about the progress of their projects.||INR 6,00,000-8,00,000|
|Film and Video Editor||Animation students may also take up the role of film and video editor. Their task is to edit the films and the videos until it meets the requirements of the director.||INR 6,00,000-10,00,000|
|3D Modeler||A 3D Modeler uses different types of animation tools to bring models to life. This job has a lot of scope in the engineering and advertisement industry.||INR 5,00,000-7,00,000|
Animation Courses: Top Recruiters
The following are the top recruiters of animation courses graduates:
|Reliance Media Companies Ltd, Mumbai||Crest Animation Studios, Mumbai|
|Anibrain, Pune||Pentamedia Graphics, Chennai|
|MAKUTA||UTV Toonz, Mumbai|
The salary for an animator after pursuing an animation course in his initial years is INR 1-3 LPA. With years of experience, it can go up to INR 7 – 8 LPA.
|Entry Level Salary||INR 1,06,000|
|Mid Level Salary||INR 3,24,000|
|Senior Level Salary||INR 10,50,000|
Animation Salary Experience Wise
|1-4 Years||INR 2,00,000 – 3,06,000 LPA|
|5-9 Years||INR 3,10,000 – 5,10,000 LPA|
|>10 Years||INR 6,00,000-10,00,000 LPA|
Animation Salary Gender Wise
|Male||INR 2,80,000 per annum|
|Female||INR 2,64,000 per annum|
Animation has always been one of the most lucrative career options to pursue. Most of us have grown up on animated cartoons and films and love the idea of being the hand behind those wonderful creations. However, getting into animation seriously can be a bit of a confusing and difficult process. The animation is an amalgamation of art skills and computer expertise, which most academic systems still consider as polar opposites in the curriculum spectrum.
Thus, it can be difficult to master the skills necessary to get going in the chosen field of animation. While most short-term animation certification courses do not have any requirements from students regarding such skills, it can give learners an edge over others to have them anyway. This is where short-term animation courses come in. These courses help students gain basic animation knowledge or obtain more niche skills in a certain specialization.
There are a large number of such courses available, provided by animation colleges or available as standalone bundles from animators or e-learning websites. Choosing the right short-term animation courses online can be difficult, especially for beginners. This blog lists the best animation courses online under two years duration and provides every necessary information to help eager animators make the right choice for a better career.
Top 10 Short-Term Animation Courses for Better Prospects
Short-term animation courses are highly popular for those wanting to go forward in their career. A career in an animation course does not require as much investment of time or money as a long-term course, yet, with the right planning, can provide the same benefits. Given below are the top short-term animation certification courses for honing animation skills of various levels:
- VanArts 2D/3D Character Animation Course
- Victorian College of the Arts Course in Animation 13 Week Intensive
- Centre for Arts and Technology Diploma in 2D Animation & Digital Art
- Fanshawe College Diploma in Animation
- Supinfocom Rubika International Summer Programme: Animation à la française
- Inter-Dec College 3D Animation for Television and Cinema Course
- Indian Institute Of Film And Animation Diploma in Animation
- Toronto Film School Video Game Design and Animation Diploma
- Udemy Maya for Beginners: Complete Guide to 3D Animation in Maya
- Centre for Arts and Technology Diploma in 3D Animation – Game, Film & Visual Effects
1. VanArts 2D/3D Character Animation Course
The Vancouver Institute of Media Arts is one of the top animation schools in the world and it’s 2D/3D animation diploma is highly focussed on readying students for the best places in the animation world. It will teach students specific skills in 2D or 3D animation necessary to get the job they desire.
- Learn all the necessary aspects of 2D or 3D animation to help gain the skills for job roles.
- Become an expert in character animation
- Be taught by the top animators from some of the most elite studios in the world
- Achieve mastery over animation concepts like the story, character performance, visual language, flow, and mechanics
- Get a working knowledge of all popular animation software and technology
Duration: 1 year
Location: Vancouver, Canada (On-campus)
2. Victorian College of the Arts Course in Animation 13 Week Intensive
This is a 13-week short-term animation certification course meant to quickly arm beginners with basic, all-around knowledge about animation through intensive training and hands-on experience in a small-class environment. People with basic animation abilities can also enroll in the programme to further enhance their skills.
- Become accustomed to a wide range of studio-level techniques, methodologies, and practices
- Gain experience in operating industry-grade equipment and technologies
- Train with real-life emulating exercises and actual projects to become comfortable with the animation production process
Duration: 13 weeks
Location: Melbourne, Australia (On-campus)
3. Centre for Arts and Technology Diploma in 2D Animation & Digital Art
This is a 2D animation certification online course that gives all-around training to pupils to build a foundation in 2D animation. After doing this course, an animator can go in any direction and pursue any specialisation in the 2D animation world.
- Learn about the background of animation, from its history and historical figures to its cultural significance
- Explore character design, art, and mechanics, skills essential to 2D animation
- Find out about the fundamentals of animation
- Master both traditional as well as digital animation.
- Hone post-production and editing skills necessary to create a finished project
Duration: 15 months (6 terms)
Location: Kelowna, Canada (On-campus)
4. Fanshawe College Diploma in Animation
This short-term animation certification diploma helps students achieve the skills needed to create complete animation projects for various media, from movies and television to games and web animations. Students get all the practical skills necessary to become part of a production pipeline in the animation industry.
- Acquire traditional as well as modern animation skills that use state-of-the-art technology
- Gain technical knowledge of the operation and maintenance of industry-standard animation equipment.
- Learn about industry best practices, standards and protocols as well as business skills
- Gain the ability to assume a variety of roles in the animation process for a number of delivery formats
Duration: 2 years
Location: London, Canada (Online)
5. Supinfocom Rubika International Summer Programme: Animation à la française
This is one of the most sought-after 3D animation courses in the world, attracting students from across countries. The summer programme is best for those who have prior experience in animation, like undergraduates and graduates with relevant majors.
- Acquire intensive knowledge from eminent professionals from the animation industry
- Hone your skills in character design
- Understand and appreciate the various aspects of layout design for animation
- Enhance your expertise in 3D modelling of characters
- Reiterate basic concepts of animation with modern technologies
Duration: 4 weeks
Location: Valenciennes, France (On-campus)
6. Inter-Dec College 3D Animation for Television and Cinema Course
An animation programme focussed on imparting comprehensive training in 3D animation, this programme uses the latest technology to ensure students are up-to-date with current industry practices. Many students also contribute to real, high-profile projects for hands-on experience.
- Obtain a range of skills that makes students competent to pursue careers in any of animation, visual effects, modelling, concept art, and much more
- Gain the artistic, creative, design and cinematographic skills to be able to handle any kind of 3D project
- Become familiar with all the cutting-edge technology and techniques the animation industry utilizes
- Attain the expertise necessary to create projects themselves to get established as an animator
Duration: 1 year (three 15-week semesters/1035 hours)
Location: Montreal, Canada (On-campus)
7. Indian Institute Of Film and Animation Diploma in Animation
This diploma course teaches students the basics of animation in a number of areas that are in demand for a career in animation. The main purpose of the course is to make aspiring animators more industry-ready and improve their career prospects, no matter what kind of aspect of animation they choose.
- Learn the basic concepts of 2D and 3D animation
- Improve skills in character and graphic design, art and anatomy
- Learn VFX, modelling, composting, storyboarding and other technical animation processes
- Gain the necessary expertise to ace any industry, from gaming, cartoon production, advertising and films.
Duration: 16 months
Location: Bangalore, India (On-campus)
8. Toronto Film School Video Game Design and Animation Diploma
This is a game animation certification course offered by the top-tier Toronto Film School that covers all the fundamental aspects of gaming animation and provides comprehensive training in creating a game, from the design to the business.
- Learning the game production process in both 2D and 3D fields.
- Learn within a collaborative model to create mid to large-scale games
- Gain skills in artwork, design, animation, audio, music, and even the business planning and development of games
- Training in all the latest animation and design technologies and software
Duration: 18 months (6 terms)
Location: Toronto, Canada (On-campus)
9. Udemy Maya for Beginners: Complete Guide to 3D Animation in Maya
This is undoubtedly one of the best short-term animation courses online, created and provided by Lucas Ridley of Video School Online. This is specifically a Maya animation course, which means takers will learn all animation techniques on Autodesk Maya. The programme is targeted at beginners but can be taken by hobbyists wanting to gain professional skills.
- Learn to use Maya for various animations techniques like modelling, texture, rigging, animation, dynamics, light, and rendering
- Learn various aspects of design like modelling, texturing, shading, lighting, and more
- Become comfortable with using keyframes for animation
- Become confident in handling an entire project
Duration: 25.5 hours
Location: Online (Udemy)
10. Centre for Arts and Technology Diploma in 3D Animation – Game, Film & Visual Effects
This is another diploma course from the Centre for Arts and Technology for making a career in animation. This one focuses on 3D animation. Like its 2D counterpart, this also imparts comprehensive knowledge and expertise in 3D animation and prepares you for the professional animation world.
- Achieve the skillset necessary for various industries like games, films, visual effects, and television
- Attain versatility to pursue an animation career as a character modeller, character animator, texture artist, technical artist, lighting artist, digital artist, compositing artist, or concept/storyboard artist
- Get hands-on experience in 3D animation projects
- Learn from the best of the animation industry
Duration: 24 months
Location: Kelowna, Canada (On-campus)
Short-term animation courses have made the art and science of animation accessible to more people. They have opened up the wonderful world of animation to more people, thus gaining more talent in the field. It is one of the reasons why animation has advanced so much in recent times and why more and more people are becoming open to the idea of becoming an animator.
A career in animation is one of the most-sought-after career options these days. And why not? With high salaries, career growth and an opportunity to showcase your creativity, a career in animation could be the right choice for today’s youth.
With movies like Baahubali, Kung Fu Panda, Ice Age and others being a rage among children and adults alike, the prospects of animation industry look bright.
A job in animation can be defined as the art of breathing life to a character or an object. A blend of entertainment industry and technology, it is concerned with design, drawing, layout and production of graphically rich and attractive multimedia clips.
Here’s a list of probable job roles in animation:
- 2 D Animator
- 3 D Animator
- Key Frame Animator
- Image Editor
- Character Animator
- Texture Artist
- Layout Artist
- Lighting Artist
- Story Board Artist
- Background Artist
- Clean Up Artist
- Rigging Artist
- Rendering Artist
- Digital Ink and Paint Artist
You need sketching skills and a passion for animation. For better job prospects, a degree or diploma in animation helps.
Other essential skills for a career in animation include:
- Good Visual Imagination
- Knowledge of CAD
- Good Colour Sense
- Artistic Skills
- Appreciation of Aesthetics
- Ability to Express Ideas Through Drawings
- Detail Oriented
- Computer Skill
Career in Animation after 12th
Here are some of the courses that you can go for once you pass 10+2. Please note different institutions have different eligiblity criteria for an animation course. A 50% marks is minimum you should have.
- B A in Animation
- B.Sc in Animation
- Diploma in Animation
- Certificate Courses
Jobs in Animation
India has more than 300 animation studios, which employ over 15,000 animation professionals. The gaming industry is one of the top employers and they also pay quite well.
Though entertainment through film and television is the main area of application in this profession, animation is also needed in other areas such as business, sales, engineering, education and advertising. Animators can also find jobs in print media and publishing firms.
Freelance work is another option, particularly for web animators. Animators can also branch into website design, CD-Rom production, graphics designing and three-dimensional product modeling.
As an animator, you may get an opportunity to work in the following sectors:
- Online and Print News Media
- Cartoon Production
- Video Gaming
- Film & Television
Salaries: Junior animators or trainees could get between Rs. 8,000-15,000 per month. With three to five years experience they can earn Rs. 25,000- 40,000. A well-experienced animator who has a good portfolio of excellent animation work could easily get Rs. 50,000-60,000 per month.
With US and European studios outsourcing work to India, and Indian companies creating a number of animated films andcartoons, the future looks bright for creative animators.
Animation is multi-billion dollar industry has generated great employment scope, and offers career opportunities across a range of profiles – from technology-based jobs such as scanning, compositing, digital ink and paint, and game designing to creative guys like visual-effects supervisors, 3D modellers and character animators.
Training is the most essential and important aspect for the creation of a skilled professional in the field of animation. To become an animator, the first step is to join a diploma course in animation.
There are various diploma courses to choose from like, diploma in Graphic Designing, Web designing etc, which can help them master the suite of technical skills required to pursue a lucrative career in this exciting and dynamic industry.
The curriculum for diploma courses are designed in such a manner that over a course of time students get a thorough grounding, expert training and certification in his/her desired topic of specialisation such as Modeling, Lighting, Rigging, Animation, Visual Effects etc.
A student pursuing a diploma course in animation and gaming can pursue job roles such as Graphic Designer, Web Designer, 2D/3D Animator, 2D/3D Designer, AV Editor, Technical Trainer, 3D Modeler, Multimedia Programmers, Compositors, Visualizers, Content Developers and Pre and Post Production executives in leading animation studios and entertainment companies.
An aspirant wishing to pursue a career in animation and gaming can start with the average salary of around Rs 1.2 lakh per annum and can reach up to 7 lakh per annum (depending on the different profiles an individual chooses).
It is rightly said that animation is a career where one can literally ‘draw’ ones salary.
What is BSc Animation?
BSc Animation or Bachelor of Science in Animation deals with the process of drawing, designing, and preparation of photographic sequences which are integrated with gaming and multimedia. The 3 year six semesters course is offered at a few institutes in India. The BSc Animation course provides an opportunity for young artists to understand the nuances of animation and filmmaking.
Eligibility to take admission in BSc Animation is 10+2 passed or equivalent qualification with a minimum aggregate score of 50%. The students from Science stream are preferred.
Having a good score in the previous qualifying exam
Key Points of BSc Animation
- Duration: 3 years (Full Time).
- Minimum EligiThe tabulation below shows the best BSc Animation bility: Minimum 50% in 10+2.
- Admission Process: Mostly Merit-based.
- Top Colleges: Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Jain University, Chitkara University.
- Average Annual Fees: INR 8,000 – 2,00,000.
- Common Jobs: Game Designers, 3D Animators in Web Design, Films and Television, Web Designers, etc.
- Average Annual Salary: INR 3,00,000 – 6,00,000.
- Further Study Options: MSc Animation.
The admission process for this course varies from institutes to institutes. The admission for most of the institutes is based on the candidate’s score at the 10+2 level or equivalent examination.
The average tuition fee for Bachelor of Science in Animation ranges between INR 8,000 – 2,00,000 annually for 3 years. The difference in academic fees will vary as per the location, course procedure, and type of college.
The tabulation below is the list of Top BSc Animation colleges in India:
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College Name||Admission Procedure||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Offer|
|8||Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal||Based on Merit||INR 2,33,000||INR 5,00,000|
|85||Jain University, Bangalore||Based on Merit||INR 1,26,000||INR 4,25,000|
|101-150||VELS University, Chennai||Based on Merit||INR 80,300||INR 3,50,000|
|151-200||Chitkara University, Rajpura||Based on Merit||INR 1,34,000||INR 4,50,000|
|NA||Teerthanker Mahaveer University, Moradabad||Based on Merit||INR 72,800||INR 3,50,000|
This program is structured to meet the requirements of the growing industry and train the students in what matters the most. Students have trained enough right from the basic traditional animation to the high-end 3D animation and filmmaking.Alert: The admission process of BSc Animation colleges have been postponed due to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis. Check the latest dates for admission to Teerthanker Mahaveer University.
Candidates with BSc Animation get jobs in various sectors of animation and multimedia across the country massively such as Game Designers and 3D Animators in web design, films, Television, Web Designers, and other forms of the interactive media industry. Various Studios such as Technicolor, Xentrix Studio, Dreamworks, and Tata Elxsi Studio are some major employers in this field.
The salary for BSc Animation degree holders will differ with their field and position. The average salary of Bachelor of Science in Animation candidates will range between INR 3,00,000 – 6,00,000 per annum which increases with an increase in experience and expertise.
The candidates willing to go for higher studies can go for courses like MSc Animation. They can also do various certificate courses in Graphics, Image Processing, etc. What is the Admission Process for BSc Animation?
What is the Admission Process for BSc Animation?
The Admission to BSc Animation is granted on the basis of marks obtained in the 10+2 level. The general admission process is discussed below.
- College application forms for admission are available both offline and online depending on the college.
- The college will go through all the applications and shortlist the top candidates. Merit list will be prepared with these candidates.
- The shortlisted candidates will be called for document verification and personal interview.
- The candidates found eligible will be granted admission to the course.
- Students who are intending to do BSc Animation shall be admitted only at the beginning of the academic year.
What is the Eligibility Criteria for BSc Animation?
BSc in Animation admission varies from college to college. The admission for most of the institutes is based on the candidate’s score at the 10+2 level or equivalent examination
- The basic eligibility criteria to apply for the course is the minimum of a 50% aggregate in 10+2 exam from a recognized college/ board.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% (Relaxation of 5% i.e. 45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the 10+2 level.
- Candidates awaiting their 10+2 examination results are also eligible to apply to any institution, provided they clear the eligibility criteria by the time of document verification.
Is There any Entrance Exam for BSc Animation?
- There are no such entrance exams for BSc Animation courses that are conducted for admission to the course.
- Students with a good score at 10+2 level can take admissions to any college that provides a BSc Animation course.
- A few colleges are there that conduct aptitude tests of the already shortlisted candidates to check the knowledge level.
How to Get Admission in a Good BSc Animation College?
To get admission in the top BSc Animation College, the following points must be kept in mind:
- The candidate should start working on aptitude and reasoning tests as few colleges prefer that for the BSc Animation program.
- The performance in the aptitude test is the basic selection procedure followed by counseling.
- Having a good score in the previous qualifying exam is an advantage for the candidates to take admission into any good college.
|Top BSc Animation Colleges in Maharashtra||Top Animation Colleges in Karnataka|
BSc Animation: What is it about?
- The animation is the art of bringing inanimate objects or characters to life, a world where reality meets imagination. It consists of graphics, special effects, and software technologies that create virtual experiences.
- The BSc Animation course conveys the technical skills needed for a career in animation, with a strong foundation in core principles of art and design to the eligible candidates.
- The BSc Animation course includes basic training in computer animation, application of software programs such as Photoshop and Flash and training in the more specialized techniques used in animation.
- Candidates learn the basics of designing like sketching, drawing, model sketching, etc.
- The students would be skilled in manipulating images and information from a variety of sources including audio, video, still images, animation, physical objects, text, soundtracks, and digital data using computer applications and related visual and sound techniques.
- This program is structured for candidates who want to explore new skills in communication through animation and are interested in exploring the creative potential of the interchange between words and images in traditional and innovative media.
BSc Animation Course Highlights
Tabulation below is the details of the BSc Animation program followed by the eligibility, duration, course fee, admission process, job profiles, areas of employment, etc.
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Science Animation|
|Eligibility||10+2 passed or equivalent education with a minimum of 50% marks from a recognized board/ school.|
|Admission process||Based on 10+2 exam score / Merit-based|
|Average Course Fee||INR 8,000 – 2,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3,00,000 – 7,00,000|
|Top Recruiters||Pentamedia Graphics, Crest Animation Studio Ltd, Maya Entertainment Ltd, Toonz Animation India, UTV Toonz, Heart Entertainment Ltd, Nipuna Services, Anibrain, Reliance Mediaworks Ltd, etc.|
|Job Profiles||Flash Animator, Art Director, BG Modeller, 3D Animator, Comic Book Artist, Concept Designer, Industrial Designer, Layout Artist, Film and Video Editor, Storyboard Artist, Technical Director, Videogame Designer, VFX Supervisor, etc.|
|Areas of Employment||Colleges/universities, gaming industry, private companies, environmental consultancies, advertising agencies, environmental protection agencies, information systems organizations, education authorities, News & Magazines, website design industry, tourism, etc.|
Why Should You Study BSc Animation?
Why Should You Study BSc Animation?
- The animation and gaming industry is one of the trending industries which has evolved from a smaller perceptive to a greater perspective.
- Students who want to learn about the classical processes of developing high-quality traditionally animated films may ideally opt for this course.
- BSc Animation courses could be a suitable option for those interested in pursuing a career in animation, film, television, VFX, advertising, and gaming.
- The average placement salary for BSc Animation candidates is quite high and ranges between INR 3,00,000 – 7,00,000.
- The course helps to enable students to update their knowledge about the rapid growth of various technologies.
- The course gives an opportunity for the students to develop the basic skills in design, animation, multimedia, interactive applications, and publications along with communicative skills in English.
BSc Animation vs BSc Multimedia
BSc in Animation is a degree that deals with the process of designing, drawing, and preparation of photographic sequence which is integrated with gaming & animation and BSc Multimedia degree deals with the visual communication that transforms learners of multimedia into skilled professionals of Graphics Designing, Animation, and Multimedia. Both these graduate degrees has the following differences between them:
|Parameters||BSc Animation||BSc Multimedia|
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Science Animation||Bachelor of Science Multimedia|
|Duration||3 years||3 years|
|Eligibility||10+2 passed or equivalent education with a minimum of 50% marks from a recognized board/ school.||10+2 passed with a minimum of 50% marks from a recognized board/ school.|
|Admission Process||Based on 10+2 exam score / Merit-based||Direct admission based on 10+2 exam score / Merit-based|
|Average course Fees||INR 8,000 – 2,00,000||INR 20,000 – 3,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3,00,000 – 7,00,000||INR 3,00,000 – 6,00,000|
|Top Recruiters||Pentamedia Graphics, Crest Animation Studio Ltd, Maya Entertainment Ltd, Toonz Animation India, UTV Toonz, Heart Entertainment Ltd, Nipuna Services, Anibrain, Reliance Mediaworks Ltd, etc.||Global News Network, HT Media Ltd, Percept Picture Company, Reliance Mediaworks, Star India, Madison Communications Pvt. Ltd, Creative Eye Ltd, Asianet Communications Ltd, etc.|
|Job Profiles||Flash Animator, Art Director, BG Modeller, 3D Animator, Comic Book Artist, Concept Designer, Industrial Designer, Layout Artist, Film and Video Editor, Storyboard Artist, Technical Director, Videogame Designer, VFX Supervisor, etc.||Digital Artist, Graphic Designer, 3D Modeler, Storyboard Artist, Flash Designer, Technical Director, Texturing Artist, etc.|
|Areas of Employment||Colleges/universities, gaming industry, private companies, environmental consultancies, advertising agencies, environmental protection agencies, information systems organizations, education authorities, News & Magazines, website design industry, tourism, etc.||Documentary Making, Film Industry, Radio Stations, News & Media, Television Industry, Content Writing, advertising agency, tourism, private companies, etc.|
Which are the Top BSc Animation Colleges?
The tabulation below shows the best BSc Animation colleges and universities that offer the course.
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College Name||Location||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Offer|
|8||Manipal Academy of Higher Education||Manipal||INR 2,33,000||INR 5,00,000|
|85||Jain University||Bangalore||INR 1,26,000||INR 4,25,000|
|101-150||VELS University||Chennai||INR 80,300||INR 3,50,000|
|151-200||Chitkara University||Rajpura||INR 1,34,000||INR 4,50,000|
|NA||Teerthanker Mahaveer University||Moradabad||INR 72,800||INR 3,50,000|
|NP||Fergusson College||Pune||INR 11,025||INR 3,00,000|
Which Subjects are taught in BSc Animation?
The BSc animation syllabus is almost the same in all the colleges. The table below shows common subjects that are included in the structured BSc Animation syllabus and subjects included in it:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Elements of Information Technology||Computer-based 2D Animation|
|Introduction to Programming Language||Multimedia & Computer Graphics|
|Foundation Art||Introduction to 3D Animation & Modeling-I|
|Basics of Animation||Introduction to Mass Communication & Media Literacy|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Technical English-I||Technical English – II|
|3-D Animation – I||3D Animation – II|
|Production Process – I||Production Process – II|
|Multimedia – I||Multimedia – II|
|Composing & Editing||Layout and Perspective|
|Color Theory||Sketching and Landscaping|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Script Writing – I||Script Writing – II|
|Content Development Direction I||Content Development Direction –II|
|Gaming Technology||Gaming Production|
|Digital Editing & Motion Graphic I||Digital Editing & Motion Graphics –II|
|Visual Effects –I||Visual Effects – II|
|V.F.X.- I||V.F.X. – II|
Which Books are Required for BSc Animation?
Tabulated below are some of the Animation-related subject books that can help students to have a broader and better understanding of the course. The books mentioned below will also help the students in cracking various Animation exams.
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Understanding of 3D Animation||John Edgar Park|
|Animation Development||David B Levy|
|Computer Animation||Daniel Thalmann|
|The Art of Fluid Animation||Jos Stam|
|Blender 3D Basics||Gordon Fisher|
What are the top animation schools in the US?
|1||Ringling College of Art and Design||Florida||Top 1%|
|2||California Institute of the Arts||California||1%|
|3||Savannah College of Art and Design||Georgia||2%|
|4||University of California, Los Angeles||California||3%|
|5||University of Southern California||California||3%|
|6||School of Visual Arts||New York||4%|
|7||New York University||New York||4%|
|8||Rhode Island School of Design||Rhode Island||5%|
|9||Gnomon School of Visual Effects||California||5%|
|10||School of the Art Institute of Chicago||Illinois||6%|
|11||Rochester Institute of Technology||New York||6%|
|12||Pratt Institute||New York||7%|
|13||Otis College of Art and Design||California||7%|
|14||Carnegie Mellon University||Pennsylvania||8%|
|15||Academy of Art University||California||8%|
|16||California College of the Arts||California||9%|
|17||San Jose State University||California||9%|
|18||Brigham Young University||Utah||10%|
|19||Full Sail University||Florida||10%|
|20||ArtCenter College of Design||California||15%|